2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fish I got, both reds at the end of the night and the couple I lost at the boat when I first got there around 4:30 were bright bright chrome so let’s hope a new wave just came in, get out there and get em before the orcas do...
The first one I got to the boat wouldn’t even fit in my Beckman fishing nets day I ha w the large net....
I had the rod in one hand net in the other, his heAd was resting on one side and his mid section on the other, couldn’t lift it up, it then jumped out went under the boat and snappola ... I will forever dream about that fish, I’ve put a 34 and a 36 in my boat this year, this one made those look small....

The fish I got, both reds at the end of the night and the couple I lost at the boat when I first got there around 4:30 were bright bright chrome so let’s hope a new wave just came in, get out there and get em before the orcas do...
The first one I got to the boat wouldn’t even fit in my Beckman fishing nets day I ha w the large net....
I had the rod in one hand net in the other, his heAd was resting on one side and his mid section on the other, couldn’t lift it up, it then jumped out went under the boat and snappola ... I will forever dream about that fish, I’ve put a 34 and a 36 in my boat this year, this one made those look small....

it’s a risky move, but if the fish is pretty played out, I have dropped the rod and grabbed the leader and guided the fish into the bag. Better than waving the net around with one hand.

Long leaders makes tough solo netting.

it’s a risky move, but if the fish is pretty played out, I have dropped the rod and grabbed the leader and guided the fish into the bag. Better than waving the net around with one hand.

Long leaders makes tough solo netting.

Try playing the fish out and grabbing it by the gills. worked for me. Less risk of the hook popping from the side of the net.

Great day to be out only counted 43 boats today as opposed to 213 on Saturday. Only one Decent fish boated today but lots of small grillse, check your lines often as these little guys barely register as a twitch on your line. You have to be concentrating to see the slight movement on the rods. Weather was great until about six o’clock when wind started to pick up. Good luck to all no more fishing for me for at least a week now.

Off Sandheads, A couple mid teeners, one red and one white on herring, one shallow and one deep, 2:30 and 4:30, at around 3:30 had a serious strike that peeled line forever, finally had almost ground it to a halt, and the line parted at the quick change on the flasher. Biggest hit this year. Maybe next time.... :(

Fraser-Chinooks-Sept08-2020.jpg

Off Sandheads, A couple mid teeners, one red and one white on herring, one shallow and one deep, 2:30 and 4:30, at around 3:30 had a serious strike that peeled line forever, finally had almost ground it to a halt, and the line parted at the quick change on the flasher. Biggest hit this year. Maybe next time.... :(

Fraser-Chinooks-Sept08-2020.jpg
How deep was deep?

Ok I see people want a report. Here it is, first of the season. I've been working the PM shifts this week and mentioned to some colleagues that the Docs need a COVID break, so lets go fishing. It was Dr Kimball's first time out and reported to me she was bad luck. I had been promising her differently for the last few years if she ever came out. Dr McCormack was free as well. So I finished up my shift at 1 am and didn't get a whole lot of sleep. Awake and 5 am and hooked up leaving the drive at 530am. They both beat me to the launch as I was 3 minutes late for our 600 am launch. Got it unloaded and headed down the south arm. Got out and several boats were trolling. Headed the outside and dropped a spoon to 47 and a herring to 57. It wasn't long before a big bite hit and unfortunately snapped the herring leader. We were feeling good. Watched a couple get landed and stuck in the area out deep around 300 to 500 fow. Then next hook up on the herring Dr Kimball lands her first Salmon/ fish ever, 15 pound Chinook. Hi fives all around. I pulled the spoon and dropped second herring. Bang herring 2 gets hit and this time 18 pound chinook. A while later rod releases on a big wild coho. Released. Then went dead around 10 or 11. Tried a spoon again and picked up two undersized chinook. Then i was coming up to our 1 pm quit time because I had to be back at work by 5 pm. So I drop the herring back down on both rods for the last hoorah and we are in tight through all the traffic headed straight for sandheads lighthouse. We were at last the closest guy. Dr McCormack at 1250 says I'll pull mine in. I say no leave it the last 10 minutes. So he says ok 5 more minutes. Less than a minute later rod releases and fish takes off like a frieght train. Big head shakes. Of course I'm excited, nervous and sleep deprived. So I'm coaching and praying no seals come, while annoying him at the same time. It was a long slow pull with big head shakes and he tried to cut us off a few times under the boat, but finally could see him through the murky river water. A big chinook. Landed it finally and was 26 pounds on the scale. Biggest on my boat thus far! Now we were late. Already had the gear all pulled in so we took off and headed for home. Only a few minutes late to work and one fantastic day out there. To me for the number of boats out there it seemed the nets were few and far between.

Thanks for all the reports guys I read them all and as always repeating what the guys catching are doing tends to pay off big time! Thanks as always. 20200908_085229.jpg 20200908_092050.jpg 20200908_125854.jpg 20200908_125904_008.jpg 20200908_140419.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I see people want a report. Here it is, first of the season. I've been working the PM shifts this week and mentioned to some colleagues that the Docs need a COVID break, so lets go fishing. It was Dr Kimball's first time out and reported to me she was bad luck. I had been promising her differently for the last few years if she ever came out. Dr McCormack was free as well. So I finished up my shift at 1 am and didn't get a whole lot of sleep. Awake and 5 am and hooked up leaving the drive at 530am. They both beat me to the launch as I was 3 minutes late for our 600 am launch. Got it unloaded and headed down the south arm. Got out and several boats were trolling. Headed the outside and dropped a spoon to 47 and a herring to 57. It wasn't long before a big bite hit and unfortunately snapped the herring leader. We were feeling good. Watched a couple get landed and stuck in the area out deep around 300 to 500 fow. Then next hook up on the herring Dr Kimball lands her first Salmon/ fish ever, 15 pound Chinook. Hi fives all around. I pulled the spoon and dropped second herring. Bang herring 2 gets hit and this time 18 pound chinook. A while later rod releases on a big wild coho. Released. Then went dead around 10 or 11. Tried a spoon again and picked up two undersized chinook. Then i was coming up to our 1 pm quit time because I had to be back at work by 5 pm. So I drop the herring back down on both rods for the last hoorah and we are in tight through all the traffic headed straight for sandheads lighthouse. We were at last the closest guy. Dr McCormack at 1250 says I'll pull mine in. I say no leave it the last 10 minutes. So he says ok 5 more minutes. Less than a minute later rod releases and fish takes off like a frieght train. Big head shakes. Of course I'm excited, nervous and sleep deprived. So I'm coaching and praying no seals come, while annoying him at the same time. It was a long slow pull with big head shakes and he tried to cut us off a few times under the boat, but finally could see him through the murky river water. A big chinook. Landed it finally and was 26 pounds on the scale. Biggest on my boat thus far! Now we were late. Already had the gear all pulled in so we took off and headed for home. Only a few minutes late to work and one fantastic day out there. To me for the number of boats out there it seemed the nets were few and far between.

Thanks for all the reports guys I read them all and as always repeating what the guys catching are doing tends to pay off big time! Thanks as always. View attachment 56811 View attachment 56812 View attachment 56813 View attachment 56814 View attachment 56815
Great report Doc! Were you rocking those herring naked or w flasher?

I totally agree that there's also good fishing deeper at SH. 130 feet has been good for me the last few times. Quick question to all .. I've never used herring bait for salmon as always have used anchovies. Any thoughts on when to use which?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back