Boat decision....

My two cents worth. When my wife and I retired, we decided we didn't need all this pounding and cramp quarters. We wanted something that we could stay in and spend some time out on the water and enjoy fishing etc. Nothing like a complete vessel that has a galley, head and all the features of home. I had a semi-custom boat built to my specs. Best thing I did. Time has caught up to me and I can't maintain my vessel anymore. Did almost all my own work so I know everything was done right. If your interested in a turn key boat that ready to go traveling and anchoring out someplace to yourselves, PM me and I'll send you some picture of my vessel that I'm thinking about letting go of. It is powered by a pair of diesels 630hp and has a genset. Forgot, 30ft. moored in fresh river water and boat house kept. Problem is it's in the U.S.

Attachments

• Norstar 19-2.JPG
    Norstar 19-2.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
My two cents worth. When my wife and I retired, we decided we didn't need all this pounding and cramp quarters. We wanted something that we could stay in and spend some time out on the water and enjoy fishing etc. Nothing like a complete vessel that has a galley, head and all the features of home. I had a semi-custom boat built to my specs. Best thing I did. Time has caught up to me and I can't maintain my vessel anymore. Did almost all my own work so I know everything was done right. If your interested in a turn key boat that ready to go traveling and anchoring out someplace to yourselves, PM me and I'll send you some picture of my vessel that I'm thinking about letting go of. It is powered by a pair of diesels 630hp and has a genset. Forgot, 30ft.
Very cool

A rather like the welded in floor of the SS. If you crab and shrimp as well as kill many fishes in the boat, it tends to keep stinking debris from getting in the cracks like a wood floor. I had SS price out a 26’ boat directly without much issue, including some semi custom changes. While they are more expensive than the others, you have to compare apples to apples. They all have a budget line and a more refined feature laden line so to compare you have to use the similar lines. In my order of preference at this point would be, SS, Hews, and Kingfisher based on my experiences with all three. Hewes has made great strides in making saltwater boats in the last couple years and I would now have to take a good hard look at them if I were in the market. Kingfisher needs to stop bolting ss railings and other ss hardware all over their boats without proper isolation. It just leads to dissimilar metal corrosion and makes the boat look like hell in a couple seasons of hard saltwater use. It is a welded aluminum boat so weld some freakin aluminum rails on it!

I like aluminum boat also but, no one made a boat like this in metal. Anyway, my deck is one piece non-skid fiberglass, self draining with gutters all the way around the cockpit. Raw water washdown to clean the gunk and freshwater washdown to clean off the salt crust that builds up later. In all the years of fishing, I learned what I needed to deal with all the downside of fishing. I've been blessed to be able to buy a boat like I have.

....well we are close to making our decision: 1825 Falcon Kingfisher....choice is between a private sale and a new boat > 5m difference virtually same equipment, motor etc. ...the used is about 18 months old with 15 hours on the motor. Will cost me about a 1m to get it, should I be getting an inspection/sea trial or with such low hours am I ok to purchase ?? The boat is in the sellers garage and from pics etc. seems to be in excellent shape....thanks for any further thoughts

....well we are close to making our decision: 1825 Falcon Kingfisher....choice is between a private sale and a new boat > 5m difference virtually same equipment, motor etc. ...the used is about 18 months old with 15 hours on the motor. Will cost me about a 1m to get it, should I be getting an inspection/sea trial or with such low hours am I ok to purchase ?? The boat is in the sellers garage and from pics etc. seems to be in excellent shape....thanks for any further thoughts
I vote for an inspection. You wouldn't believe what dummies (like me) can do to a boat in 15 hours/18 months.

....well we are close to making our decision: 1825 Falcon Kingfisher....choice is between a private sale and a new boat > 5m difference virtually same equipment, motor etc. ...the used is about 18 months old with 15 hours on the motor.
I'm going to take a guess that the boat you're referring too is in Maple ridge. I would never buy a car without test driving it so a boat would be no different.

If they are very close in price... decide what the original owner warranty would be worth to you.. as well as 18 months more warranty on the outboard. I buy used beat things, but I've got the time and tools to fix them. I also buy them for pennies on the dollar. Cheers.

If they are very close in price... decide what the original owner warranty would be worth to you.. as well as 18 months more warranty on the outboard. I buy used beat things, but I've got the time and tools to fix them. I also buy them for pennies on the dollar. Cheers.

Yup, I'd buy the new one. My two cents, your $5k! :cool:

new always. if you want a used one you can have mine (2018, 50 hrs, professionally serviced at 35 hrs) and i'll throw in $8K cash + $5K worth of simrad electronics + $2K kicker with 3 yr warranty + 5yr extended warranty on 115HP yammy on top if you buy a 2025 and we can swap the two.

Last edited:
Reminds me of that guy that bought the ****** cutwater that sank. He wrote up this whole website to complain about it and as I'm reading it I'm just like jesus christ buddy I wouldn't want to sell you a cheeseburger! Some people have high expectations and think they can micromanage their way out of issues. Trust goes a long way in getting a quality service/ product. Let them breathe and they might just treat you better. I second that Chris at Inlet is a standup dude and his mechanic Dustin had been a ******* treat to discuss options with. They haven't even finished the job and I'm already happy with the service!
He might have been a dick.. but you have to ask yourself.. after reading that website.. would you ever want to own a cutwater?

He might have been a dick.. but you have to ask yourself.. after reading that website.. would you ever want to own a cutwater?
Even after reading it I still made an offer on one. It was after the survey that I decided to never buy a Cutwater :eek:

Yeah, the big takeaway for me there was that the Cutwater is pretty much exactly as it appears, which is "a floating RV with lots of doodads and mediocre build quality."

But that guy's problems didn't begin when he bought a ghetto-fabulous boat.
Agree 100%

Back