23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
The price was as per their website, I believe $290ish or something like that for the kit.

I will have to go back to the pics of that MASSIVE dream shop. Was there no aluminum spool gun anywhere?? With your multi talents welding must be included....why not a custom done by you aluminum pod?? Of course with every detail listed on this thread.

HM

I will have to go back to the pics of that MASSIVE dream shop. Was there no aluminum spool gun anywhere?? With your multi talents welding must be included....why not a custom done by you aluminum pod?? Of course with every detail listed on this thread.

HM

Yep, I have an aluminum spool gun for my Lincoln and a tig, brand new, never used yet :) was thinking that as well but material would be at least 2k, not sure if I would be saving money if I made a mistake or buying more material than what I exactly need... cut-offs etc

Yep, I have an aluminum spool gun for my Lincoln and a tig, brand new, never used yet :) was thinking that as well but material would be at least 2k, not sure if I would be saving money if I made a mistake or buying more material than what I exactly need... cut-offs etc
You make a mistake???????

Either does not happen or you forget to post. Ha ha I am sure you would design, plan, purchase, weld and complete with NO extra waste pieces.

Your doing an absolute awesome job on your boat and this thread. Please continue. BZ

HM

You make a mistake???????

Either does not happen or you forget to post. Ha ha I am sure you would design, plan, purchase, weld and complete with NO extra waste pieces.

Your doing an absolute awesome job on your boat and this thread. Please continue. BZ

HM

haha, I should do a bloopers vid but kinda boring :) So far no big mistakes, although I was concerned to spray the gelcoat... lol

Happy to see you went with Gel for the hull, you’ll be happy with the durability. As for wax there is nothing better or longer lasting than collonite 885, forget the cream waxes.

I was surprised /glad you went with gelcoat on the hull.you've got bigger kahoona's than me,I'd be sweating bullets that it kicked off too soon or not at all.You'll be glad you did it in the long run.You must have controlled the heat in your shop somehow.

I was surprised /glad you went with gelcoat on the hull.you've got bigger kahoona's than me,I'd be sweating bullets that it kicked off too soon or not at all.You'll be glad you did it in the long run.You must have controlled the heat in your shop somehow.

My dad use to say "if it was easy anyone could do it"! :cool: Funny, you are not the first to tell me I had BIG kahoona's, lol

I done some testing before hand, based on humanity and temp, the sweet spot seemed to be just below 2% MEK, so for 500ml batches we added 8-9cc of MEK. That gave me about 9-10mins MAX (each new batch was timed once started with MEK) of working time so I had to have all the material out of the HPLV before then, before it started to kick. I did get caught once and had to take the spray gun apart and a quick clean before carrying on with the spray, which took about 4-5mins... :) I didn't play around with the working pressure much so that was set at 50psi and the flow was all the way open.

Last edited:
Hey, I am thinking about leaving the bottom gelcoat for now, was going to paint with bottom paint but changed my mind. The bottom gelcoat will have some orange peel but is not too bad, can anyone foresee any issues with this choice?
Orange peel will make it faster, like a golf ball, also like the roll on speed coat they use on circle boats and drag boats. Back in the day some used Teflon, others would use 120 grit sand paper to scuff it up then graphite spray. Lol yours will be fine.

Looking forward to your fibreglass pod build.

Any real useful information was from members on here. I would say having someone fab it in aluminum for you would be quicker however with your fiberglass skills!
Two piece pod with integrated swim platform, a couple pails of resin. Spray your coats of Gelcote on the mold before you start glassing.
I think you could do a beautiful job!
Would there be any significant weight difference aluminum vs wood/fiberglass? Would it matter?

Would there be any significant weight difference aluminum vs wood/fiberglass? Would it matter?
I would think fiberglass heavier. Armstrong bracket seems to be the term used most in the states and while it was some time ago I was researching them there wasn't much to be found for information and nobody really willing to offer advice.

That boat looks awesome Rob. I’m so glad you didn’t get rid of it. You’re gonna love it when it’s done. Plus we all get to see the fibreglass pod building expedition. It’s going to be epic, I can tell.

Oly

That boat looks awesome Rob. I’m so glad you didn’t get rid of it. You’re gonna love it when it’s done. Plus we all get to see the fibreglass pod building expedition. It’s going to be epic, I can tell.

Oly

Thanks man! I keep telling myself the worst is over with :) haha, once the top-side is done things should go quicker but allot of work to be done on it, it was in BAD shape. As I told @wolf , no-one has ever accused me of taking the easy way out :eek:, the gel-coat is proof, now that was a fair bit of work...!

Last edited:
Back