Where to find shakers in Southern Gulf Islands in Winter

Bugs

Hello All,

I am part of a research program that is studying survival of juvenile Chinook and Coho Salmon in the Strait of Georgia. As part of this program we are using hook and line to sample and tag juvenile Chinook and Coho during the winter. We are interested in locations where small (less than 35 cm or 14 inch) Chinook or Coho are abundant during the winter. These fish are abundant at many sites in the autumn... but are far more patchy from December on. I have a particular interest in finding a good Chinook site within Southern Gulf Islands, but all reports or past accounts of abundant shakers in late winter would be appreciated. Cheers, Will.

Hello All,

I am part of a research program that is studying survival of juvenile Chinook and Coho Salmon in the Strait of Georgia. As part of this program we are using hook and line to sample and tag juvenile Chinook and Coho during the winter. We are interested in locations where small (less than 35 cm or 14 inch) Chinook or Coho are abundant during the winter. These fish are abundant at many sites in the autumn... but are far more patchy from December on. I have a particular interest in finding a good Chinook site within Southern Gulf Islands, but all reports or past accounts of abundant shakers in late winter would be appreciated. Cheers, Will.
Hey Will, I've had good luck catching a bunch of shaker Chinooks in between Mandarte and Sidney Island in the winter time.

Back