Yamaha kicker hydraulic steering

ktillett

Does anyone know what hydraulic ram may fit on a 8hp Yamaha? I'd like to run my kicker remotely but the swim step doesn't allow for an easy steer type system work. Or is a TR1 system the way to go?

I would use a hc-5345 or a Baystar ram.

Have to make custom spacers. Not a biggy

Way better route then the tr1

On the 9.9 Yamaha I use the same ram as on my 200 Yam...which I believe is the 5345. On mine you have to cut the transom clamps off and use the 4 bolt holes located on the mounting bracket to bolt the engine to your boat. This allows the ram enough room to swing down and have full rotation allowing you to fully tilt the engine up. Otherwise the ram hits the clamps half way up and prevents it coming up any further.

I was thinking remote station connected to the main.
I am assuming that your kicker is electric start, remote control with electric tilt trim. If so would there any way you could install a tiebar between the two engines permanently so that you did not need to remove/ install it each time you want to use it. A two station steering system, one at the helm and one at the stern near the kicker controls is relatively easy to install.

I agree it is junk,
the only way to go is a TR1 or a tie bar and auto pilot on the main…if the wallet allows of course.
I have a Lowrance system now and been looking at their auto pilot system. It's one of the reasons I've been looking at a hydraulic ram for the kicker. I'd like to tie it in with the helm. Not sure if that's a smart move or not

I am assuming that your kicker is electric start, remote control with electric tilt trim. If so would there any way you could install a tiebar between the two engines permanently so that you did not need to remove/ install it each time you want to use it. A two station steering system, one at the helm and one at the stern near the kicker controls is relatively easy to install.
The tiebar setup will Interfere with tilting the kicker. Otherwise I'd use it. And yes. It's electric start and tilt

Buy this never look back. Had it 10 years and it’s flawless. You can run kicker from main steering. Tilt up without ever connecting or disconnecting.
That looks great,the kicker can be set back out of line with main on it's own fixed bracket.I'll look into that when I get my next boat,if it needs it.

After seeing how the Lowrance autopilot worked on Kailc's boat,I'm a firm believer and much cheaper than the Garmin TR system that only turns the kicker.Much more positive steering with main and kicker and simple to use.Adds a whole new level of comfort to the boat.

I have a Lowrance system now and been looking at their auto pilot system. It's one of the reasons I've been looking at a hydraulic ram for the kicker. I'd like to tie it in with the helm. Not sure if that's a smart move or not
Lowrance Autopilot ties in with the main hydraulic steering on my boat and the tie bar controls the kicker steering, whether in autopilot or not. I wouldn’t do a separate hydraulic ram but my buddy has one on his whaler venture and it works. I’d make sure to talk to the right marine mechanics, I saw two f….ed up kicker steering installs on my buddies boat, they finally did it right the third time.

After seeing how the Lowrance autopilot worked on Kailc's boat,I'm a firm believer and much cheaper than the Garmin TR system that only turns the kicker.Much more positive steering with main and kicker and simple to use.Adds a whole new level of comfort to the boat.
Ray I opted for a true autopilot 20 plus years ago for that very reason. In big wide and tide the kicker only systems can't maintain a heading. Mine can steer in those conditions better than I can. Mine is capable of handling the main and kicker cylinder rams...you just have to make sure they are synced up in the same position...turning both to either the extreme port or starboard ensures they are in unison.

Back