Winter Reports Sooke and Victoria 2008/2009

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Ok Ok, so i am young and not so wise about the cannon balls idea! But i was wondering "What is a winter spring" ? Where do they come from adn where are they going? This has confused me for 2 years now, and i belive somone on here should be able to provide some sort of answer!!!

-Steve

"Winter Springs" are juvinile Chinook salmon, anywhere from 2-4 years old. We call them "winters" because they appear in great numbers inshore along our coasts during the winter months, peaking in December-March, but can usually be found September to May.

They are VERY eager to hit just about any lure you dangle in front of them, as they are young fish primarily in the growth stage of their life. They are usually found near the bottom, off Victoria/Sooke at 70-250 feet.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by Poe

And juandesooka..roughly where in front iof sooke did you here these tall tales[8D]

Right in front of Sooke Harbour, in front of Whiffen Spit, I believe. Usual plan for me is head straight out, maybe 130-150' deep, then troll west, anywhere from there to the Wells o' Weary trailer park.

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

Well i know very well they are agressive!!! But when do these fish swim north to Alaska? And a few posts back somone had said these are mostly Puget sound hatchery fish. Are these fish always local or will they eventually swim north returning in 2 years?

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

And juandesooka..roughly where in front iof sooke did you here these tall tales[8D]

Right in front of Sooke Harbour, in front of Whiffen Spit, I believe. Usual plan for me is head straight out, maybe 130-150' deep, then troll west, anywhere from there to the Wells o' Weary trailer park.

That's what I thought, always good fishing there this time of year.

And thanks LC I think I will stick around sooke this weekend, a little too cold for my boat out there [8D]

quote:Well i know very well they are agressive!!! But when do these fish swim north to Alaska? And a few posts back somone had said these are mostly Puget sound hatchery fish. Are these fish always local or will they eventually swim north returning in 2 years?

Not sure if they go out into the Berring sea as well, however the majority of the fin clipped fish we caught last winter season were from the Nisqually river in Puget Sound, according to the wire tags submitted to DFO's return program. Some were over 15 lbs, and without those Puget clipped fish it would be half the fishery and half the fun.[:p]

www.tailspincharters.com

Tips up sorry for the late reply!! From Secretary to Sooke Bluffs 130 - 180 feet of water. Keep the gear on the bottom that is the key.Coyotes ,spoons or hootchies,leave the bait at home!!!
Cheers Codfish

dy

Don't forget to wave at me and the missus in the Boston Whaler wishing we were sitting in a warm cabin [:p]

Don't forget to wave at me and the missus in the Boston Whaler wishing we were sitting in a warm cabin [:p]

Braver than us for sure [8D] This was off Sooke couple of weeks ago. Is that yer rig?
cheers

november2008006.jpg

JUST FISHEN'

Come on now ...looks like a nice day to me... don't need my warm cabin and moose roast w'gravy [:eek:)]

On The Beach

Pedder was good yesterday. Hootchies didn't work so I switched to strip. Hooked 5 landed 3 kept an 8 and a 10. Nice day from about 10:00 to 1:30. Tons of bait everywhere. All of the fish were fin clipped. Nearly lost one to a seal.

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

Braver than us for sure [8D] This was off Sooke couple of weeks ago. Is that yer rig?
cheers

november2008006.jpg

JUST FISHEN'

Heh thats the one...thanks for the pic[8D]

What a nice late morning bite! 3 good strikes,only managed to get the last one but good enough for dinner guests tonight. :D

Good off Clover today as well... 2 in the tub, 2 long line release's
and one undersize released at the boat.
Real deep, 200-215' off the downrigger's on glow squirts.
:D

What was the hot ticket Last Chance? I'm taking out Coop and one of his wife's relatives tomorrow. I saw a few come in to Sooke today as well.

Cheers Codfish

dy

Back