Salmon Stamp Required for Catch and Release?

Is the Salmon Stamp on a Licence required if we are not retaining Salmon?

I have I bought them for all of my families license but I got this question from out of country friends I am planning on taking out tomorrow.
From what I read on the current web site - "An annually-purchased Salmon Conservation Stamp ($6.00 + tax) must be affixed to licences held by anglers, both adult and juvenile, wishing to retain any species of Pacific salmon.
Each year, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) works with the Pacific Salmon Foundation to produce the Salmon Conservation Stamp. An angler wishing to retain any species of salmon must purchase and attach a conservation stamp to their licence. " (emphasis added). From that language, I would infer that no, you don't need one if you are not planning to retain salmon. The language would be much clearer if it read "retaining" as in the current situation there are plenty of people who "wish to retain" but cannot.

From what I read on the current web site - "An annually-purchased Salmon Conservation Stamp ($6.00 + tax) must be affixed to licences held by anglers, both adult and juvenile, wishing to retain any species of Pacific salmon.
Each year, Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) works with the Pacific Salmon Foundation to produce the Salmon Conservation Stamp. An angler wishing to retain any species of salmon must purchase and attach a conservation stamp to their licence. " (emphasis added). From that language, I would infer that no, you don't need one if you are not planning to retain salmon. The language would be much clearer if it read "retaining" as in the current situation there are plenty of people who "wish to retain" but cannot.

I've had this conversation with a dfo officer on the water. If you aren't retaining salmon, you don't need a tag.

I LOVE it goes to show once again how incompetent these clowns are , id call it on them nice work Marty!!!!!

Hi there, I thought we would chime in here. Although it is true you are not required to purchase a 'Salmon Stamp' if you aren't retaining Pacific salmon species. However that $6 dollar stamp goes a long way towards sustaining salmon fisheries. The entire $6 fee is given to us to be redistributed as grants to volunteer community groups across B.C. and the Yukon who operate conservation hatcheries, restore habitat and deliver classroom education about salmon conservation. On average the Stamp raises about $1.8 million per year for these volunteers. The even better story is that these seed grants generate matching cash and in-kind contributions from projects at a ratio of 7:1. So that $6 Stamp you purchase is actually $42 for salmon conservation! Just some food for thought :)

Hi there, I thought we would chime in here. Although it is true you are not required to purchase a 'Salmon Stamp' if you aren't retaining Pacific salmon species. However that $6 dollar stamp goes a long way towards sustaining salmon fisheries. The entire $6 fee is given to us to be redistributed as grants to volunteer community groups across B.C. and the Yukon who operate conservation hatcheries, restore habitat and deliver classroom education about salmon conservation. On average the Stamp raises about $1.8 million per year for these volunteers. The even better story is that these seed grants generate matching cash and in-kind contributions from projects at a ratio of 7:1. So that $6 Stamp you purchase is actually $42 for salmon conservation! Just some food for thought :)

Perhaps if the PSF wants more participation in the Salmon Fishery, They should be working on how to Enhance Upper Fraser River Chinook, Since its the one stock right now that is basically shutting down the whole coast! I sure hope the PSF makes it a priority! Its a shame that people cant even retain a hatchery fish and enjoy the fruits of labor that the PSF and its volunteers have put out.

Last edited:

At the risk of creating a lynch mob to come after me, I actually think for an ANNUAL license, the salmon tag should be significantly more expensive. We are blessed to be able to fish all year with an all in license cost of less than $30. People pay $1,000 or more for a permit to fish salmon in the rivers of Iceland for a few days. Those of us who take salmon should be prepared to give back in the form of funding for habitat restoration and hatchery projects. So, why not a $20 annual salmon tag, or even a $50 tag. To be clear, I think this should only apply to the annual license. PSF, how much of a difference would this make to your annual funding available for these projects?

I don't know why this question is even asked. So just go out there catch and release all the salmon a person can and release them back regardless of their condition, injured or bleeding, gill hooked. If you are going to attempt to catch any species of fish you should always be prepared to retain any fish that are going to die anyway. Otherwise you can kill multiple fish a day with no regards to the species or other sportsman out there.

I agree, the best day of fishing is to catch 12 nice Spring's and never bring a single one back to the dock. However we all need to be prepared to do the right thing.

