WTB 10' aluminum boat

jeffywestcoast

i am looking for a 10' aluminum in good shape, also may consider a Jon boat of the same size. My truck has a short box and a roll shutter so 10' is as big as i can go or it will stick out of the box to much. :) Located in Nanaimo Jefflafortune@hotmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
highly recommend a jon. I have a 1032 lund jon, you get alot more space out of a 10ft jon apposed to a 10 ft v hull. You do get beat up on wavy days though.

Kunni

i think the only draw back is weight limitations with the jon boats though, with my 6 horse and electric and battery and beer gut i t doesn't leave much room to bring a buddy along. Only drawback i can see so far. Also i found a 12" jonboat on craigslist for 600 bucks pretty tempting but then the whole sticking to far outta the truck thing comes into play.

i think the only draw back is weight limitations with the jon boats though, with my 6 horse and electric and battery and beer gut i t doesn't leave much room to bring a buddy along. Only drawback i can see so far. Also i found a 12" jonboat on craigslist for 600 bucks pretty tempting but then the whole sticking to far outta the truck thing comes into play.

I dont know why but the jons are rated for far less weight than they can actually take. My 10 fter is rated for 310 pounds I think, I regularly put me a buddy aprox 300 lbs, 2 batteries 120 pounds total, 20 pounds of anchors, other gear 20 pounds, food + drinks 5 lbs=465 lbs give or take. I have put 3 people in it and had close to 650lbs and it was surprisingly good, didnt sit as low in the water as I thought, but thats for really calm days only. If you have a 6 hp you might want to consider a v hull they can take considerably more power. I only use a electric motor though, I think the 10 and 12 ft jons are only rated for 3 hp.

lots to consider

Kunni

on the other hand though i would like to have a nice light boat like that! do you get 11 hrs out of one battery? ever been caught on the lake where the wind picks up and the electric wont get you back to the boatlaunch..that's kinda why i am thinking of the v shaped hull and 10' because if i want to go fishing by myself which i do quite a bit i can still load it in and out of the truck by myself.

yeah my boat is super light 80 pounds. I leave all my fishing gear in it so that I can load it at a moments notice :). I get around 11ish hours out of a battery on a very calm no wind day, but a windy day more like 8. I have a 40 lbs electric, I have never been caught on the lake not being able to get back. I do find that the jons have a lower profile so they might get blown around less in the wind, but they dont have the displacement in the water like a v hull would. In waves a few will break over the bow if I have a second person siting at the front, you wont get that with a v hull. To be honest I dont think you will be unhappy with either boat, they both have pros and cons choose what you think works best for you.

Kunni

Here's my new 10 foot rig, it's like a dock, can't be tipped its so wide in the water. 85 pounds, welded hull, 45 Traxxis variable speed electric, seats 3 adults. Not for sale though, but if you can find a used one, they are a great boat.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1376662332.207061.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1376662332.207061.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 982

If you have a trailer hitch receiver on your truck you could get a bed extender that would allow you to carry a longer boat. Something like this:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Tubes/Adjustable-Hitch-Mount-Truck-Bed-Extender/8318156.p

That's a beauty of a rig there Big Green Machine.. i bet a very stable platform indeed for fly fishing, i have seen them on the market for around 1200 bucks , a little more then the Jon boats but i can see why. more then double the weight capacity of the jon boat of the same size. Bigbruce that is something i haven't seen before, my truck has the complete tow package and this might be something to look at. was trying to avoid another trailer. I used to have a fiberglass punt that worked well for trout fishing for me , only problem was it weighed about 300 lbs and that's why i sold it, to hard on the back trying to lift it up on the tailgate of my truck.

Here's my new 10 foot rig, it's like a dock, can't be tipped its so wide in the water. 85 pounds, welded hull, 45 Traxxis variable speed electric, seats 3 adults. Not for sale though, but if you can find a used one, they are a great boat.

Do you find you have any soft spots in the floor? I used to have the identical boat but sold it because mines floor was quite soft. Possibly it was just my boat. If it werent for the soft spots in the floor it was an awesome boat, a spratley without the weight. Having the bottom beam being 49 inches apposed to a 32 inch beam makes all the difference. I was able to stand at one corner of the boat and it was barely effected.

Kunni

Do you find you have any soft spots in the floor? I used to have the identical boat but sold it because mines floor was quite soft. Possibly it was just my boat. If it werent for the soft spots in the floor it was an awesome boat, a spratley without the weight. Having the bottom beam being 49 inches apposed to a 32 inch beam makes all the difference. I was able to stand at one corner of the boat and it was barely effected.

Kunni

It is not a very high gauge aluminum, but the cross stringers are solid. I made floorboards for it, covered in carpet to keep the noise down and provide no rough edges or corners that could nick the fly line.

It is not a very high gauge aluminum, but the cross stringers are solid. I made floorboards for it, covered in carpet to keep the noise down and provide no rough edges or corners that could nick the fly line.

The floor is a good idea, do you trailer it? I always car topped mine

Kunni

Mine is a Harbercraft Fly fisher, which is a 9' Jon. The US nameplate inside says it's rated for 3 people or 480lbs with 3 hp motor, gear and people. The Canadian nameplate rates it for 2 adults 498lbs and a 6hp motor. Go figure. Nice boat though super stable. I have a 4hp and it planes quite nicely with just me the dog and the fuel tank and some gear fwd to keep the bow down.

That's exactly what i am after, i have an electric motor for trolling but i want to be able to use my 6 horse motor on it, if i can find a Jon boat the can handle a 6 horse like that and is not to expensive that is route i am looking to go..My 6 horse is an old 80's 2 stroke evinrude and only weighs maybe 60 lbs..

Well Kunni i tried today to buy a 1032 jon boat brand new in Nanaimo , the salesman was really helpful , we looked at all the models and i told him i wanted the most basic smallest one, the 1032..he said sure.. then he told me they were out of stock.. so i asked him if i could order one and he told me i could get one from the very next shipment... in November....LAME.. Anyone know where else i could pick one up on the island?

Sherwood marine I believe stocks them. Stay away from tracker boats they had a major quality control issue a few years back. Google tracker welds. They don't call them crackers for no reason. Lund, and Lowe are the same thing. They are pretty nice g3 boats by Yamaha have a 1036 Jon boat which would take your 6 hp, there very hard to find, but very nice.

Kunni

Ya i have the brochure here from Parker marine, they are nice and 6 horse would be great, thanks for the heads-up about tracker boats, i was just looking at the 12' for 799 good deal but i guess that is why. Dam.. i am not ruling out even a fiberglass boat in the 10' variety... Also the 1036 has a 52" beam which makes it to big to fit between the wheel wells in the box i think.

Actually i found 3 of the 1036, models, salesman says they will fit in back of pick-up between the wheel-wells.., kinda stoked on wanting to buy one, only problem is they are in port moody...

There is stack of those Jon boats leaning against a wall in different sizes at boat land in Campbell river

Back