Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

We also saw a guy in a ten foot zodiac hook into a fish near pill pt. After 15 min I realized he was still playing it which caught my interest. Well 50 minutes later a boat pulls up to him at Mach 10 and he jumps into it while playing this fish. I'm expecting a 50 lb spring or barndoor. Turned out to be a nice 30-40 lb Hali. Pretty far in for Hali. Should start anchoring up there in the middle of the crowd.

from the reports ive heard the past day or 2 ,
Barkley and the Inlet have definately tapered off , was hard to believe there was a thick blanket
of fog when speaking to a friend over there , less than a 100 yard visibility at times apparently ,
while i was standing outside in 27 deg here in van lol,,,
pls clear up man !!!
, hope things kick up a bit on the fishing end of things,

were there from the 8th ta 12th lookin for the stragglers , go support a couple of Nookers in the Uki Fish-Off
gd luck Trev n Matt...

any of ya there , drop a line , ch 6 on the tube

later

FD

I am headed out to Bamfield aswell this friday saturaday and sunday....Hopefully will get a nice run of fish...Or at least just catch a few. Staying right close to Bamfield, should be a blast fish or no fish.

Well had a great trip to Bamfield again this year,probably my best summer in a long time,arrived on august 23 and went off shore right away,stayed for two weeks just got back to van..I did three charters in the middle of the trip as I have three or four groups from work come over each year to fish with me worked out really well we fished out at the wreck and just hammered the fish springs and coho,the biggest being 43.5 43 41 37 35 were the biggest of the bunch and a good average of 20 plus pounders it seemed like most people were fishing heison bank off tofino or the south west corner I made it up there twice but a long run from Bamfield so I stayed off ukee there was only a few boats out there so it was a great place to be.I did fish inside for the derby a few tides and picked up some cookie cutters 18 lbs congrats to the winners sorry you lost that big one Kelly.. Also did really well limiting out on hali just trolling them up the biggest being 51 lbs,cant wait until next year had a fantastic trip boat ran amazing with the new 250 four stroke...fishing is still great up there so if you can take advantage of sept.

Tight lines
billydoo

Slowed Down

It's definitely slowed down. Was out fishing close two days ago, talked to a gill netter at the dock whle his boat was being hauled out. They had a 3 hour opening Monday evening (5th) and the entire gill net "fleet" was allocated 2000 fish. I suspect they got them, the gill netter at the dock said he did well.

We got a small Coho off Lone Tree, then headed up to Pill Point and Diplock, nothing doing there at all. Yesterday just made a half day of it, fished both sides of China Creek and got skunked. I heard a guy on the radio talking that he got a nice one opposite the slide but other than that no one seemed to have anything in the net.

So is it worth coming out to the Canal tomorrow? Anyone have any lucky after the commercial opening?

The commies had an opening monday night with 2000 peices being allocated.. Last I heard they were well over that amount ..maybe 4500 peices or more. Next the native commies had an opening wed night.. for 4000 peices. According to some forum members they continued to fish for hours after their closure.

You will have to give us a report back if you go.

Both groups got about 8000 pieces each. The natives pulled their gear at the 0400 closure, the Atlin Post was right there. Both groups and sporties have caught way more than expected because there are a lot of chinooks in the inlet right now. Forecast will prob go 70-80k.

gc

Last edited by a moderator:
Both groups got about 8000 pieces each. The natives pulled their gear at the 0400 closure, the Atlin Post was right there. Both groups and sporties have caught way more than expected because there are a lot of chinooks in the inlet right now. Forecast will prob go 70-80k.

gc

thanks you gc for submiting a positive post, hopefully your report has some comon ground, everybody, including the springs did well this year.

The commies had an opening monday night with 2000 peices being allocated.. Last I heard they were well over that amount ..maybe 4500 peices or more. Next the native commies had an opening wed night.. for 4000 peices. According to some forum members they continued to fish for hours after their closure.

