Worms in Salmon

Tinny

The other day was about to vacuum pack a Chinook filet when noticed some movement. Had a better look and out crawls this 2” worm. Anyone know what kind of worm this is? First time I’ve seen one in a salmon.

I’ve seen the big tapeworms you find in the Chinook guts every once in a while and the darker ones in bottom fish meat but this one is new to me and just looked nasty.

Attachments

• AA787094-D23D-42E8-B24A-5BA47DB3C1DB.jpeg
    AA787094-D23D-42E8-B24A-5BA47DB3C1DB.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 07EACBDD-EC59-4513-8C5E-AA7B570E1F80.jpeg
    07EACBDD-EC59-4513-8C5E-AA7B570E1F80.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 111
The other day was about to vacuum pack a Chinook filet when noticed some movement. Had a better look and out crawls this 2” worm. Anyone know what kind of worm this is? First time I’ve seen one in a salmon.

I’ve seen the big tapeworms you find in the Chinook guts every once in a while and the darker ones in bottom fish meat but this one is new to me and just looked nasty.
Looks like a big nematode (round worm). I've seen quite a few (and we've all eaten plenty) in flesh, particularly chum that's headed for the smoker. They actually crawl out of the meat when it starts to heat up in the smoker. I just make sure to get enough maple glaze on 'em

Yeah those are pretty common if you start looking closely. Normally in the belly of chinook, never that many and totally normal. This is why it's important to freeze fish or cook when fresh. I recently brined up some coho and notice one tailpiece had a worm coming out of it. I pulled the worm from the meat and it was motionless and appeared dead. I guess 12hours in a bath of brown sugar and salt is bad for worm health :)

And that's why you should at the very least flash freeze before serving raw or cooked...

And prawns are basically big water bugs. Just sayin!

And prawns are basically big water bugs. Just sayin!
Wild prawns are safer than the farmed prawns from the orient. I once observed a farmed one with some kind of round worm that had bored right through the main muscle of the tail and was sticking out the side. If I eat prawns now it is either local caught spot prawns or frozen raw or blanched, wild caught Argentinean prawns. The wild Argentinean prawns are large, not pricey, and way better with huge flavour compared to the tasteless, cooked and frozen, rubber like farmed prawns.

Last edited:
Dont look closely at halibut meat ...or ling cod... once cooked you dont see them ...just a lil more proteins dont worry!!! LOL LOL
Lol, have friends from back east, their wife’s scope cod and Hali, they just hold the fillet over a light and if they see worms it’s gone, most of them have worms, like you said just cook the slimy things and eat away, or just become a vegan

you will find this in salmon as well from time to time
salminicola or often called tapiok disease.jpgTapioka disease

Lol, have friends from back east, their wife’s scope cod and Hali, they just hold the fillet over a light and if they see worms it’s gone, most of them have worms, like you said just cook the slimy things and eat away, or just become a vegan
These ladies may have worked at a fish plant back East. A part of the assembly line consists of sliding the fillets, especially cod, over a glass that has a light below it. The worms easily show up with the light and are pulled out with tweezers. All a part of quality control at the plants. I do it all the time with Hali fillets especially with fish that I'm gonna give to friends.

My daughter sent me a pic of a worm she had pulled from a piece of Hail I had given her. Now she won't eat it anymore. More for me I guess.

Back