Wintering wash down pump

RevyG

Crew Member
Hey guys, just looking for pro tips on winterizing my wash down pump, last year my dealer did it but I want to do it myself, it's a through hull fitting, do you guys just jam a hose in there and into the RV antifreeze and run it till its spraying out or is there a fitting or better way.
Thanks in advance

Hey guys, just looking for pro tips on winterizing my wash down pump, last year my dealer did it but I want to do it myself, it's a through hull fitting, do you guys just jam a hose in there and into the RV antifreeze and run it till its spraying out or is there a fitting or better way.
Thanks in advance

got the 3/4 jabsco fitting to 3 feet of some tubing. Stick it in a jug of anti freeze and pump away until it’s coming out your hose. Unhook the hose to the thru hole open seacock and drain it.

so yea basically as you describe!

got the 3/4 jabsco fitting to 3 feet of some tubing. Stick it in a jug of anti freeze and pump away until it’s coming out your hose. Unhook the hose to the thru hole open seacock and drain it.

so yea basically as you describe!
  • 90 degree 3/4 inch port Jabsco part 30642-1000

Would it be easy to disconnect the hoses and drain?
yes, well the 'garden' hose but being one of those coiled up kind and for the pump and screen and things just nice peace of mind knowing you have antifreeze in all the potential water spots.

what kind of anti freeze u using and if the pump is empty why do you need to put antifreeze in ?
I would figure if you left the nozzle open any pressure created by our one or two days of freezing would more than suffice ???
I ve never done this anyone else doing it ? maybe I better ... thanks

RV anti freeze, like I mentioned, the dealer did it last year, so I figured it was a good idea, make sure that there is no water left in any part of the system, like pump, hose, screen filter. I can't say it will help.....but can't hurt for peace of mind.

i presume it has salt water in the pump? please do not use rv antifreeze if you use your wash down to clean your catch, that stuff is for your p traps in a rv. not the fresh water side

i presume it has salt water in the pump? please do not use rv antifreeze if you use your wash down to clean your catch, that stuff is for your p traps in a rv. not the fresh water side
No, fresh Arrow Lakes water in it now, salt from Aug trip long gone, I will pump copious amounts of fresh water through it before I ever use it to clean any fish next spring when I am able to. Thanks though, I appreciate everyone's tips.

No, fresh Arrow Lakes water in it now, salt from Aug trip long gone, I will pump copious amounts of fresh water through it before I ever use it to clean any fish next spring when I am able to. Thanks though, I appreciate everyone's tips.
pull the discharge line off and turn on the pump for 10 seconds and any water will be gone.

that is strait from my rv manual on winterizing the pump

sorry but that is false.

It is designed for RV plumbing including water lines. every single rv dealership uses it.... i wouldn't be worried about putting it through a washdown pump. Its non toxic.

sorry but that is false.

It is designed for RV plumbing including water lines. every single rv dealership uses it.... i wouldn't be worried about putting it through a washdown pump. Its non toxic.
That's what I thought but didn't want to start a big 'thing' on here.

sorry but that is false.

it is not needed, it so easy to either blow out with air or drain properly

Thanks guys for all the input, don't want this to turn into a 'Aluminum VS Glass thread, haha' to each his own, I am going to put some antifreeze in mine with the sweet adapter Donnie mentioned just as the dealer did, peace of mind, I have some already from my cabin winterizing and seems straight forward, again I appreciate all the PRO tips

the worst thing to do is leave a small amount of water in the pump housing. as said disconnect and blow air through.

here is a good youtube on the process by Jabsco, makers of pumps

pull the discharge line off and turn on the pump for 10 seconds and any water will be gone.

that is strait from my rv manual on winterizing the pump
Yup, no water no freeze lol, dealers have a way of f…. People, you got to do this and that and this and that for a total of 1700$ lol. All you need to do is give it a good fresh water flush, drain all in and out hose and that’s it no antifreeze needed, yes I blow air with a compressor, but not much water comes out

Back