What is in your boat?

Sitkaspruce

So, after reading the MR2-3 post and doing a bit of a search on the site, I am curious....

Is the expensive stuff that much better than the "Cheaper" stuff. Is an Islander that much better than a shimano?, a GLoomis or Lamiglas better than a Trophy XL/Fenwick?, Maxim UG better than other lines.

What do you fish with and why??

Me I have Shimano and Daiwa Reels, Lamiglas and Berckley rods and Maxima UG and PP line. Most were either given to me or I bought on sale, except the UG which I have fished with for 20+ years. Right now I just cannot justify the extra costs for some gear that will not catch any more fish than what I already have.

Cheers

SS

try using the same gear for 60 days straight, year after year.
you would then see the difference. Its like comparing snap on tools to craftsman.

Once you play a fish on an Islander you'll never want to go back!!!

Daiwa saltwater series 10'6 mooching rod and M-1plus combo.130$ at Island Outfitters.Not the best quality but works very well and am quite pleased with the improvement over an M-1 with regards to reel drag.
Would I use a Gloomis with an Islander reel?Hell yeah!Can I afford a Gloomis with an Islander reel?Hell no!

IMO it's the operator that makes the difference,not the gear.

I run a bit of the old with the new in my operation...
I can't seem to shake the love affair with my Hardy Longstones as reels...the sound out of those babies is still music to my ears each morning...
I have been using Rogue Rods out of Oregan for the last three years and they are by far the best rod I've ever used...
I know some of you might think I'm just promoting them because I'm on the pro-staff but they simply are the best...
I use the SMBW 1208C-2 CH and the SMBW 1068C-2 CH models and one thing that they have that is most unique is the Canadian Handle....
The Handle is graphite at the butt from the reel down so it won't where out like cork and it easily comes out of the holder...trust me...they are fantastic...
They have a lifetime warranty as well...
As far as line goes...P-Line is my new baby for sure...awesome not strength and seems more durable overall.
I just use power-pro or tuff line on my bottom rods...both seem pretty good.

My personal rod is a Fenwick HMX 10.5' with Shimano 2000 reel. (Soon to be an Islander) I also have 21 other rods including old gear, steelhead rods, hali rods, trout rods, fly rods... Don't tell my wife!

I have the pleasure of using Fenwick and Shimano rods with Islander MR2 Reels on the other boat that I fish from.

I have come a long way from the gear on my first boat 20 years ago where I used 1 manual, small spool scotty downrigger with 2 lines stacked on it. The rods back then were no name brands with hand me down Peetz reels from my grandfather.

Do my new rods help me catch more fish? No.
Is it way nicer playing fish? Hell ya!
(not to mention durability)

Tips

My baby is a Fenwick, HMX, 10.5 with an Islander MR2, and then a wide variety from a Shimano 4000 with on an Ugly Stick, to a couple Penns on HDR's and a couple I can't think of off hand..

I don't expect to catch more fish with the expensive stuff but you can tell a difference when playing a fish and a good rod can make a difference on holding onto a fish and the reel makes or breaks the experience..

What this is really about is, excuse the phrase, diminishing marginal utility (an economic term for decreasing satisfaction or value obtained from every dollar spent on a similiar item). I think the best value is something like a Shimano Convergence/Technium, or a rod of similiar quality and cost, and a Shimano 2000/4000 reel. Anything above that price point offers less value for the increasing dollars spent. Do you get 5 times more value out of a MR3 than a Shimano 2000 since the price is 5 to 1. The answer is a personal one, for me it's no. Don't get me wrong, I would like to own a Sage or Loomis rod and a MR3, however, I would rather put it into something else that would bring greater value to me and my family.

I fish cheap gear and abuse it very hard all summer. Daiwa reels i broke seat off one this summer playing a fish but it was old and got its use. No complaints about it. Also started fishing a J.W 4in windex that screams like a longstone.Like richmake said its fun just to listen to. That said if i had the money i would upgrade for sure to islanders and quality rods.

