Do you protect your organ on the boat

RODNREEL

Your epiderms is your biggest organ and with skin cancer on the rise I'm just wondering what if anything your doing to protect yourself ?
Do you wear a hat,long sleeve shirt or sun block. I've worked outside all my life and my organ has taken a beating, so I use all of the above.
I am concerned about scent transfer to my gear, so I apply sun block before leaving the house and then wash my hands.
I don't know if the smell would make a difference or not.
I hope the title wasn't misleading ;)

Your epiderms is your biggest organ and with skin cancer on the rise I'm just wondering what if anything your doing to protect yourself ?
Do you wear a hat,long sleeve shirt or sun block. I've worked outside all my life and my organ has taken a beating, so I use all of the above.
I am concerned about scent transfer to my gear, so I apply sun block before leaving the house and then wash my hands.
I don't know if the smell would make a difference or not.
I hope the title wasn't misleading ;)

I do all of the above. Buy the natural stuff at a bit higher price fron london drugs and you won’t have to worry about the scent too much. Wash your hands in salt water and all the scent will be gone quickly. Just renew more frequently.
Too much uv can literally kill you.

Not really, I wear a cap thats about it and sunglasses on a bright day.

Me too. I know far too many people who have had Skin Cancer not to heed the warnings. It's to the point with us, that we can go to Mexico and hardly anyone can tell.

Always. I've been using Columbia SPF shirts & pants for a couple years now and it definitely helps. Some come with hoods which help provide extra protection for the neck/ears, or else I run a neck gaiter pulled up. I throw on SPF 60 on any exposed parts of skin before I leave home in the morning, and I'll reapply out there. I'll use a pair of latex or rubber gloves when I reapply screen out there, then I'll just toss them in the garbage. Don't wanna get that stuff on the rods/gear. Also, use polarized glasses out there as well. Protects your eyes better than normal glasses and it'll help you see the water better.

I do all of the above. Buy the natural stuff at a bit higher price fron london drugs and you won’t have to worry about the scent too much. Wash your hands in salt water and all the scent will be gone quickly. Just renew more frequently.
Too much uv can literally kill you.
Any idea what the name of the nature stuff is ?
Some of that stuff is like smearing on peanut butter.

This has worked very well for us so far:

https://www.londondrugs.com/aveeno-...unscreen-lotion---spf-50---88ml/L6851059.html

It’s mineral based, scent free and oil free meaning it won’t ruin your seat covers but also evaporates pretty quickly. So, I usually renew every 2-3hours and wash my hand in the ocean water. When I have the kids with me, we can easy go through a full tube in 2-3 trips.

Regular synthetic stuff last linger but it can ruin the vinyl seat covers and I find the scent just too much.

Last edited:
Brians the stronget organ and the weekest organ of the body .Take care of your brian .starten to think I want to were a bandana/balaclava over my face while in direct sun.and those straw hats are a perfect fit.

Haven't done the sunscreen but I need too. My dad has had three chunks carved off his face over the years and has skin like shoe leather, I'm sure its just a matter of time till I get the knife. Lilly white Irish skin and sun don't mix.

Talking to an oncologist a few years ago, she said the amount of UV pollution that you get exposed to, can cause carcinogens to accumulate in your body which over time can cause cancer in other organs. So, it’s not just the risk of skin cancer that you’d be mitigating.

Be sun smart folks! :)

Always. I've been using Columbia SPF shirts & pants for a couple years now and it definitely helps. Some come with hoods which help provide extra protection for the neck/ears, or else I run a neck gaiter pulled up. I throw on SPF 60 on any exposed parts of skin before I leave home in the morning, and I'll reapply out there. I'll use a pair of latex or rubber gloves when I reapply screen out there, then I'll just toss them in the garbage. Don't wanna get that stuff on the rods/gear. Also, use polarized glasses out there as well. Protects your eyes better than normal glasses and it'll help you see the water better.
This^^^ I do exactly the same thing.Great minds think alike N2013!!;)

This has worked very well for us so far:

https://www.londondrugs.com/aveeno-...unscreen-lotion---spf-50---88ml/L6851059.html

It’s mineral based, scent free and oil free meaning it won’t ruin your seat covers but also evaporates pretty quickly. So, I usually renew every 2-3hours and wash my hand in the ocean water. When I have the kids with me, we can easy go through a full tube in 2-3 trips.

Regular synthetic stuff last linger but it can ruin the vinyl seat covers and I find the scent just too much.
Thank you.
I'll give this stuff a try.

Brians the stronget organ and the weekest organ of the body .Take care of your brian .starten to think I want to were a bandana/balaclava over my face while in direct sun.and those straw hats are a perfect fit.
thank you !

I have polarised windows. It makes a big difference and keeps the cabin much cooler.I think you can get aftermarket tinting , but never did a install. usual sunscreen , quality glasses and hat.

Brian

Back