Kicker motor steering and auto pilot

Ya its a bluetooth one that connects to the lowrance head unit. Theres one for sale right now in the buy sell section.

I thought long and hard before choosing which way to go for kicker steering. Everyone's needs and wants are different but after trying intelisteer on my buddy boat I chose to go hydraulic and am so glad I did. I wanted to go full remote controls for engine control but my model of merc is tiller only. Ship Happens gave me great advice and hooked me up with just the electronic throttle control and the whole setup works awesome for my application. Mind yo20220622_152428.jpgu I did get the whole hydraulic steering system used for $200

I had 2 - 3 way alves when I had the inboard and simply turn the lever up and i had steering on the kicker from front or back of boat, ive now taken out 2 of the lines and swithed it aound so the main and kicker turn when kicker is down and when disengaged (levers down) its only the main that turns . with this type of system for a inboard you need the lil ram for kickers worked great for me no problems in 12 years now 15 and still great hydrolic is the only way to go!!!

It's way better when your swinging both engines while turning on kicker power. Though there are decent options for a kicker only autopilot, remote steer etc. The full hydraulic system like what wolf and I are referring to is basically a professional level equipment. Totally different ballpark with unlimited options. However totally different ballpark on a price tag. Off the top of my head, you wpuld be 10 grand easy. But really that number depends on installation and additional options like rear helm and which autopilot you choose. Personally I'm a fan of separate electronics for different devices, however it comes with a cost for sure.

I am still using the Nautamatic TR-1 auto pilot on my yami kicker. I believe it's a unit from the late 90's and is still working. It's hydraulic steering with throttle control. Once you use one of these units it would be very hard to go back to any kind of manual steering or something without the autopilot. This system keeps the boat going in a straight line. You can adjust the heading by pressing either the right or left turn control and then just let it go on the new heading.
My advice would be to go with the full autopilot feature for your kicker.

I am still using the Nautamatic TR-1 auto pilot on my yami kicker. I believe it's a unit from the late 90's and is still working. It's hydraulic steering with throttle control. Once you use one of these units it would be very hard to go back to any kind of manual steering or something without the autopilot. This system keeps the boat going in a straight line. You can adjust the heading by pressing either the right or left turn control and then just let it go on the new heading.
My advice would be to go with the full autopilot feature for your kicker.
You are lucky as many have used that system with utter fail I knew one guy that had 4 or 5 of "that system" as it was always breaking down so he slap on the part that failed. changing it in and out all the time then sending it away to be fixed .
ONLY downside to these so called "auto pilots" is people think GREAT I dont have to steer anymore well being in a pack and no one watcing in front of there boat is scary and rather annoying especially when I have to sound on my HORN and yell so they dont hit me. or someone else.

Good Luck wolf

You are lucky as many have used that system with utter fail I knew one guy that had 4 or 5 of "that system" as it was always breaking down so he slap on the part that failed. changing it in and out all the time then sending it away to be fixed .
ONLY downside to these so called "auto pilots" is people think GREAT I dont have to steer anymore well being in a pack and no one watcing in front of there boat is scary and rather annoying especially when I have to sound on my HORN and yell so they dont hit me. or someone else.

Good Luck wolf
Agreed, I am lucky, been working for 25 years or so :). Clean living, I guess. This is the system pre Garmin taking over.
Just because you have an autopilot doesn't mean you're not watching out for others and adjusting your direction accordingly. Your point reminds me of the story of the guy with cruise control on his motorhome and going into the back to get a coffee. That doesn't usually work out too well, lol.

Last edited:
Ya its a bluetooth one that connects to the lowrance head unit. Theres one for sale right now in the buy sell section.
Thanks, you find it fine for just s
This is the new style intellisteer relay box. It's a relay box with a wireless remote device. Pretty simple . It will flip flop power and ground output, to the auto pilot hydraulic pump. Or it will control any 12v device that needs to go one way and flip and go the other way for jog steering.

View attachment 91424

The first generation was different. They don't sell them anymore. They used transitor control for the power ground flip flop function for motor output. Which woukd not work with another device attached because when you turned the unit on the motor output wires would both sit at ground.

The garmin auto pilot and the simrad both have wireless jog remotes if I'm not mistaken. So you won't need the unit above if going with hydraulic. You'll need

Helm, one or 2

Inboard cylinder and one outboard cylinder

Tie bar valve

Autopilot system
this is the intelli system I have. I just drove to harbour chandler to see if I could get the cable drive lowrance auto. Wanted to see if it’s the same drive. Both octopus drives but the lowrance is type s it looks like

Auto would probably be worth a couple grand to me if it worked reliably but not 10k plus at this time

Thanks, you find it fine for just s

this is the intelli system I have. I just drove to harbour chandler to see if I could get the cable drive lowrance auto. Wanted to see if it’s the same drive. Both octopus drives but the lowrance is type s it looks like
Any autopilot pilot with motor wire output just gets put in parallel intellisteer control box. Doesn't matter if it's a hydraulic pump or an electric cable unit.

Back