Best rough water boat 24 feet or under

Second
I’ve been really happy with the performance of my trophy 2359 in nasty waters. Does well off shore or in the straight.
Second the trophy 2359. If you've been in one there heavy and the cabin you stay dry. Buddy crossed the strait in storm warnings and faired well sittin dry as he drove. Only thing I find is you sit pretty far fwd so when chop is steep into it you feel it. But offshore and the bigger the waves the better it does. I'd have no problem in his boat any condition our coast can toss at us

I would sacrifice stability for a more aggressive dead-rise personally. 20 deg plus at the transom and the ride going straight into it improves greatly. Also narrow for a boats overall length greatly improves in the same situation. They will be tippy at rest and will pitch/roll with a following sea though, that’s the trade off. Put as much angle as you want in the front of a 20-24’ boat it will pound going head into em, need that dead-rise in the guts and aft to soften the blows, unless you want to plow around all day. There are some older Wellcraft coastals in the 23-24’ range that have a 22 degree dead-rise and not too beamy that handle the head on stuff well. I don’t know why someone hasn’t turned out a 25 degree 23’x8’ for our west coast, I’d be first in line.
I’m a glass guy, but there are some decent riding tin boats these days. I can’t make the switch but others perhaps could.

I would sacrifice stability for a more aggressive dead-rise personally. 20 deg plus at the transom and the ride going straight into it improves greatly. Also narrow for a boats overall length greatly improves in the same situation. They will be tippy at rest and will pitch/roll with a following sea though, that’s the trade off. Put as much angle as you want in the front of a 20-24’ boat it will pound going head into em, need that dead-rise in the guts and aft to soften the blows, unless you want to plow around all day. There are some older Wellcraft coastals in the 23-24’ range that have a 22 degree dead-rise and not too beamy that handle the head on stuff well. I don’t know why someone hasn’t turned out a 25 degree 23’x8’ for our west coast, I’d be first in line.
I’m a glass guy, but there are some decent riding tin boats these days. I can’t make the switch but others perhaps could.
My old 1992 wellcraft sportsmen handles fairly good in rough stuff head on, not so good when surfing a big following sea.Hard to say as most boat i been in rough stuff in where 25-28 feet, but pursuit was one of the one that stood out, sea trial a 2470 with an inboard but not in rough stuff,a grady 232, a monaro 24, all where really nice riding boats that i am sure would handle the rough stuff with ease, older bayliner and campions not so good, newer ones might be another story, never been in one. Add a monaro 24 out of bamfield heading off shore side by side with me in my wellcraft and sweet looking ride in the not so nice condition we where in

i have had my 23' glasply in some very nasty weather, always rode well, even with waves going over the hardtop

So far almost everyone has suggested glass. Why are aluminum so popular. I fish out of point Roberts where glass is the popular option but I was blown away my fist time on the island how popular aluminum was. The reason I went for aluminum was because I wanted to be able to beach it and explore and I love the fishing setups with the high gunnels and big deck space and easy to keep dry in the rain. Yesterday fishing in Vancouver got very rough so we trolled the pink building hoping to get a jump on hatchery coho. And watch various boats approach the Lions Gate. The standing wave was the biggest I've seen it in my life. The fiberglass boats that didn't chicken out seemed to handle it slightly better. I saw a couple boats that's had difficulty getting back into the harbour. And three boats drove up to the bridge only to turn around and hang out the extra two hours to slack tide. Thanks for the information. I'm really looking hard at the orca.

So far almost everyone has suggested glass. Why are aluminum so popular. I fish out of point Roberts where glass is the popular option but I was blown away my fist time on the island how popular aluminum was. The reason I went for aluminum was because I wanted to be able to beach it and explore and I love the fishing setups with the high gunnels and big deck space and easy to keep dry in the rain. Yesterday fishing in Vancouver got very rough so we trolled the pink building hoping to get a jump on hatchery coho. And watch various boats approach the Lions Gate. The standing wave was the biggest I've seen it in my life. The fiberglass boats that didn't chicken out seemed to handle it slightly better. I saw a couple boats that's had difficulty getting back into the harbour. And three boats drove up to the bridge only to turn around and hang out the extra two hours to slack tide. Thanks for the information. I'm really looking hard at the orca.
Aluminum is hard on the butt and back, not the best riding hull in rough shat, they can handle it, not the best riding hull in rough water. The is based on the ones i have been on, Northwest and a kingfisher

So far almost everyone has suggested glass. Why are aluminum so popular.

Your first question was answered best by @CBsqrd quoted below:

As a general rule of thumb:
- fiberglass rides better than aluminum. Compound curves allow more freedom with the hull shape and are typically heavier
- more deadrise cuts through waves better than less, but will require more fuel
- less beam cuts through waves better than more beam
- in that size boat, trim tabs will belt ALOT

IMO, in that size bracket tough to beat a Pursuit 2470 or 255 or a Grady White Gulfstream 232. The Pursuit is a bit longer than 24’ and the Grady carries quite a bit of beam for its size (9’3”). I have been in 2470 out of Tofino in some sporty conditions and was quite impressed (that model seems to be particularly popular there with the local guides). I haven’t been in an Gulfstream but they seem to be well regarded.

I haven’t ridden in a 23’ Hourston, but I’m sure someone will post that they are the best riding boat made since Noah built his ark...

I’m assuming you are looking for a WA/express/pilot house type boat and not a center/dual console, catamaran, etc.

In my opinion aluminum boats are very popular around here for a few reasons:
1. the image of toughness
2. the manufacturers are making cabin boats that are well suited to our climate
3. easily customizable
4. low maintenance (no waxing, etc)

Be careful though, aluminums hulls can be vulnerable to cracked welds or fatigue cracking with hard use, and all the systems on the boat will still require maintenance and/or replacement the same as a fiberglass boat.

