Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

If I were you I would question the source as our source here has a way of evading questions. He had links to the harvest info just like me but chose not to share that information. Can't get worked up to take out the pitchforks and torches when the numbers are so small.
As to the question as to why they can't limit out, I would follow what is happening in the Albion Chinook test fishery.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionchinook-quinnat-eng.html

Here is a couple of graphs with last years numbers of what we are up against.
image002.png

image002.png
DFO’s plan is working perfectly

DFO’s plan is working perfectly
I’m thinking the opposite. Unless the numbers improve it pretty much shows public fishery isn’t the root problem. Not much more can be done as far as public fishery is concerned after you’ve already closed it. Could it be there is a bigger problem that’s not being addressed? Hmmmm!

what a complete load of absolute f ' n crap - let them through for conservation reasons of endangered upper fraser chinook stocks to get netted ???????

Using the albion now as an indicator for what is going on in the Fraser is **** poor.

You want a true indication on the Fraser numbers start netting the Jespersons, Seabird or Scale bar area or other funnel areas.

Albion was doing good in the super low water in early May. As soon as water comes up its useless.

The bottlenecks and choke point is where your true numbers will come from.
Not a tidal expanse of the river.

Does the Albion count the number of fish taken from their sets by seals?

Using the albion now as an indicator for what is going on in the Fraser is **** poor.

You want a true indication on the Fraser numbers start netting the Jespersons, Seabird or Scale bar area or other funnel areas.

Albion was doing good in the super low water in early May. As soon as water comes up its useless.

The bottlenecks and choke point is where your true numbers will come from.
Not a tidal expanse of the river.

Does the Albion count the number of fish taken from their sets by seals?

Yeh shure....

index.php

If I were you I would question the source as our source here has a way of evading questions. He had links to the harvest info just like me but chose not to share that information. Can't get worked up to take out the pitchforks and torches when the numbers are so small.
As to the question as to why they can't limit out, I would follow what is happening in the Albion Chinook test fishery.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionchinook-quinnat-eng.html

Here is a couple of graphs with last years numbers of what we are up against.
image002.png

image002.png
You can see how the graph drops as DFO cuts hatchery production on early stocks from 11,000,000 to today at 1,000,000

You can see how the graph drops as DFO cuts hatchery production on early stocks from 11,000,000 to today at 1,000,000
No I don't see that in the data but that might help kick start a few systems done correctly. To me the evidence is freshwater and ocean conditions are the heart of the problem. Lack of snowpack and warmer ocean over the last few years that these fish had during their life cycle.

Remember this....

upload_2019-5-22_8-8-16.png

Bon Chovy
March 22 ·

We are days away from one of the most significant regulatory decisions that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans has made to date. Canadians should be upset with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and Jonathan Wilkinson needs to know about it. Early Timed Fraser Chinook Salmon are struggling and need help. The Southern Resident killer whales feed on on them, First Nations rely on them. Recreational and commercial fisherman have adapted their fisheries so they do not rely on them, and haven’t done so for the last 15 years. DFO implemented fishing strategies for the marine fisheries have succeeded to reduce the impact on these Early Timed Fraser Chinook salmon such that commercial, first nations and recreational fisheries currently have inconsequential harvest levels in the ocean. Despite marine fisheries having virtually no effect on these early chinook runs, the DFO is considering advising the Fisheries Minister to close the public fishery down on the South Coast from April 1st to July 31. One of the MAIN reasons that these early Fraser Chinook are in decline in comparison to the 1980s/1990s/early 2000s is due to the massive closures of key hatcheries that supported middle and upper Fraser River Chinook stocks. Fraser River hatcheries once produced 10 plus million chinook smolts. At a 1 to 3 percent return rate that is an additional 100,000 to 300,000 chinook salmon that made it back to the Fraser River and it's important chinook tributaries. Hundreds of thousands of these fish would have contributed to the diet of the Southern Resident Killer Whales and marine and i-n river fisheries. Current returns are a dismal 30 to 50 thousand Early Timed Fraser Chinook in recent years. This low number is not surprising when you factor in climate change and predation and the FACT that there are no major hatcheries supporting middle and upper Fraser Stocks. The DFO is creating chaos by continuing to not invest in middle/upper Fraser River Enhancement Projects. We demand more from this government that campaigned on a healthy environment and healthy economy. Fishing restrictions without investment in Habitat and Enhancement will not achieve any recovery goals and will destroy coastal communities. The communities above Kamloops that enjoyed/relied on chinook salmon lost hope 10 years ago. Please have a look at the graphs below that show how key Fraser River hatchery in the 1990s and Early 2000s were closed.

