Who wants a no comment policy and a "good guy" thread???

Sculpin

I have been on this site for quite a few years now and I have witnessed the havoc in the Buy Sell and Trade section of the forum. I find this section to be totally unworthy of posting anything for sale in IMO. The attacks, misinformation, and general non conductive behavior is unacceptable at best compared to other forums of the same nature.

I would like to see a BST (Buy, Sell , and Trade) section that has a no comment feature to it like many forums of the same nature. I think it would be appreciated by many members that are not sure or afraid of posting on here because of the comments of other members. IMO there would be more items for sale in the section if this were applied.

Also under this kind of BST section, you could include a "good guy" sticky thread that would have people posting up the good transactions from member to member etc.

IMO it is time to kill the havoc and negative post's on the Buy, Sell, and Trade section of this forum.

I tend to agree that the old adage "if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all" should apply to the for sale section. Too many guys making negative remarks. If you don't want to buy the item, that's fine, just keep your disparaging remarks to yourself. Very poor form by some members these days.

I agree gents. The section should be for members to trade at will, without negative opinions of worth, or quality from the armchair evaluators. If you have a constructive suggestion for someone selling something where you may be able to offer them some advice on pricing or ways to improve sale-ability, take it to PM. Negotiations should also be taken to PM. I think that compliments of what is for sale should still be allowed though. Lots of people see something for sale and really like it, but do not need it or cannot afford it but still covet what is being offered. I think those comments are appreciated by both sellers and buyers.

Gets my vote.
I think it would help on both fronts, helping weed out the flaky sellers also.

Totally agree. The last time I tried selling a reel I had all sorts of skids chiming in their useless opinions on it. Won't sell anything else on here unless I see changes.

Not sure how this could be accomplished without locking the thread once posted.

VBulletin software allows it as an Admin type setting, I would imagine it could be done on this Xenforo software too.

I do see the benefits of this as it is done on another forum. In saying that, there are instances where having comments is beneficial such as the Downrigger Braid thread started in here by Sr SQ. Coordinating all of that via PM's would be a pain in the...... ;)

Maybe all the users on here need to understand it's a BUY/SELL section of the forum and not a "discussion on the merits of the product and post in question". If I want to sell a Shimano 4000GT for $500.00 or trade for a slightly used MR3, that is my choice. (and my win if I find a taker) :p If I want a debate about the merits of various aluminum boats, put it in the Boating forum. ;)

Yep definitely like to see that. And not meaning to derail this thread it would be nice to see some kind of "your an idiot" button for those guys that like to call others stupid, uneducated or ignorant when thier IQs feel threatened. five hits or something and your barred from posting in that thread. Could kind of be member regulated. Not sure how to implement it but itsure would be nice to have a way of shutting trolls down without closing threads.

Just a thought but I don't truly understand the effort that goes into these websites for all involved so I might be a dumb idea......
We already have a REPORT link in our threads.
If the rules state, no defamatory or otherwise negative posts in this section (my bad for not reading our rule fine print LOL)
Other forums use it to report unreasonable posts to mods, then the mods remove them with stern warnings to the individual about the rules.
Like I said I really don't understand the logistics as to what would be required to make it happen though.
Sculpins idea of a seller ranking or something also seems to help on other forums.

Sr SQ beat me to it. Oftentimes responses to BST threads are useful, usually in the form of requests for more information that benefit all prospective buyers. Negative comments can be reported. Just needs a clear set of guidelines re posting and responding posted with a sticky to keep it at the top of the BST page. Report posts that step outside the guidelines instead of attacking the attacker, that just derails the thread away from the original post. Same goes for all the sub forums really, use the REPORT button if someone breaks the rules. Mods don't have the time to read everything.

Sr SQ beat me to it. Oftentimes responses to BST threads are useful, usually in the form of requests for more information that benefit all prospective buyers. Negative comments can be reported. Just needs a clear set of guidelines re posting and responding posted with a sticky to keep it at the top of the BST page. Report posts that step outside the guidelines instead of attacking the attacker, that just derails the thread away from the original post. Same goes for all the sub forums really, use the REPORT button if someone breaks the rules. Mods don't have the time to read everything.

Agreed, it's nice to get someone's feedback. I've learned a lot just skulking around reading peoples comments and suggestions on the BST....saved me a lot of $$$ and gained other peoples experiences.

This site is generally better than some of the others I use. Gunnutz has no comments in the Buy and Sell area and also has a trader rating function that weeds out the undesirables.

Exactly. All that is needed. Comments and feedback are always helpful. If trollish just report. Not that hard

Santizing a thread omits VERY useful information. Just sayin'. It amounts to a form of censorship with "don't ask don't tell" and "if you don't have anything nice to say about something don't say it" ends up perpetuating a known problem or possible fraud.

I like the idea of a BST with no reply/comment allowed except for the OP to update the thread or bump it back up or delete once deal is done, also bumps need to be limited to once a week, any rule breaking and your banned from BST, should also only be open to members with say 20 posts or more to eliminate the spammers

It should be noted that there is a definition of what a troll is.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Now who was it that said something like this?????
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/general-open-forum-guidelines.64731/page-2

Personally, I prefer forums which have open buy and sell threads, and just punt people who are being serious jerks.

Canadian gun nuts was mentioned above; at one time the Equipment Exchange there had threads that could be commented on and in my opinion it was a lot better. You could effectively bump deserving threads; you could also discuss pricing and condition and so on in a public format .

And scammers got shut down instantly.

IMO any forum small enough to self-police is better off with an open-thread policy in the buy and sell.

If it could be fixed it would increase traffic to the site, and hopefully more revenue through ads to continue to support it. Thehulltruth forum gets amazing traffic and people follow the rule. When a new member "educated" everyone on what I was selling instead of educating him facts and getting into a back and forth, I just sold it elsewhere as many others do.

If it could be fixed it would increase traffic to the site, and hopefully more revenue through ads to continue to support it. Thehulltruth forum gets amazing traffic and people follow the rule. When a new member "educated" everyone on what I was selling instead of educating him facts and getting into a back and forth, I just sold it elsewhere as many others do.
THT is really big to be pulling it off at all, and the mouthpiece-to-quality-poster ratio there isn't pretty.

But look at the Cope centre console thread in this forum: full of good info and helpful suggestions.

Back