2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Thursday afternoon 100-200 contour at the usual 40-60 downriggers. Caught one just over 30. Line peeled out so far I thought it was sealed.... then it fell asleep and came gently to the boat where we massaged it’s scalp and tucked it in the cooler for a rest.
friday was slow with a 8 pounder for 4 hours.

Pic is friend and his boy

View attachment 56653
Nice Fish!

Finally got away from desk yesterday. SH 12:30 - 5:30. tried many water depths and line lengths. Only 2 spiny Dogs and one seal (right to the boat). lost 3 flashers & leaders in the process. On the way north at about 6pm sounded a school of fish at 65' in 165' of water about 1/2 mile north of T10.

Sorry for the late post

Want to go to SH on Sunday ,windy app shows 10 knts , government marine weather shows wind warning 15-20
Who do I believe ? ?

Want to go to SH on Sunday ,windy app shows 10 knts , government marine weather shows wind warning 15-20
Who do I believe ? ?

Windy shows a mixed bag through out the day Sunday. At dawn pretty mellow, then increasing a bit mid day. Everywhere from 5 to 20 through out the day. The more to the west you go from the shoreline the stronger the wind.

Morning
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 11.50.08 AM.png

Mid Day
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 11.49.30 AM.png

Evening
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 11.50.42 AM.png

Side note. On Thursdat at SH we saw a colourful flasher skimming across the water heading offshore. Looks like someone had a break off at the mainline and the fish was cruising around with some seal jewellery.
If we didn’t have lines down I would have attempted to veer and net it. Looked pretty big. Of course only to take the hook and flasher out and set it free.
Anyone lose a fish and flasher thursday??

Side note. On Thursdat at SH we saw a colourful flasher skimming across the water heading offshore. Looks like someone had a break off at the mainline and the fish was cruising around with some seal jewellery.
If we didn’t have lines down I would have attempted to veer and net it. Looked pretty big. Of course only to take the hook and flasher out and set it free.

On tues we had a spring straighten a snap swivel and we lost a bloody nose cop car teaser head behind a blue moojelly/glow flasher. It was a big fish. Could have still been it swimming around exhausted.

Windfinder and big wave dave are opposites fo4 sunday.........which doesn't happen too often.

View attachment 56659 View attachment 56661

I used to use all three then averaged between them all but I stopped doing that after last year when there was the massive gale force winds all over Howe Sound destroying everything and Windfinder said it was supposed to be blowing 5 to 10 all through the day. Not sure if that's normal for their app to be out that much or if was a glitch that day but I took it off my phone and lap top that day :) BigWaveDave I've used for fishing off shore up the West Coast a lot cause I've found it to be pretty accurate for forcasts up there but for some reason when I look at it locally over the past couple years it's been really off as well. I've been sticking with Windy cause it's been super accurate at least this past year and a half or so that I've been using it solely. The phone app though isn't as good as the desk top version for seeing the "big picture" of weather systems moving around the areas I want to fish. So I check it all out on the desk top the day before planning my trips then take pics of the desk top with my cel phone so I have all the desk top info readily available on my cell phone. Looking at the desk top version on the cell isn't as clear as the bigger screen desk top version I can get on my lap top or home computer. But saying all of that I haven't been using the WindFinder and BWD at all lately so can't comment if they've gotten any better as of late.

I passed a ‘swimming’ green flasher yesterday. Had a fish that was attached to it as it jumped when I turned boat to chase it down.

Only 1 solid hit at sandheads. At least the water has calmed down from this morning. 89 on the rigger going with the current. Brutal to go against it. Very strong today

Went out this morning in a buddies boat , ran out the south arm and as we just got out the big motor quit. So we decided to start fishing. 5 minutes in we had a marble in the low 20’s in the boat. Then released a couple of under size springs. And then picked one in the low teens. We decided to head back up river to captain cover ramp while we could on the kicker. . Found a blown fuse for the fuel pump as we were coming close to Steveston. It would of been a long go on the kicker. Fish were caught on anchovy’s, dark green teaser head at 60 ft. And there were a lot of nets out first thing this morning. :)

Out since 8, started at T-10 (wonky current had us pick up and move) currently at Sandheads. Put one in the box #15 red. Slow slow slow and lots of combat fishing interactions..

If it was an old school red flasher it could have been ours.
Convergence rod tip either blew up or came detached and went overboard when the fish decided to take another run as I was about to net it.
Gave the guys who were watching on the boat next to us a good laugh.
Green fish...

We did. Green flasher. 6 ft leader. Coho Blue Teaser head. Just in case someone did find a rig like that swimming around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back