2018 Sidney Reports

While estimating tide change is a science, it isn't an exact science. It seems that this seems to be particularly the case in the Sidney area. I suspect that the myriad of islands, shoals, channels, etc all conspire to make it difficult for them to get it exactly right. My experience is the same, the tide tables are usually accurate within about an hour in the Sidney area, plus or minus.

While estimating tide change is a science, it isn't an exact science. It seems that this seems to be particularly the case in the Sidney area. I suspect that the myriad of islands, shoals, channels, etc all conspire to make it difficult for them to get it exactly right. My experience is the same, the tide tables are usually accurate within about an hour in the Sidney area, plus or minus.
So basically people, just go out as often as possible for as long as possible and you are likely to at some point find some fishies.

Last edited:
lol..I think many of us fall into the same marketing trap..if one is good 6 is better!!!
What is the difference between UV and Glow?

The glow is solid white glow on the back, and the UV is transparent. In my 3 or 4 tests running one of each on either side with the same lure, the glow did noticeably better for me than the UV. So I picked up half a dozen more glow's from Island Outfitters yesterday (a couple for a buddy).

The glow is solid white glow on the back, and the UV is transparent. In my 3 or 4 tests running one of each on either side with the same lure, the glow did noticeably better for me than the UV. So I picked up half a dozen more glow's from Island Outfitters yesterday (a couple for a buddy).
I’ve heard that review as well! Thanks for the recon

Fished Hamley for Springs and ran out further into Haro Strait looking for Coho yesterday. It was just an awesome day weather wise. Still lots of bait showing but only managed to catch and release 5 or 6 undersized Springs. No sign of Coho, but they have to be around. Saw a few boats working out into the Strait so maybe they had better luck.

Anyone else planning to go to Pender Monday? According to this DFO map, it opens Monday. I hope there's something left...
Hopefully some Coho! I contacted DFO to confirm the opening, unfortunately I won’t be able to go there Monday. Still irks me that at the very least DFO could have made it a Spring nonretention area if that was their concern, but instead made it a fin fish closure because apparently people trolling make more noise than ferries,tankers,bulk carriers and whale watchers. Not too many Menza candidates in the DFO hierarchy.

Back