What do you use to protect plugs.

TheBigGuy

Just curious if guys have any tips for storing your favorite plugs in your tackle boxs so they don't get beat up. I have a fairly sizable plug collection, and I am a certifiable tackle junkie. I always stuff way too much tackle on the boat. Many plugs end up rattling around in the bottom of tackle boxs and the finish takes a beating sometimes. I have some nice Lucky Louies and I hate to see them get trashed (unless it's by a fish). I tried carrying them in separate plano trays last summer, but they still rattle around inside and wear the finish. Do you have any tricks that you use to protect the finish on your favorite plugs?

Big Guy

Do you find you use them much? Its weird, i pulled out all my plaino boxes today and was cleaning all the gear and wondered when i opened my plug box, do guys still use them? The last time i used them was on a trip up to China Creek years ago with my dad. We hammered them all day long and kept some huge slabs, though over the years have mostly went over to chovies. Sorry to hijack your post,I just keep all the hooks off mine and keep them in the plaino boxes and they have held up bery well. I did notice a commercial guy a few years ago just grabbed them out of a box all beat up and he had no problem filling the boat>

[8D][8D]

cheers

HPIM1274-1.jpg

Nope we never use them anymore we just...um collect them as nostalgic memorabilia.
So ah, that being said if you had any that used to work real good for you, being an avid collector I'd be happy to take them off your hands. :D
----
All sarcasm aside, of course you can still use them and YES lots of us still do.

Yes I still use them, mostly on the west coast. I also use plugs a lot freshwater fishing. My old Lucky Louies salmon plugs are some of my best for catching large Lakers. Wooden Lyman plugs (made in Kelowna) have also caught me many large tout. I mostly use Tomic plugs on the west coast, as do lots of other fishers.

Big plugs are my # 1 go to when fishing the West Coast. We got to fish with Tom Moss a few times and he sold me on plugs. Nothing like catching springs on plugs. No mess, no having to check when you miss a slight hit and a lot easier fish.

Not so much on the inside as an out side lure for springs.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

hmmmmmm. you have me thinking now. what numbers work well

I have these
602 glow

I remember the 602 working well

HPIM1274-1.jpg

Wrap them in a piece of paper towel, or a napkin with an elastic band. It keeps them from getting scratched up and they still fit in your tackle box.

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

Wrap them in a piece of paper towel, or a napkin with an elastic band. It keeps them from getting scratched up and they still fit in your tackle box.

Thanks adrianna.

So simple yet takes up no extra space. Sometimes it just takes someone else to point out such a simple solution. Some of the Lucky Louies on Ebay go for hundreds of dollars. I won't pay those dollars but they are still pricey. I don't buy them to collect, I buy them to fish. These plugs are very old now and the paint gets worn off easily.
There really is no substitute for tradition, and the plugs are works of art in there own right. That is why they have become so collectible.

When I used to fish commercially, we used to buy 'em by the box. They are good for storage. You could contact Tomic and see if they might part with a few. Can't be that expensive. And remember to take off the hook when your done fishing to keep scratches to a minimum.

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy
So simple yet takes up no extra space.

...it paid off with a high 30's off the entrance to Silva bay on Gabriola. 259ft in 300ft of water...took a six inch Tomic.

Maybe I was a little hasty in dismissing your bucket setup. Now me thinks your bucket idea is skookum. As a matter of fact I think you should include close up pics of the entire rig (including all plugs). Make sure that you really focus in on the 3 numbers stamped on the lips of the plugs (just for clarity purposes of course). Also you should maybe get a macro lens to show the fine details as to how all plugs are rigged and how neatly they fit in the bucket. This info is required strictly for understanding your plug storage containment system (of course) :D.:D;)

Big Guy,

I think the scientific approach is he best way to get what is required. As we all know, nothing that is said on here would ever be taken and used for someones gain!!!!!

[8D][8D]cheers

HPIM1274-1.jpg

BigGuy, I use the spinnerbait boxes for plugs I'm using this week, just hang the plugs like they were spinnerbaits. For storage you could go to a glass shop & scrounge some empty boxes with the dividers (like wine boxes). You can get them with the slots just about the right size for Tomics & Tubbies and similar... Or, wrap, hook-free, in paper towel:D

I remove the hooks from all K-14 & smaller plugs & all spoons, because in the rivers you can only use singles. I pre-rig the hooks on Norman Clips, and the plugs just go into the Plano, hook-free & damage-free. Pull the plug de cast or de troll, clip on the hook of choice and go. Why I like those clips is the hook gap alignment is correct and the wire's a bit thinner. three sizes. For salmon, the Musky-size is right. If the hook was split-ringed to a swivel, I might use a McMahon if the hook's a siwash or larger treble... stronger clips, as long as the hook-eye fits loose on the McMahon's thick wire.

With both clips, pre-rig the hooks at home because you have to force the hook into the "wrong" end to get it dangling well due to that being the single wire end.

Since I ran out of Normans, I started using 80# braid loops. String the hook, triple surgeon knot which allows a short loop. Then line through lure eyelet, hook through loop & done. Easy to reverse & strip the hook off later. I've straightened 3/0 octopus hooks in the rocks, so I know the knot doesn't fail.

Back