If you are going to attempt to catch any species of fish you should always be prepared to retain any fish that are going to die anywa

Retention is closed for chinook in most of the south coast that's why this question is being asked

I get now, lets not keep any fish and spend more to enhance our Salmon so the Indians who pay nothing, can fish or net all year and get to sell them so they can make lots of money thanks the dumb white man who will make more fish for them.

Open the fishery for clipped fish and this all goes away. I can’t understand why we can’t harvest clipped Chinook? I initially thought the idea was to lessen impact on the Fraser run by avoiding the risk of catch and release that might harm them as by-catch .Now however we have catch and release happening anyhow and a one mile wide corridor on the West Coast of the Island where fishing is permitted for what I assume is the same stock. I’ve asked DFO if the West coast thing is because of migration pattern, but so far crickets! Either they don’t know the answer or it doesn’t fit their “scientific” solution.

Open the fishery for clipped fish and this all goes away. I can’t understand why we can’t harvest clipped Chinook? I initially thought the idea was to lessen impact on the Fraser run by avoiding the risk of catch and release that might harm them as by-catch .Now however we have catch and release happening anyhow and a one mile wide corridor on the West Coast of the Island where fishing is permitted for what I assume is the same stock. I’ve asked DFO if the West coast thing is because of migration pattern, but so far crickets! Either they don’t know the answer or it doesn’t fit their “scientific” solution.

Ziggy what I'm hearing is that the DFO can't exercise any real pressure on FN FSC fisheries in the Fraser until not a single other user group is taking fish regardless of whether it's that particular population of Chinook. They're fighting hard for their constitutional right of access. I don't like it or agree with it but we as a nation seem to have gotten ourselves into this ****** situation where there are 2 classes and 2 sets of rules. If you're not FN you're 2nd class when it comes to resource access. Time for constitutional change to move forward as one nation not 2. Otherwise the salmon really are doomed.

Ziggy what I'm hearing is that the DFO can't exercise any real pressure on FN FSC fisheries in the Fraser until not a single other user group is taking fish regardless of whether it's that particular population of Chinook. They're fighting hard for their constitutional right of access. I don't like it or agree with it but we as a nation seem to have gotten ourselves into this ****** situation where there are 2 classes and 2 sets of rules. If you're not FN you're 2nd class when it comes to resource access. Time for constitutional change to move forward as one nation not 2. Otherwise the salmon really are doomed.

Well said.....but in saying that perhaps the rule makers could also put in a solid effort in the river in question to be enforcers too and not just turn blind eyes to what's been going on for years.

Sorry.....not to hijack but this whole thing pisses me off from numerous angles.

Regardless.....C and R or not I don't mind the $6 knowing it's not going to general coffers.

I guess the question that needs to be asked is does their constitutional right of first harvest, which I have no problem with, include another nations fish as well? Does it apply to another countries, not bound by our constitution fish as well, or just Canada’s? In this case we are talking primarily American hatchery fish so it’s an interesting situation.

SECOND CLASS. Laughable term considering the history and how 98% of aboriginal people have been forced to live in poverty over the past 150 years or more.
If you want your rights back, stop registering your annual public fishing contracts...force Canada to stop race based fisheries and have them invest in something equitable, sustainable and science based.

Who's fault is it really...
Like the new profile pic! Welcome back.

At the risk of creating a lynch mob to come after me, I actually think for an ANNUAL license, the salmon tag should be significantly more expensive. We are blessed to be able to fish all year with an all in license cost of less than $30. People pay $1,000 or more for a permit to fish salmon in the rivers of Iceland for a few days. Those of us who take salmon should be prepared to give back in the form of funding for habitat restoration and hatchery projects. So, why not a $20 annual salmon tag, or even a $50 tag. To be clear, I think this should only apply to the annual license. PSF, how much of a difference would this make to your annual funding available for these projects?

Totally agree. Should be at least $50 for non residents.

Open the fishery for clipped fish and this all goes away. I can’t understand why we can’t harvest clipped Chinook?

With a bit of thought and science applied, DFO should have realized that this would
have been a better option.
Fraser fish would remain unharmed and all the people and jobs that rely on the fishery
would not be suffering.
This is clearly a political mandate brought on by ENGO groups backroom dealing with the Liberals.

With a bit of thought and science applied, DFO should have realized that this would
have been a better option.
Fraser fish would remain unharmed and all the people and jobs that rely on the fishery
would not be suffering.
This is clearly a political mandate brought on by ENGO groups backroom dealing with the Liberals.

Glad you get it.

Back