2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SH slow. Seemed to be a bit of bite around 8, but we spent that time battling shakers. One that felt sizeable it Did a big run out and then turned and swam straight back to boat. 67 on anchovy. Everyone dispersed, havnt seen a net in a while.

Last edited:
Only thing I've seen so far is a jack way out deep and that grady which caught the green bouy. Slooooow...saw boats off the cap on my way out no idea how it was going tho. I'm gonna hang around here til 5 or 6 see how it goes.

That grady was me and sure enough he comes roaring up. I free the ball and while they were pulling up the gear they snagged my other ball. So they get my cannon ball. The guy tosses it into the water instead of letting me grab it and it sinks full force snaps my cable. I was so pissed.

That grady was me and sure enough he comes roaring up. I free the ball and while they were pulling up the gear they snagged my other ball. So they get my cannon ball. The guy tosses it into the water instead of letting me grab it and it sinks full force snaps my cable. I was so pissed.

Total bs. I have a spare and am still here if you need one...white 26 hourston blue canvas doing sfa in 240' ne of the light station.

One Chinook just squeaked over at 64cm on green brined chovie, chartreuse flasher at 50ft in 200ft water. ... about 45 mins ago.

Last edited:
Ok I see people want a report. Here it is, first of the season. I've been working the PM shifts this week and mentioned to some colleagues that the Docs need a COVID break, so lets go fishing. It was Dr Kimball's first time out and reported to me she was bad luck. I had been promising her differently for the last few years if she ever came out. Dr McCormack was free as well. So I finished up my shift at 1 am and didn't get a whole lot of sleep. Awake and 5 am and hooked up leaving the drive at 530am. They both beat me to the launch as I was 3 minutes late for our 600 am launch. Got it unloaded and headed down the south arm. Got out and several boats were trolling. Headed the outside and dropped a spoon to 47 and a herring to 57. It wasn't long before a big bite hit and unfortunately snapped the herring leader. We were feeling good. Watched a couple get landed and stuck in the area out deep around 300 to 500 fow. Then next hook up on the herring Dr Kimball lands her first Salmon/ fish ever, 15 pound Chinook. Hi fives all around. I pulled the spoon and dropped second herring. Bang herring 2 gets hit and this time 18 pound chinook. A while later rod releases on a big wild coho. Released. Then went dead around 10 or 11. Tried a spoon again and picked up two undersized chinook. Then i was coming up to our 1 pm quit time because I had to be back at work by 5 pm. So I drop the herring back down on both rods for the last hoorah and we are in tight through all the traffic headed straight for sandheads lighthouse. We were at last the closest guy. Dr McCormack at 1250 says I'll pull mine in. I say no leave it the last 10 minutes. So he says ok 5 more minutes. Less than a minute later rod releases and fish takes off like a frieght train. Big head shakes. Of course I'm excited, nervous and sleep deprived. So I'm coaching and praying no seals come, while annoying him at the same time. It was a long slow pull with big head shakes and he tried to cut us off a few times under the boat, but finally could see him through the murky river water. A big chinook. Landed it finally and was 26 pounds on the scale. Biggest on my boat thus far! Now we were late. Already had the gear all pulled in so we took off and headed for home. Only a few minutes late to work and one fantastic day out there. To me for the number of boats out there it seemed the nets were few and far between.

Thanks for all the reports guys I read them all and as always repeating what the guys catching are doing tends to pay off big time! Thanks as always. View attachment 56811 View attachment 56812 View attachment 56813 View attachment 56814 View attachment 56815
Best report of the season! ...& written at 1:46am! Congrats on the great fishing expedition! Thanks also for your work on the front lines during COVID!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back