White vs Red Springs

Ill take a white spring anytime taste way better on a bbq smoking etc, It is mostly eye appeal which turns people off but I have cooked it for people before and they have all loved it but any seafood has to be cooked properly or it will ALL taste like dog food,ever over cook hali????might as well use it for lighting a fire as it tastes just like sawdust!!!

wolf

Ill take a white spring anytime taste way better on a bbq smoking etc, It is mostly eye appeal which turns people off but I have cooked it for people before and they have all loved it but any seafood has to be cooked properly or it will ALL taste like dog food,ever over cook hali????might as well use it for lighting a fire as it tastes just like sawdust!!!

wolf

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

White spring = BAAARF. Salmon is supposed to be RED, I sent a 34 pounder that I dredged up last weekend to Mom because she doesn't care about the colour.

My $0.02

I'm with you on that L.C. , it's a personal choice but i prefer
a nice red filet anyday.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

White spring = BAAARF. Salmon is supposed to be RED, I sent a 34 pounder that I dredged up last weekend to Mom because she doesn't care about the colour.

My $0.02

I'm with you on that L.C. , it's a personal choice but i prefer
a nice red filet anyday.

I have done a blind taste test with several friends who had opinions on Red vs White and in the end if they are cared for and cooked the same I don't think most folks would know the difference other than colour. Same with Chum.:)

I have done a blind taste test with several friends who had opinions on Red vs White and in the end if they are cared for and cooked the same I don't think most folks would know the difference other than colour. Same with Chum.:)

I was soured on whites with the first one I ever tried but caught a nice one this year and decided to give it a try. It was GREAT. The difference? The first one was caught in a muddy river and the next one out in the salt. I think that because of the higher fat content, they will pick up more off flavors quicker from their surrounding habitat. On a side note, I have also had a couple of not too great tasting reds out of the same river but they were much darker in color. The white was still pretty bright and tasted like absolute crap.

My .02

My experience is that the whites smoke up really nice.:)

So what about marble ones?

I picked up a 38 lber the other day off Cape Beale and it was marbled, half white and half red!

Hey Chachi: I love those marbled springs. You have the best of both worlds. It's gotta be good.[8D] eman

Filleted a creamsicle the other day. Red in the middle with 2 white stripes top and bottom. Looks tasty.

If you eat a fish that has already found it's home river, it has stopped feeding and has has burned off some of it's fat, (flavour and moisture) red or white. The further away they are from their river the better they taste.

If you eat a piece of a fish that is bland, smoke the rest with a 'more sugar than salt' brine and it won't last long.

One day last month I caught two 11 lb springs, one white, one red. I thought that it would be a good opportunity for a taste test. I needed some Lox for making sushi so sent both of them off to Pacific Seafoods in Sidney for cold smoking. The results are in. After independent tasting, both are excellent. If you put me in a head lock, I'd say that the red was a little bit better, but then again, it's a matter of taste. My wife loved the sushi from both, and so did I, as well as other who shared the fish.

Back