trolling without a downrigger?

Took the old man out last year to the south arm around Sept. He loves the deep six off the back. The only fish we caught that day was on that rod. A nice 15 lb red no flasher and a hootchy. 3 rods better than 2 right? Lol

Andrew we used to put out a back rod. Up to an eight ounce cresent mooch wieght or a deep six or pink lady planer..... About five six feet to a super teaser with either strip or whole herring. This was specially effective late Aug and Sept. When them biggies were in the transition zone. What a gas. They just Smash it reel screaming..... Like old times trolling with pops before downriggers were even discussed. Lots of fun. Be sure to set tension snug to help the set but not to tight ....... Just a gas...... No flashers.

In most situations the odds are stacked against you for this technique.. To get to 50 ft either a pound of lead or a lot of line out is required. Most likely boats with down riggers will be cutting close enough to your stern to cause some sort of mental crisis. It's also a nightmare in sea weed. If I only had 2 down riggers & wanted to fish 3 or more rods I'd jig or mooch.

Get your hands on an old Abe & Al flasher and put a hoochie or Grand Slam behind it as u would with a Hot Spot etc. They stay down on their own. If they surface ur going too slow or have weeds on. You'll get some hits from Coho especially in the early morning.

I have the self suspending Purple Ghost Rapala X-Rap and it works great for dragging right behind the boat! and when the fish hit it they slam it.
I recently purchased a few of these X-Wraps in size 10 & 12 but couldn't find the purple ghost. I have sent it down a couple times with no luck yet but I wasn't seeing any surface bait at the time. The action is really cool they twitch and rattle and the banana weight work good to get it down 10ft. I did send it out as a third rod solo one day and yes the stress level was high while I untangled a mess probably missed the bite. I'll be using it again soon as I'm starting to see more bait and fish lately. I have also sent it down on the rigger and got a shaker hmmm I need to try that again.

I recently purchased a few of these X-Wraps in size 10 & 12 but couldn't find the purple ghost. I have sent it down a couple times with no luck yet but I wasn't seeing any surface bait at the time. The action is really cool they twitch and rattle and the banana weight work good to get it down 10ft. I did send it out as a third rod solo one day and yes the stress level was high while I untangled a mess probably missed the bite. I'll be using it again soon as I'm starting to see more bait and fish lately. I have also sent it down on the rigger and got a shaker hmmm I need to try that again.

purple ghost are almost impossible to find in canada thats what I found I had to order out of the states for mine.

Tomic plugs are fun to fish this way too.

I add a four to six ounce weight. ten pulls to weight and out 20 pulls after that. more pulls will get you deeper, but also further back, which can be a problem if fishing in a pack.

This Saturday on Chek at 07:00 is Westcoast Sporting Journal. It’s is a rerun of last year’s episode “Rapala X-Raps for fast action salmon in rivers inlet. I don’t remember in he casts or trolls, but It might be worth a look.

Use dipsy divers with a third rod for coho at times. You can adjust the weight disc to pull to one side or straight. Found the smaller flashers put less drag than the 11 inch flashers. Like an earlier poster, apex or smaller spoons work great for coho.

Me and a buddy used to run a third rod sometimes just for laughs. A bead chain swivel, 6 or 8 feet of leader, with an anchovy. We’d put a Peetz 6 or 8 ounce slip weight on about 12 feet from the swivel. Out the back she’d go about 30 pulls.
It was surprising how many times we nailed a good spring on that. Actually, it was only surprising the first time or two it caught something. After that we’d just laugh when it did.
All the money spent on downrigger equipment and the simplest rig worked often just as well.

Has anybody trolled an in-line spinner up high for coho’s? I had the most success in my trout days fishing spinners over spoons because you can tip the spinner with a piece of bait.

Back