Winterizing - What do you do

I fill the bowl up (they usually supply a hose connector kit with the salt-a-way that includes a bowl you fill). They say to run it 5 minutes. I run it for 20 minutes only because it takes that long for the bowl to empty.
Running it until the bowl is empty means that it’s just clean water left in your engine. I run it until the bowl is 3/4 full so I got a heavy concentration of salt away in the motor. Let that sit for a while and work it’s magic, then run it again until the bowl is empty

Is that an online store or do they have a showroom you can shop at? Havnt been there before . Thanks
They have a showroom as well. I bought my downriggers off him too because he was the cheapest. Berry’s wouldn’t price match because they said he was only making like $10 off each downrigger lol.

Martin marine in NV sells salt a way. Still doesn't seem to be a consensus on using this junk. I think I will just rinse it with salt a way until I'm embarrassed by the amount of bubbles flowing out of the shed.

Does anyone know of salt a ways freezing point? Be nice not to have to run rv coolant through the manifolds too. Yes its an IO...

You have brand new boat? Practically brand new sitting in enclosed garage in Alberta, and dipped in salt like twice year on your trips. That is 10% of us. 90% most likely have in under shelter or driveway. It's damp out here year round, and hard on people that just leave there boats and walk away. From my experience I always have more issues with a boat that sits. Any boat I have owned been this way. Mechanical things like to be run.

If you have to winterize than do above, but it's much better to take it out if you can.
I cannot substantiate the above info with science, but everything I have hear or read in this subject supports the above - most extreme was when my neighbor ran bow pickers with chevy 454's in AK said the only way to keep the reliable was to pull the engine & store indoors when the season was over. This was probably after the "oil pan rust thru event" where he had to bail the leaked oil from the bilge & pour it back into the oil filler tube, and proudly claims he still kept the boat on plane til he got back.

Will be doing same here shortly. Waiting for snow to stop. my winter routine:

Run a good dose of fuel stabilizer thru
fog
Oil change
Leg oil drain and change
Grease points on motors
Scrub and check zincs
Antifreeze thru wash down pumps, make sure all water drained out
Disconnect batts and bring inside for trickle charging

I used to use fuel stabiliser but ater letting it sit for 6 months a lot of the fuel had evaporated but the stabilizer had not. It left a gummy residue behind. Eventually the fresh fuel in the spring dissolved it, and all was well. Now I use a tank of premium ethanol free gas on my last trip (portable tank), and let it sit that way over winter. My biggest concern is that the stabiliser will gunk up the injectors
I use RV antifreee on the wash down pump and then blow it out with air

I used to use fuel stabiliser but ater letting it sit for 6 months a lot of the fuel had evaporated but the stabilizer had not. It left a gummy residue behind. Eventually the fresh fuel in the spring dissolved it, and all was well. Now I use a tank of premium ethanol free gas on my last trip (portable tank), and let it sit that way over winter. My biggest concern is that the stabiliser will gunk up the injectors
I use RV antifreee on the wash down pump and then blow it out with air

curious what your go to fuel is? I switched to shell 91 and been happy with it. Last run until early spring today, was a beauty sub zero day on the water!

Great advice.

Added Stabilizer, topped up tank, and ran up to temp for quite a while in driveway to make sure pushed through. emptied boat, and put batteries on a trickle charge.

Boats wrapped up in a tarp WITH airflow.

Attachments

• E00443F5-3B5E-41F1-98C6-DA4E3AB96C01.jpeg
    E00443F5-3B5E-41F1-98C6-DA4E3AB96C01.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 49
curious what your go to fuel is? I switched to shell 91 and been happy with it. Last run until early spring today, was a beauty sub zero day on the water!
Yep I use Shell, here in CR, but I also understand that Chevron and Co-OP have it as well

Nothing. But I plan on being on the water every weekend that the weather allows. Will add some stabilizer if it looks like the boat will sit more than a month or so.

I installed a battery charger a few weeks ago, so just plug the boat in, throw the cover on, and wait for a calm weekend.

Back