New to the game but started off with some good gear. I figure it is cheaper to buy it once..... Two Shimano Technium 10.6 foot mooching rods with Islander MR2 AR reels. I also bought an 11 foot Sage with an MR3 as a back up but it hasn't been in the chuck yet.... For Halibut I got two 6.6 foot Shimano Trevelas with Shimano TLD 20,s filled with 80 lb. Power Pro line. So far, so good. I am very pleased with the gear however, largest salmon last year was 29 lbs. and largest Halibut 45 lbs. Some REAL big fish should confirm if I made the right choices........ maybe this year. :) SS

IMHO when it comes to the chance at a Trophy fiesty Tyee once in a lifetime Slab be prepared!! To much time and effort to get that chance and then lose that chance to a poor drag or not enough back-bone on the rod!!Sometimes you get away with a willow stick and a saftey pin!! Not me (learned the hard way)MR-2, 30 lb main,40-50 leader depending on lure or bait 10'6 at least med to heavy rod.I feel good gear is the key to getting a great fish to hand in a tight fishing situation when a great fish is hard to come by!!!I learned the hard way and have seen great fish not brought to hand because of it many many times!!Guess that is whay we call it fishing and not catching!!

Like Kronic said. Why take the chance.Some of us could land a fish with a wilow stick and safety pin, but why take a chance on the fish of a lifetime. MR 2 for a real smooth drag, not jerky/graby like the shimanos and diawas etc. For the real newbies or some of the ladies I put out the ARMR 2's, not as much fun but they're fool proof.
Tight lines

B.S., anybody with an ounce of experience could play a salmon
on a Shimano,a Daiwa, or even a Peetz reel.
The whole Islander thing is sheer snobbery...
How can less than a pound of machined aluminum be worth $600.00 ???
And yes, i have used an MR2.

Just my opinion:D

now i have to laugh, craven you put peetz last, i have used nothing but a peetz till just recently, and still do like em except they are a bit heavy, but i will tell you when you loosen the drag on a big fish, look out, i know how the term knukle buster came about, i have used peetz since i was a kid and know how to use em, but not too long ago i hooked in to a 33lb spring who was not happy about the whole situation, and lets just say it is a good thing i got big fat fingers[:p], i actually bent the one handle with my knukles, anyways i think i agree with you craven, you dont need a 600 reel to land the big ones, but they are nicer, sorry for the babble

Ah yes,

Sure hard to beat the old Peetz with the steel line and a 2# ball. When a hog would turn and run your knuckles would tell you with no strech in the wire, Now that was real fishing that i will never forget.:D Now it hangs in my fishing den on the wall as a display. I do still pull my old 4" "Feeder Spring" engraved Peetz out for the odd winter though.

We use 10'6" rods, 2-Shimano Technium, 2-Shimano Convergence, 1-TFO,Temple Fork Outfitters, 1-Fenwick hmx, 1-peetz custom Lamiglass noodle 13' and shimano2000&4000,daiwa m-1,silex and 4" peetz reels.A few of my friends bring along islander reels w/dif rods. We just try to enjoy the experience, company and the fish are a bonus! Not everyone gets to do this!;)

quote:B.S., anybody with an ounce of experience could play a salmon
on a Shimano,a Daiwa, or even a Peetz reel.
The whole Islander thing is sheer snobbery...
How can less than a pound of machined aluminum be worth $600.00 ???
And yes, i have used an MR2.

Just my opinion

I don't think its snobbery just that some people enjoy the finer things in life and enjoy owning the best...

When clients are paying huge $$$ for a fishing experience and they have little or no fish playing experience and fish are getting harder to find.I need to have things running smooth to get a good fish to the boat.Thrill of victory or agony of defeat for young kids and inexperienced people with one or two kicks at the can quite often depends on Quality gear and the stars lined up perfectly.I have no control over the stars but I put my tip $$$ into two lightly Used Islanders last season and landing success went up because of it and so did the tips;)and man they sure are puuurtyyy!!!!
Image.jpg
[/img]
Tightlines Kronic

Love the pic kronic,, and your explanation pretty much sums it all up its all the proof I need to run quality gear..

Back