White vs Red Springs

I know lots of people look under the gill plate. Have not really explored it much myself.

I just caught my first blonde do they taste different then the regular red meat salmon?

I just caught my first blonde do they taste different then the regular red meat salmon?

They taste good, nothing wrong with them. They may be a tad oilier but, sometimes I prefer the whites to the reds when BBQ'd as the fish seems to stay moister when cooked.

If I was out to get some fish to eat I wouldn't hesitate in bonking a white spring, ever.

People get turned off because the meat's not red but trust me, it's all phsychological if they say they don't like it.

Red or white, bonk away mateys. Don't be afraid. :D:D

They taste good, nothing wrong with them. They may be a tad oilier but, sometimes I prefer the whites to the reds when BBQ'd as the fish seems to stay moister when cooked.

If I was out to get some fish to eat I wouldn't hesitate in bonking a white spring, ever.

People get turned off because the meat's not red but trust me, it's all phsychological if they say they don't like it.

Red or white, bonk away mateys. Don't be afraid. :D:D

I love them both BBQ'd, and the white can definitely be a bit more oily (which prevents it drying out if on the grill) but my absolute favorite preparation is smoked. Because of the thicker fillets, they come out somewhere between lox and gravlax. Just like butter.... Mmmm...

I love them both BBQ'd, and the white can definitely be a bit more oily (which prevents it drying out if on the grill) but my absolute favorite preparation is smoked. Because of the thicker fillets, they come out somewhere between lox and gravlax. Just like butter.... Mmmm...

Smoked my first one the other day and it was excellent. Caught several while out at Renfrew, most of te bigger fish that we caught were whites. Have caught lots in the Vedder and when in the river they have a much stronger smell than reds.

Smoked my first one the other day and it was excellent. Caught several while out at Renfrew, most of te bigger fish that we caught were whites. Have caught lots in the Vedder and when in the river they have a much stronger smell than reds.

I just BBQ'ed pieces of red and white last night. It was unanimous at our dinner table that the white was much milder (less fishy) tasting. Got to admit that the red is prettier, but for taste it's white.

I just BBQ'ed pieces of red and white last night. It was unanimous at our dinner table that the white was much milder (less fishy) tasting. Got to admit that the red is prettier, but for taste it's white.

Whites are great! Tasty on the BBQ and wonderful smoked. I noticed that they often have more 'slime' on their skin so I am extra careful during preparation to remove any slime and to avoid contact with the meat. The fishy flavor is in the slime and can contaminate the meat if your not careful. We should see more big whites moving thru Sooke in the next couple weeks.

Whites are great! Tasty on the BBQ and wonderful smoked. I noticed that they often have more 'slime' on their skin so I am extra careful during preparation to remove any slime and to avoid contact with the meat. The fishy flavor is in the slime and can contaminate the meat if your not careful. We should see more big whites moving thru Sooke in the next couple weeks.

The white taste great. I caught one on Sunday and we just had some stakes off it last night and they were very good. I agree with C.A., If you don't want it I'll take it.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

The white taste great. I caught one on Sunday and we just had some stakes off it last night and they were very good. I agree with C.A., If you don't want it I'll take it.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

this is the first time that I have heard people say that whites are better tasting! I guess I have let others bias me! lol

this is the first time that I have heard people say that whites are better tasting! I guess I have let others bias me! lol

Back