winter springs victoria

Out in Victoria today and nothing. Except crabs... So we're eating crab tonight.

Maybe this weekend it will pick up

Solo Cangrejo

Picked up 8 & 12 lb winter springs this afternoon off the waterfront.
both fish were deep 160' on the rigger.
One hit on a Glo/green hootchie, the other on a cricket squirt.
released a small fish also.
We had a long time between bites, overall seemed slow.

Released 4, kept 1 and lost 1 in an epic battle with a seal.
The first 5 were all small 45-50cm.
The last 1 hit and very shortly I saw a seal. Next he had the fish. I told my father inlaw to head right for him. We then chased him around for about 15 minutes trying to keep the boat over him. Each time he surfaced he was a bit closer and a lot more exhausted. I finally got tired of it and could see that only the head of the fish was left so I held on to snap the line. Instead everthing came free.
When I got to the end of my line I had my flasher and teaser with the head of about a 10 lber as well as another bunch of line with a flasher, spoon and the head of a smaller fish.
Greedy b@st@rd!!!

Great weather today!!

Tips

Hooked four landed 3 and kept 2 at 7 and 9 pounds. 125 ahd 140 feet at Bedfords and Pedder. Bite turned on when we found the bait at the deep hole in Pedder around 3:30 p.m. How nice not to be hanging on for dear life in a south easter for a change.

So,

It looks like it did pick up this weekend. Sunday was a good day it seems.

I went out today and caught a tiny ling cod! Yey!

So I'm new to this. I've been cruising the dallas road water front at about 150 -170ft - between the break water and clover point. Using purple haze and green flashers and various hoochies with X-10 scent on them.

We've had only moderate success. Any advice would be appreciated.

Are there other techniques or areas that I could try?

Thanks!

Cangrejo, learn a couple spots well, fish the tide changes, keep a log book, talk to others, make small changes to bait, spoon or hootchies and see what works (e.g. color, size, leader length), in the winter fish near bottom and follow the bait.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

quote:areas that I could try
Sooke, I rarely hear of any great fishing off the waterfront.

I have had some great days fishing off the waterfront...
last year in December we had 9 fish on on an afternoon, largest
about 12 lbs.
Cangrejo, you are doing the right thing
just be patient, as Porcupine told me if you caught fish every time out, you would soon lose interest.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

as Porcupine told me if you caught fish every time out, you would soon lose interest.

Amen to that. That's what keeps fishing interesting. I'm always learning.

quote:December we had 9 fish on on an afternoon, largest
about 12 lbs.

Ya but last year in December guys were catching 20+ fish a day in sooke, so its relative. Lets be honest, the waterfront hasn't been good in years.

went out for an hour and a bit on sunday before getting blown off the water... no bites.

anyone getting much action lately?

Tent Island and Booth Bay at Crofton /Chemainus have produced , 2 beauties (not in my boat dammit) 21 lb and 25 lb . several in the mid teens , spoons are doing the trick , tried hootchies , nothing , son got one on a coyote spoon with orange on it.

Crabs are nice now good shells and filling out with meat , colder than s**t though.

Cheers

AL

Chatted to a guide buddy of mine he lost close to 12 fish to seals the other day he said it was the worst ever he has ever saw lost 8 set ups off of a spot of of victoria I dont need to advertise you all know where i am talking.WTF is going on with these damn seals it getting worse very year.
but hey lets spend another 400,000 and send some more university people from ottawa again to see if seals REALLY do eat salmon!!!!

Sorry for the hijack

Wolf

I went out yesterday and saw quite a few boats, 5 maybe. Most people were between Finlayson point and Clover point when I was out there.

Did anybody have any luck?

We were out Saturday off Victoria harbour and saw a couple of small
springs caught but we were skunked so badly that even the seals
quit following us! I tried strip, squirt, kitchen sink and a plug.
My buddy tried purple haze & stip. It was cold! However, when it warms up we shall try again.

Back