US Coastguard/RCMP Checks.

Anyone know if I can get a ticket for expired flares if I don't need flares in the first place? My second pack is expiring soon.
Boat is under 6m and I have several waterproof flashlights.
You may not get a ticket but outdated flares do present an increased risk and an insurance liability. A better name for expired flares might be “unexploded” flares, since they are incendiary devices even past the expiration date. The chemicals in flares become unstable and unpredictable, not inert, with time. I recently replaced my outdated flares and returned the old ones to the place of purchase.

You may not get a ticket but outdated flares do present an increased risk and an insurance liability. A better name for expired flares might be “unexploded” flares, since they are incendiary devices even past the expiration date. The chemicals in flares become unstable and unpredictable, not inert, with time. I recently replaced my outdated flares and returned the old ones to the place of purchase.
Good to know, thanks.

I agree with Foxsea .Hand held flare if showing damage should discarded .If the sulfer becomes loose and unstable due to being stepped on, bent,heavy objects dropped on you now have a (big B) in your hand if ignighted.

Some years ago we spent new years eve on a farm and burned up our old expired flares of all shapes and sizes on an open field in the snow. Some were many years after expiry date and it was surprising how well most of the stuff still functioned. Some flare bullets didn't go off anymore and on some of the large hand-launched flare rockets the parachute didn't work anymore so they dropped out of the sky within a few seconds and burned for minutes on the ground in the snow. My takeaway was that I'd rather have expired flares than none but you should have new ones on board not just to be in compliance and to avoid a ticket.

I have been stopped a few times by this joint task force near Sidney. What an operation. US Coast guard boat with full crew along with an inflatable with 3 officers so that they can check the expiry date on my flares?? I didn't have any problem and checked out but this is an incredible waste of time and resources. Pretty sure that they could figure out that I wasn't smuggling drugs, trolling at 2.5 knots with fishing lines out ,without being descended upon by the SWAT team.
While a few of you have defended this operation to improve boating safety, I call BS. If this is really the concern, why do they need this huge production at immense cost to taxpayers? Instead, they could put a a single officer at the local boat launch and check every boat going out in the morning and they wouldn't even need a boat to do it! This would educate boaters before they hit the water and in some cases prevent major violators from even getting on the water. Plus, they could check people coming back in the afternoon for compliance with fishing regulations.
This approached is doomed to fail however as it involves common sense, logic, and the preservation of taxpayer $$.

If any you know how bad the Feds Phoenix software works, you’ll understand why the Feds use US Coast Guard rather than Canadian CG. Probably way easier to cut a check to a foreign country than to pay their own Canadian CG employees on time!
Way to go Trudeau!
My 2 cents
Stosh

They often have cops checking at docks and ramps as there are way more cops than actual DFO officers. We see them at Cattle Point often in the summer.

If any you know how bad the Feds Phoenix software works, you’ll understand why the Feds use US Coast Guard rather than Canadian CG. Probably way easier to cut a check to a foreign country than to pay their own Canadian CG employees on time!
Way to go Trudeau!
My 2 cents
Stosh
Actually the Phoenix disaster spanned 3 governments now and started towards the end of the Harper regime, Stosh:
https://www.macleans.ca/news/the-phoenix-pay-system-disaster-explained/
Lots to critique about costume-boys tenure - but the start of the Phoneix debacle is Harper's to own.

And the deterioration of the Coast Guard fleet is due to the combining of DFO's fleet into the Coast Guard in 1994 under Jean Chrétien & the Liberals after they were elected - but that succession planning started with Brian Mulroney & the Conservatives prior to 1993 (circa 1990). The Coast Guard did NOT want to be integrated with DFO and had to scrap it's fleet revitalization & replacement program in order to take on the extra costs of maintenance for DFOs vessels w/o an addition of $ to do that. The results of those decisions we see now - and are NOT the fault of people in the Coast Guard - but again the Conservatives:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Coast_Guard

I also have the same experience as Chris73 with flares and echo his comments there....

Last edited:
Had some expired flares many years ago . Thought it would be good for the wife to learn how they actually work . Well I shot one off to show her proper , then her turn . Perfect technique until it fractured and burnt and cut her hand . Tears followed by several weeks of doghouse . I dont recommend old flares

Canadian Border Services were making their rounds a few weeks back at Burrard Civic Marina. Said they were checking all the marinas in False Creek for US registrations. Just sloooowly strolling around in a group of three shootin' the ****. You'd swear they were on a lunch break. God forbid they split up to cover more ground.

Canadian Border Services were making their rounds a few weeks back at Burrard Civic Marina. Said they were checking all the marinas in False Creek for US registrations. Just sloooowly strolling around in a group of three shootin' the ****. You'd swear they were on a lunch break. God forbid they split up to cover more ground.
They do customs clearance in False Creek at the Fisherman's Warf. If they are down there doing some of that they will often also do some random walk abouts. Have seen them around a fair bit over the years. They were around just last weekend too.

They do customs clearance in False Creek at the Fisherman's Warf. If they are down there doing some of that they will often also do some random walk abouts. Have seen them around a fair bit over the years. They were around just last weekend too.
Seems like an awfully long way to let a US boat go before having them check in.

Seems like an awfully long way to let a US boat go before having them check in.
Ya there's a few clearance landing spots people can use. I think with today's border surveillance by air, land technology they pretty much know where all the vessels are coming from and going to. If you see the big black choppers around Victoria/San Juan and up the WC and back around Steveston, Vancouver etc those are the border watchers I was told. They came down over us quite a lot one day when we were fishing/whale watching around the San Juan's/Victoria last year and see them around lot's now.

Just a few more years and the war on drugs will be won. Just a little longer they promise. I mean look at the recent string of victories.

Now I accept that I will never see it, but at this rate it might happen before the sun burns out.

Way to go Trudeau!
My 2 cents
Stosh

Of course you do know Harper brought in Phoenix, despite his lackeys knowing it was a turd but being too scared to tell the emperor? I do agree that Trudeau replacing Phoenix ranks up there with legalization of Mary-Jane as a couple of his best moves ... way to go, indeed!

Cheers!

Ukee

As someone who missed 9 months of pay and went 3.5 years with my pay being wrong or effing wrong I have a dog in this fight.
Oct 2015 election won by Liberal Party
Feb 2016 implementation of Phoenix
From Wikipedia
By April 2016, CBC News reported that there were thousands of public servants experiencing Phoenix payroll problems with initial complaints about underpayments. The PSAC, a federal employee union, called for the Liberal government to delay the second phase of the Phoenix roll out.[18] Despite this request, the federal government rolled out Phoenix to the remaining 67 departments on April 21, 2016, and decommissioned the old system.[8]

The Harper government filled the dumpster with promises of efficiency
and the sunny days, sunny ways crew torched it off, not happy with a small dumpster fire they started a huge tire fire that still burns today. Despite what anybody might tell you 4 years in, the system still can't count to potato.

Last edited:
Back