A summary of who I am for them who may not know anything about me.

PEETZcanada

Here's my story...then and now.

Many, many moons ago, in a beautiful Island fishing community of Vancouver Island, there was an angler named Robert Van Pelt. Well-known and respected among the locals, Robert had dedicated his life to the art of fishing, immersing himself in every aspect of the trade. From a young age, he had a passion for creating fishing lures and tackle that would make a difference in the fishing world.

Growing up in Victoria, Robert had the privilege of meeting and learning from experienced lure and tackle makers in the area. Inspired by their expertise and wisdom, he found his true calling and pursued a career centered around his love for fishing. Robert introduced his very first product to local independent retailers at the early age of 13. He created many more products and inventions over the years, such as the glow UV coated cannonballs and other coated products. He helped numerous manufactures with product testing and development, everything from lures to rods and reels.

For many dedicated years, Robert worked as a retail sales manager for Pacific Net & Twine in Parksville. Customers sought him out for advice, knowing that his enthusiasm and genuine interest would help them find the perfect gear for their fishing adventures. He became a familiar face in the fishing community, leaving a lasting impact everywhere he went. Robert is also known for helping local Vancouver Island community volunteer salmon enhancement projects and hatcheries, as well as other non-profit fishing focused groups and initiatives by his fundraising efforts with the help of the members from his group FISH ARMY CANADA.

Now, destiny has led Robert to a new opportunity. He has taken on the role of President at Peetz Outdoors, a long-standing company with a rich history spanning nearly a century. As the new face of Peetz, Robert understands the responsibility he has to honor the company's traditions while embracing innovation.

Peetz Outdoors, rooted in Victoria's Rock Bay neighbourhood, is not just a company but a symbol of dedication to craftsmanship. Stepping through its doors feels like walking into a comprehensive high school, where art, science, woodworking, and metalwork converge in a compact workspace steeped in history. The handcrafted fishing reels, spanning nearly a century, hang on the walls, tracing the journey of Boris Peetz, the founder, and showcasing his honed skills in creating timeless fishing gear.

Peetz Outdoors, founded in 1925, recently experienced a revitalization thanks to new investment, ideas, and energy from a former group of partners led by Art and Shawn Aylesworth and Marc Hoelscher. Now with PEETZ Outdoors new owner Robert at the helm, Peetz embraces this new life and prepares to embark on a journey into the future.

Robert and his business partner both recognize the great potential in the Peetz brand and the exceptional craftsmanship behind its gear. They are eager to infuse new energy, invigorating the Peetz legacy and ensuring that the gear is produced for generations to come. They are committed to preserving the tradition of handcrafting each reel, paying attention to every intricate detail, just as Ivan Peetz emphasized to Bill Hooson when he acquired the business in 1977.

As Robert takes on the role of President, he embraces the challenge to bring forth new ideas that will captivate anglers far and wide. With his passion and dedication to the fishing community, he aims to carry the legacy of this beloved brand into the future, staying true to the values that have made Peetz Outdoors so cherished over the years. Robert will merry in PAL, KIKO, Fish Stalker, BETO, Magic Lure Jigs and many more numerous exciting products under the PEETZ House.

Together, Robert and his business partner, with the Peetz Outdoors brand will embark on an exciting and fulfilling journey. They strive to be at the forefront of innovation while honoring the rich history and craftsmanship that define the brand. Anglers everywhere eagerly await the remarkable things that Robert's passion and dedication will bring to their favorite pastime. As the story continues, Peetz Outdoors, with Robert as their new face, we promise that we will create waves in the fishing world for years to come.

2025 will mark 100 years for the PEETZ brand and business. We are committed to going for as many years into the future as we fiscally can.

Last edited:
“Summary”. Thanks for sharing. I love Peetz and the fact the brands from Vic and that old. My buddy worked there spinning the lathe and pouring weights after school for Ivan back in 1970/73. Good luck Robert. It’s a Cadillac of fishing brands. Make it happen. The internets your future.