Please share this post and tag Johnathan Wilkinson ..

Better yet send him a Facebook Message and express your opinion or copy this post and send it to him.

Give the coast a chance Jonathan Wilkinson

#scenarioAnoway #givethecoastachance#notgoodenough

Oh no, that can't be! Hatcheries are not just NOT helping but are actually bad for salmon stocks, right? So you all must be wrong, the graphs are all wrong because the closure of the Fraser hatcheries must have resulted in a bonanza of Chinook abundance. Where are they hiding? Hmmm :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was selected to report my catch to DFO for the month of May. I responded with this message back to DFO. I hope others will follow suit with their own messages.

I am annoyed you have asked me to participate in your survey. Clearly, the science does not matter; rather decisions are made based on politics. By shutting down the retention of chinook salmon in the Salish Sea, you have irreversibly harmed the recreational fishing community. My friends who own tackle shops, fishing guides and lodges have all been severely impacted by your unnecessary curtailment of the recreational fishery. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. This is the same community that is most involved and engaged in salmon enhancement, in supporting PSF, and in volunteering their time to ensure salmon survival. DFO’s actions in the face of all this are reprehensible, and contradictory to your stated objective to preserve endangered Fraser River salmon runs. Why are there FN openings on the river? How does this support your objectives? Why are you not allowing retention of clipped hatchery chinook in the Salish Sea? Any why have you not initiated a program to cull the overpopulation of seals and sea lions that are proven to be a major cause in the decline of Fraser River salmon?

I can’t believe the lack of common sense in DFO’s decision making. You need to rethink your path forward.

I was selected to report my catch to DFO for the month of May. I responded with this message back to DFO. I hope others will follow suit with their own messages.

I am annoyed you have asked me to participate in your survey. Clearly, the science does not matter; rather decisions are made based on politics. By shutting down the retention of chinook salmon in the Salish Sea, you have irreversibly harmed the recreational fishing community. My friends who own tackle shops, fishing guides and lodges have all been severely impacted by your unnecessary curtailment of the recreational fishery. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. This is the same community that is most involved and engaged in salmon enhancement, in supporting PSF, and in volunteering their time to ensure salmon survival. DFO’s actions in the face of all this are reprehensible, and contradictory to your stated objective to preserve endangered Fraser River salmon runs. Why are there FN openings on the river? How does this support your objectives? Why are you not allowing retention of clipped hatchery chinook in the Salish Sea? Any why have you not initiated a program to cull the overpopulation of seals and sea lions that are proven to be a major cause in the decline of Fraser River salmon?

I can’t believe the lack of common sense in DFO’s decision making. You need to rethink your path forward.
You should send that as a letter to the editor of your local paper! Well said!

I sent a shorter version expressing my dismay that they want me to report my catch record, all I got back was the standard, thank you for your input we value your opinion, b.s. computer generated response. A question, what happens if I do not file my record at the end of the month? Do not really care, I will just respond with did not fish. I am done cooperating with a with this program because it is just a pile of crap

I didn’t respond and I’m not doing to. I’ve sent 11 emails to my useless local MP, the “honourable minister” and his local DFO puppets and am yet to hear anything back from them. They are a waste of time. Why woukd I care about their data collection when their decisions are driven by their political interests?

Back