Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

Sunday of long weekend. Checked on boat. One,yes one truck and trailer in parking lot at salmon point. Marina vehicle parking has 1 truck.

can’t imagine the hurt everyone is feeling right now.

Last edited:
Saturday of long weekend. Checked on boat. One,yes one truck and trailer in parking lot at salmon point. Marina vehicle parking has 1 truck.

can’t imagine the hurt everyone is feeling right now.
Comox parking lot is full with many in the overflow spots on Sunday.

Comox parking lot is full with many in the overflow spots on Sunday.
That’s good !! Glad you posted this. Now I know today is Sunday not Saturday! Hahahaha.

Edited my post to Sunday as it was today that I was there.

Reactions: GLG
Wow if I read this correctly only 10 fish? Either there are a lot of fish making it to the spawning grounds or this fishing ban was premature?

They are being allocated 3 fish per opening for their first fish of the year ceremony’s .

If you have 20 dead chinook in your Gill net but have only been allocated 3.

What are you gonna do, your gonna report to DFO that you caught 3 and take the rest home.

I think we all know where Ken Malloway stands when it comes to throwing away dead chinook.

And that, my friends, is the whole issue....

A well-earned lack of trust of those who are making and supposedly over-seeing fishery rules.
This whole deal is simply a re allocation from the sport and commercial sectors to FN and the FN commercial sectors. They have cash buyers in Tofino almost daily

I hope the user groups that are allowed to keep them are enjoying,
we haven't had any salmon in our house in the last couple months.
first time in over 20 years.

Does anybody actually believe those numbers that have been caught?
Absolutely not! But if that’s the number DFO is claiming (10), then shutting down Public Fishing for April and most of May for 10 fish seems even more retarded. We’ve
got to keep asking questions, starting with how many fish have reached the spawning grounds after the Public Fishery closure and a total of 10 fish harvest by FN. If DFO is basing their action on Science, then let’s see the evidence their theory is working! If they can’t give a number then it’s clear there is no science involved and they were using it as a smokescreen.

I hope the user groups that are allowed to keep them are enjoying,
we haven't had any salmon in our house in the last couple months.
first time in over 20 years.
I hope karma puts sh*t on the faces of those who did this to our sport. This is a shame.

If you have 20 dead chinook in your Gill net but have only been allocated 3.

What are you gonna do, your gonna report to DFO that you caught 3 and take the rest home.

I think we all know where Ken Malloway stands when it comes to throwing away dead chinook.

If this is true then why on May 12 did they report 4 caught?
Why don't we see the other numbers all being 3's and not 1's and 2's.
What is your source for this allocation for 3 only and why are you accusing them of doing something wrong?

Last edited:
What is your source for this allocation for 3 only and why are you accusing them of doing something wrong?
Not sure where the 3 comes from or whether it’s per person per band etc. Interesting number, but FN fishery isn’t all that transparent at the best of times. Quite conceivable though if 3 is the number for either the bands or individuals quota, that multiple individuals and more than one band fish the same area and therefore the totals exceed 3. Easier to explain ones and two’s, they were unable to limit out. Question is why?

Last edited:

Talk to the chiefs glg

Not sure where the 3 comes from or whether it’s per person per band etc. Interesting number, but FN fishery isn’t all that transparent at the best of times. Quite conceivable though if 3 is the number for either the bands or individuals quota, that multiple individuals and more than one band fish the same area and therefore the totals exceed 3. Easier to explain ones and two’s, they were unable to limit out. Question is why?
If I were you I would question the source as our source here has a way of evading questions. He had links to the harvest info just like me but chose not to share that information. Can't get worked up to take out the pitchforks and torches when the numbers are so small.
As to the question as to why they can't limit out, I would follow what is happening in the Albion Chinook test fishery.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionchinook-quinnat-eng.html

Here is a couple of graphs with last years numbers of what we are up against.
image002.png

image002.png

Last edited:
Back