“Summary”. Thanks for sharing. I love Peetz and the fact the brands from Vic and that old. My buddy worked there spinning the lathe and pouring weights after school for Ivan back in 1970/73. Good luck Robert. It’s a Cadillac of fishing brands. Make it happen. The internets your future.
"summ[a]ry* " Corrected. Thanks, I appreciate that. I only have grade 9 education, so sometimes I see things differently than others. :)

Best of luck, hope you have a ton of success. So glad to see a local guy take over a local, storied company. Looking forward to watching you invigorate your company.

I see they took your picture off the Billboard at PNT. Did they at least let you keep it?
Rumor has it my son Nathan wouldn't let them throw it away. I'm like get rid of it! Lol 😂 it was long overdue. I like the new sign better and the new look on the inside of the building. I check in on them almost every Saturday up there. A good chunk of my life is embedded into that store. It has a special space dedicated in my heart. 🙂

Congratulations on your commitment to carrying on a great brand with such obvious enthusiasm. I was disappointed when I heard it was “closing” and happy to hear of its revitalization. I have shopped Peetz products for many years and look forward to many more. As said elsewhere, I hope you can, over time, grow an internet presence much as Scotty Plastics did.
Best Wishes.

Congrats on the new position and leading Peetz into it's next phase. I hope it goes well.

My Dad had us use a Peetz reel over 50 years ago, most of the time off Tsawwassen. I inherited it and had cleaned it up and it's ready for next season once I put some new line on it.

Congrats on the new position and leading Peetz into it's next phase. I hope it goes well.

My Dad had us use a Peetz reel over 50 years ago, most of the time off Tsawwassen. I inherited it and had cleaned it up and it's ready for next season once I put some new line on it.
Same here... as a youngster us to jump on my friends Dads 16ft double eagle and fish active pass :)

Same here... as a youngster us to jump on my friends Dads 16ft double eagle and fish active pass :)
We used to follow in the Ferry's wake from Tsawwassen to Active Pass in our Dad's 16ft Larson (we called it "The Big Boat" :D ) to even out the bumps. Now I think a 20 footer is too small for comfortable crossing. Boy I'm either getting soft, or cautious.

I don’t get it, are you Robert? Are you the business partner?
That's OK, I wouldn't worry about it too much if you don't understand it at all. I have a grade nine education and a bit of dyslexia so after writing a little over 500 words about my life and who I think it is that I am, I asked AI to summarize what I wrote, then I asked it to write about me as the audience was reading a magazine article. It wrote in third party, which I don't care that it did. All I know is Ai is smarter than me and can be an amazing tool for anyone to use.

It doesn't really matter anyway, only because most people don't care about who I am or what I do anyway. The ones who do know me, might care just a little. Ha. :)

Last edited:
People care about Peetz and Vancouver island business and the people who take them on. Keep up the good work. Utilize video and your phone's speech-to-text features. Post early and often. Think about using an app like Publer or Hootsuite (there are copies out there that are cheaper) to get the word out on a bunch of channels without having to log into all of them. Entrepreneurship is hard, know that many people care, and the good ones should care about you more than the business.
That's OK, I wouldn't worry about it too much if you don't understand it at all. I have a grade nine education and a bit of dyslexia so after writing a little over 500 words about my life and who I think it is that I am, I asked AI to summarize what I wrote, then I asked it to write about me as the audience was reading a magazine article. It wrote in third party, which I don't care that it did. All I know is Ai is smarter than me and can be an amazing tool for anyone to use.

It doesn't really matter anyway, only because most people don't care about who I am or what I do anyway. The ones who do know me, might care just a little. Ha. :)

hahahha we did that too... maybe we road the same wave :)
When I was a kid, Dad and I used to launch our 10 foot pram at Goldstream to save the $1 launching fee that Hall’s Boathouse charged and fish with the Peetz gear -rods, reels, wire line and planer along Chesterfield Rock and over thru Misery Bay! Great memory- always got lots of crabs from the flats in front of the Goldstream also.

Last edited:
Back