WTB Seastar 1.7 hydraulic helm

Oscar162

Looking for a seastar 1.7 helm to accommodate 2nd steering stn on my project eagle...2.4 would also work. cheers, Oscar

Looking for a seastar 1.7 helm to accommodate 2nd steering stn on my project eagle...2.4 would also work. cheers, Oscar
I’ve got one with the tilt option. Not 100% sure I want to sell it but feel free to make me an offer, you never know. Pics available if you’d like to see them.

I have a 1.7 tilt helm too- 800 and its yours. had to remove it when I swapped to verados, but its nicer than the mercury helm

I have a 1.7 tilt helm too- 800 and its yours. had to remove it when I swapped to verados, but its nicer than the mercury helm
Thx.... but that's wayyyyy more than this budget builder is willing to pay.( Yes I know what they are worth new.....) Cheers

Yes I saw that one... was hoping for something a bit closer to home (lower mainland). A couple of other members have reached out, no panic one will show up at some point. Cheers

Yes I saw that one... was hoping for something a bit closer to home (lower mainland). A couple of other members have reached out, no panic one will show up at some point. Cheers
I bought one of these from this guy. He shipped it no problem minimal cost ($30?). It will be installed this week so haven't used it yet but first impression it looked great.

Last edited:
Vevor has it's place for certain things but not for a critical item like boat steering.
It's dumb. You going to save a few hundred bucks and buy some ****** system that's ripping off our own industry? Makes zero sense. Period the end. I actually loose respect for people over **** like that

It's dumb. You going to save a few hundred bucks and buy some ****** system that's ripping off our own industry? Makes zero sense. Period the end. I actually loose respect for people over **** like that
So enlighten me then your internet /TV /laptop /computer /cell phone /car/ truck/ all has stuff made over sea's oh don't forget your fish finder / braid . mono line ...... to name a few ..... it's called doing thing's on a limited budget ...can't all run round in 1.5 million dollar coastal craft's even then there is off shore stuff in them ??????? but lets get back on track anyone got a hdy helm for the OP

looks like the "pro" model operates at a diff (higher - 1500) pressure.... might cause some issues? anyone have any input?
Yes it does. It also has slightly less turns lock to lock and slightly stiffer steering. Uses the same cylinder as the 1.7 helm. I don’t know if standard hoses will be ok with it. Maybe someone knows. Ship?

It's a great question. The parts book would really tell the tale. From what I understand the Pro lineup consists of their helm 2.0, ram 6345, and the hose which have Kevlar reinforcement. Yes the hose are rated to 1500 psi but I'm pretty sure it's because of the hydraulic expansion that occurs when doing extreme performance type applications. In our world it's not nessesary. By that I mean boats with quads or racing boats doing 80 mph plus. I think without looking at the part book you won't find the little difference in the ram itself. I know they made it stronger with stronger hardware.

You could for sure use a pro helm in place of a 1.7 if you wanted to use it as a normal steering system on a sport fishing boat. I would just assume it won't have the same feel but I could be wrong. They might have improved the 2.0 helm feel when they went to the Pro lineup. The more fluid you flow with each turn comes wheel resistance.

Basically think of it like this. For the hydraulic pressure to raise up past where the standard hoses are rated to, you would have to add that much more resistance to the system, and for that to occur you'll need to be stressing that system all the way past that standard rating. The ram and hardware will also have to be rated for that beating for Seastar to assume liability and provide warranty.

Last edited:
Mines still up for grabs. 1.7 Seastar with tilt. $500. Located near Kelowna IMG_7605.jpegIMG_7604.jpegIMG_7610.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7603.jpeg
    IMG_7603.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 8
Back