When someone asks how well a boat rides in rough stuff I assume you want to know how the passengers feel when riding in the rough stuff,not how the boat handles it.Fiberglass,width,length ,deadrise and weight will determine that.

Eaglecraft 24' Talon model.
I have had this boat out in very snotty ****. Punching into waves that go over the cabin top.
Ripped off the wiper blade and had to drive with the head out the window.
Do not have suspension seats and they are not even on the wish list.
Skipper needs to be very active on the trim tabs, but that is the same for any boat with good deadrise.

Nothing is going to easily handle the sloppy reflected waves off Cape Mudge or on the way to Rat's Nose in the fog.
Falling off the backside of two superimposed waves is always ugly.
As stated, an individual's intestinal fortitude usually classifies a 'bad ride'.

It is comforting to know that you are going to break before your boat.

I’m going on my 5th season with a 24 foot Skagit Orca. To paraphrase Walleyes, there is no such animal as the “best” boat. One way or the other, all boat ownership is a compromise .

The Orca was designed with chasing albacore in mind so the designers put steep chine and an aggressive bow in the boat for cutting through big water. It does that, and it does that well. Last year I made the crossing from Ucluelet to the Broken Group and it was blowing a steady 30 knts from the NW. Everything was fine in the big swells but there were some talk-to-Jesus moments when I approached the narrow pass between Clark and Benson Islands. Those big swells were stacking up on a shallow rock shelf that sticks out on both sides of that pass and instantly they became breaking 8 footers. Going into them was sketchy but manageable. The talk-to-Jeseus part of the trip was once I got past them and they became a following sea. The calm water once I got through the pass couldn’t have come quick enough.

That’s the compromise part when you buy the “best” boat—-In following seas, the 24 foot Orca can be a downright scary boat to drive. You can trim up your tabs and trim up the leg of your motor but when you skate down the face of a wave with that aggressive bow, (the one that gave you so much confidence pounding in to the big seas,) it will become your nemesis as it sloughs off to port or starboard without warning once it buries into the trough.

I have had numerous following-seas experiences in that boat. Lots of throttle chopping and wheel-turning and heart-thumping going on......My boat prior to the Orca—-a 21 foot Arima—-you needed a kidney belt going in to big water but it was a rubber duck in following seas—-I always felt safe and in control when the water came in behind me

That’s all part of that compromise when you’re trying to decide on a boat. You have to get the one that ticks off the most boxes of what you’re looking for. It will never tick off all the boxes (unless you decide to belly up to the bar, break out the 1/2 big one that was supposed to be for the new house you promised your wife, and spring for that 30 ft Ocean Roamer with the quad Yamahas )

Me, I just liked the look of the Orca, especially the bow and the wheelhouse with the heavy-duty glass —it looked like a bad-butt rig. Once that box was ticked, I reached for my wallet....ha ha

Just my .02 cents, subject to crappy currency conversion rates....
Interesting that you mention the 30 Ocean Roamer. Was my dream boat too. However I heard they don't do well into rough head seas. Got to see that first hand on a trip to Bamfield from Victoria in my 2700 SeaSport. It was pretty rough and we could not get up top cruise speed but we slowly overtook a 30 Roamer in front of us. They ended up pulling in behind us all the way into Bamfield inlet and ended up going to Harbourside Marina with us. I talked to the guys after and they said they told the captain to "follow the Seasport they look like they know what they are doing" Ha ha. The last 3 boats I have had can take rougher water that me or my crew can handle. Have not felt unsafe in any of them. I am also pretty cautious and pay attention to weather.
The Orca is along the build quality as the SeaSport. Well built west coast boats

Back in the day the Bayshore resort (now Island West) in Ucluelet had a fleet exclusively of mid-late 1970's 24 ft SeaRays. According to Norm, the owner they were the only boat that held-up to the beating. Buddy of mine is a marine surveyor. According to Jay, the late 70's were the heyday of well-built F/G boats, and the the Grady's with less dead rise were designed for Gulf of Mexico sea conditions, not our NW Pacific.
I owned my 24 SeaRay for a decade or so; it was always moored in either Ucluelet or Tofino. Handles the rough way better than my current ride; 33ft Chris Craft. For the rough, you want heavy & a deep-vee.

I'm curious to hear from any Monaro boat owners on this one, especially the 21- 24 foot boat.
I've often wondered if they live up to the hype about them being such a great rough water boat.
monarrow, offshore pencil, run so well in rough water!!

I have a 24 Monaro which is factory podded with a 250 Suzuki on the back. With "only" an 8 ft beam and length of 24 ft, some people might think that it is skinny for length. BUT.....It does ride extremely well in just about any sea condition that any reasonable person would want to be out in. My avatar is a pic of me coming back into Nootka after being many miles offshore in some pretty snotty weather and seas. Cruising back in at speed was no problem. These boats have very high sides, so you feel very safe if it is rocking and rolling from side to side. May not be for everyone, nothing ever is, but sure works well for me.

It would be very interesting to throw up some specs for the different boats.
The interwebs are not being friendly for the Talon specs.
Will have to see if I have some literature at home.

There is a trade off in everything.
For the big FG battle wagons, it is the power and fuel required to get some speed.

I don't think anyone has mention catamarans yet? Have personally never been on one, but imagine they would ride well in the rough?

I'm just realizing I don't know if catamarans 24' or under are a thing?

Last edited:
How
It would be very interesting to throw up some specs for the different boats.
The interwebs are not being friendly for the Talon specs.
Will have to see if I have some literature at home.

There is a trade off in everything.
For the big FG battle wagons, it is the power and fuel required to get some speed.
How is the eagle craft powered?

Back