Daiwa 275 trolling?

Viking

I just picked up a good condition daiwa 275. 20 bucks. What is everyone's experience with these old reels? Is the drag strong enough for trolling? I normally run m-ones. Cool to have some vintage stuff!

The drag is strong enough for trolling, but if tightened down can become a bit jerky, when loosened off. You have to loosen it way off and palm the reel. Not like the one way drag you may be familiar with. I have gotten around it by setting a lighter drag and using an additional line release between the reel and the first eye on the rod.

I just picked up a good condition daiwa 275. 20 bucks. What is everyone's experience with these old reels? Is the drag strong enough for trolling? I normally run m-ones. Cool to have some vintage stuff!
I still have several and continue to use them. The drag is good for trolling. None of mine creep and they're pretty bullet-proof. Give them a dab of grease once a year and they'll last forever. I have several 175s which are pushing 40 years old and are still in use. I don't expect my anodized reels will last that long.

I used them for years trolling.. They are bullet proof. They are not for beginners-watch those handles-or you may get whacked.

The 275 was/is a great reel. Love that high pitched ratchet sound ... like no other. The 175 too, but a smaller spool size. As others have said 2-way drag was all we had 'back in the day' so you just backed off on drag and palm dragged a fish. Never even dreamed of one-way drag back then.

I did have a handle break off a 275 years ago due to corrosion ( lack of rinsing as a kid probably) but luckily had access to a machine shop and the guy very quickly installed tiny handle plates on the spool and re- tapped new screw holes, new handle screws and viola like new again, original handles.

I have a number of the 175's that I have spooled with 15 pound test line (200 yards) and put on the lightweight 9' Trophy XL rods. Love the "sound" with the reel screaming when a big spring is taking line. I have to follow a fish with the boat until he quiets down enough to get him into retrieval mode. Totally a blast if you are into catch and release fishing.

caught tons of springs and coho on 275, 275b and 175's love the old daiwa ZING! noise can hear it over anything plus its excellent at waking you up when mooching or trolling lol

I still have a 275 , don't use it anymore but liked it a lot more than the m ones for trolling, they are a great reel. also have some nice 175's , I trimmed the seat on 2 of them and use them on a couple of 8 wt fly rods for trolling with bare spoons and bait, mostly for coho but also great for winter springs.

Just sold my 275's last year-paid $40 each for them 20+ years ago used them a bunch/had all kinds of fun and sold both to someone for $25 I'm sure he's doing same-fine machines with greatest handles ever.

A bit belated here but I enjoyed reading this post. So I thought I would add my 2 cents worth about the 275.

Like others have said... to me the daiwa 275's best feature is the 275 scream. Picture yourself in a small boat in a pretty good chop, you take a big strike... its on...a good size chinook... but its taking too long to turn around fast enough in the chop to chase it .... you are busting your butt to handle the boat and rod... your heart's about to explode... you watch helpless as the reel is screaming in your ears and the ******* rips your line completely off..... what a rush... you lost it... you never saw it... but you know what it was ... the 275's scream took you to another level of excitement....big sound..... the 275 scream. A silent retrieve just isn't quite the same for me. To me the 275 gives you that other dimension....big sound .....and the direct feel of the fish's raw power transmitted to the reel. It's relatively lightweight aluminum and trim. It's simple, dependable, tough. It has a big drag knob and paddle handles for cold fingers. A free spool switch. Is reversible left/right. When you are busy cutting bait that tic tic tic sound also lets you know something's going on. My favourite. Guess cause that's what I started with.

My first reels were the 275's bought them at the boat show in 1987. Had them for years, never had a problem. I agree that scream was something else it not only got your attention but it was also the dinner bell for every seal in the area. If you weren't careful when playing a fish you got a nasty rap on your knuckle.

I’m interested in a pair of 175’s in decent condition
There's a few right now on ebay uk, a couple appear new still in the box. Those new ones are a bit pricey, but I think worth it considering the prices of islanders , amundson's etc. Ask seller if the clicker works and sound is loud. The gear teeth on well used ones can get worn a bit and those won't be as loud. Also some completely affordable used ones at ebay uk as well, one in Courtenay, one in US. Also check out Mike's reel repair in Abbotsford( www.mikesreelrepair.com ) looks like they might have 175 parts or even rebuild them. Gotta love them of course to go to the trouble. I picked a couple of new still in the box 275's recently at ebay uk, not cheap but I know that clicker sound is going to be loud.

My backup rod/reel is a gold 275. Love it to pieces, but the one way drag system of my main reels makes it more pleasant to use for newbs.

Just picked up another bomb proof 275 out of Bremerton Washington. $99 ca total. Also a 275 DX out of Japan which should be arriving soon. Don't know anything about the DX's. Thought I'd check it out. Anyone know anything about them?

Attachments

• P2201593.JPG
    P2201593.JPG
    772.8 KB · Views: 68
  • P2201594.JPG
    P2201594.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 66
  • P2201595.JPG
    P2201595.JPG
    765.9 KB · Views: 62
  • P2201596.JPG
    P2201596.JPG