You will have to give us a report back if you go.

Well we went, launched at Clutesi at first light. Fished just past the mouth with about 25 other boats for the first couple hours. Saw 4 nice springs in nets throughout the group. Then we pulled up the gear and headed toward China Creek. There was a s**tload of Cohos jumping in the bay NW of the CC boat launch, chucked spoons at them for a while, missed a few and got one clipped 8 pounder on one of the downriggers.

If anyone enjoys top water coho action, I encourage you to try that spot.

Great day on the water, radio chatter sounded pretty positive, quite a few springs, and lots of coho taken

Cheers,

BL

Still a few fish in Barkley Sound. Canal was very quiet in recent days. Bait show for most part in the Sound. Off shore was zippo. Buds who went out were largely counting bites unless you ran down south. If you pound it inside the Sound, you can generally get a few chins and coho. Last few days got 4 and 4 and a mixed bag yesterday. Bait at 37 to 47 feet. Hopefully once the new moon starts the fishing will get a little easier.

What channel are most people on out in the harbour/Alberni Inlet? I hear the odd crackle but not much otherwise.

Thanks,

What channel are most people on out in the harbour/Alberni Inlet? I hear the odd crackle but not much otherwise.

Thanks,

Think they are on 6, I'm running side band channels so I don't have to listen to the chatter all day.

Fished the 8th through the 12th, and for us, it was sloooow. 1/2 dozen coho and a few small springs, but all in all a tough sled. Pill Point and Swale produced most of our fish on a cutplug. I think the fish were there, as there was a lot of jumpers, and the big herd of sea lions at Pill constantly were showing off the nice springs they were killing. Hit 58.7 degree water about 18 miles out from Ukee one day, so deployed the Tuna gear. Trolled for about 1.5 hrs and had one smack a cedar plug and peel off about 150 yards of line before he released himself, but no other joy.

I afraid my quest for a really big 'Ho will have to wait for next year, but like to thank our northern neighbors for sharing your backyard with us.

BTW, We were going to launch at Clutsei ( sp?) but it was plugged with small gillnet boat unloading their fish, one at a time, rendering the launch useless to anyone else, so we drove to China Creek. Is this the norm this time of year?

CR

Heading out of Toquart Bay this morning. We were thinking of trying Swale, Effingham, and maybe Pill today. Any news from those spots lately?
ARVAK II

Fellas

little late , but , what a weekend, ( last)
fishing has definateley indicated that the end is near , action was enuff to keep us entertained ,we averaged a mixed bag 3-5 salmon a day ,
all inside , Pill , Flemming ,Wall , the docks were showing mostly coho , enuff to keep most with smiles. The local banks were DEAD..

we kept around 6 springs over 4 days of fishing , Pill , Flemming , guys are still laughing at me im sure , i actually chased the Sea Lions to find my springs . I aint kidding you ,the buggers put there face in the water like they were snorklers lol,,when that tail came outta the water , b-lined er down , almost always back up with a fish,,,, i'd floor it , swamp em , get are lines down,,,wham,,,, was kinda like stealing there fish for once !!!
They were by far the best fisherman out there , they left my fish alone , a gamble i took , my guys are stilll p'n themselves , as well as a few boats that were watching us..all fish on chovies , 30 feet mostly ,

the weather was unreal , damn hot , had ta bring out the beach umbrella for the Ducker Deck lol..
went and hit a few rock piles on our last day ,( NO Hali guys !! of course !!) loaded up on some white meat for the guy's , non stop action , fun day , then got swamped by a Puke boat , pulled gear and called er a day.. crabbing was decent finally too.....time ta sit and wait for the sea spiders to make a come back...

nice casual fish , low expectation trip turned into one to remember , thx Marco , What a fish fry back at the trailer..

one more outting in a few weeks , year wrap up , mmmm Turkey...

see ya all next year

Felix....fd

sum shotz

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

Back