West Coast Fishing Guide Association Meeting

Fish4all - my hat is off to you as an independent who fishes all your quota. I'm not at all for an ITQ system as presently administered. Real fishermen like you should be able to participate fully. Those who are not fishing should lose the quota - it should not be bought and sold. Simply there needs to be an allocation based on use, and allocated within the fleet at no cost from DFO other than a license fee. That way real fishermen like you don't have to buy quota and become less profitable in the process.

We both agree on the IPHC - there is no conservation issue - this is a managed fishery. There will be plenty of fish in 3 years; size is the issue not abundance. As you can guess, I'm not at all for setting a quota for the recreational sector that severely restricts access by the public to a publicly owned resource - that is just morally wrong.

I'm also not buying your split the recreational fishing sector sub plot on here. Nice tactic, unfortunately some are buying into it and not discerning the true meaning of your effort. A sports angler is just that, regardless of how they get on the water.

One day we will get this mess sorted out, I just hope it doesn't have to take place in a court room.

we are trying to look out for canadians first but there are more than just canadians that visit us and provide an economic boost....lmao yer hilarious...if the commies didnt ship the majority of their catch out of this country then we WOULD be able to take care of all canadians....holmes*

That argument is kinda hollow Holmes.... We are an exporting nation, that's how we get our dollars. We take public resources like fish, minerals, oil, automobiles and we ship them out of the country in exchange for dollars. What is so special about halibut that they should only be reserved for Canadians?

Also if the commies get less quota and some of the Halibut don't get shipped out of the country, then the lodges will have more quota so that they can sell fishing trips to foreigners, who will ship the halibut out of the country.... No different..... that's why that argument is hollow.

That argument is kinda hollow Holmes.... We are an exporting nation, that's how we get our dollars. We take public resources like fish, minerals, oil, automobiles and we ship them out of the country in exchange for dollars. What is so special about halibut that they should only be reserved for Canadians?

Also if the commies get less quota and some of the Halibut don't get shipped out of the country, then the lodges will have more quota so that they can sell fishing trips to foreigners, who will ship the halibut out of the country.... No different..... that's why that argument is hollow.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ and JOB"S and for Lodge's Quota its not Lodge's Quota its THE PEOPLE OF CANADA AND FUTURE GENERATIONS FISH.. This has to stop us thinking of NOW how about the Future Generations and the Canadian's just about to retire from working all their lifes looking forward to moving to BC to fish. NOT ALL CANADIAN'S WANT TO GOLF...Future Generation's the kid's that have not be BORN YET, How about them they have the same right's as me or any of you to have the same opportunities to go fishing.. This is the Responsibility of GOVERNMENT to protect these rights, they are NOT at this time Protecting Fishing OR Our Rights.. Sorry alwaysfishn not screaming at you just Raving Im pissed.

Whats so special..... well lets think about our oil export. Let's say you go to the gas station at the end of August and they tell you sorry bud, got none left we had to ship the rest to export markets so that non-Canadians could fill thier tanks. Get the point?

90 to 95% of the lodges guest are Canadians. They don't ship it out of Canada they feed there familys with it. Oh and most come from right here in BC.

GLG

Whats so special..... well lets think about our oil export. Let's say you go to the gas station at the end of August and they tell you sorry bud, got none left we had to ship the rest to export markets so that non-Canadians could fill thier tanks. Get the point?

90 to 95% of the lodges guest are Canadians. They don't ship it out of Canada they feed there familys with it. Oh and most come from right here in BC.

GLG

The last diesel shortage/price increase was based on just that.
The oil companies, had to maintain their export agreements, which meant the only true shortage was to us.

Nice twist to the argument... :) That's unlikely to happen because we have lots of oil. The point is we export most of our (publicly owned) resources. Why should halibut be excluded.

GLG

So you are saying it would be ok for the Commies to export 10% of the halibut they catch?... seeing no one is complaining about the halibut that the lodges export.

I'm not saying the sporties shouldn't be entitled to a larger share, just that arguments like the halibut are public property so they shouldn't be exported.... expect for maybe 10%.... makes the argument sound a little silly. .....just sayin.

The last diesel shortage/price increase was based on just that.
The oil companies, had to maintain their export agreements, which meant the only true shortage was to us.

Your facts may be a little off..... The problem with diesel prices is that the consumption in Canada has exceeded the production capabilities of the Canadian refineries. Basic supply demand issue.

Matt, You are my friend so don't take any of this personally as its not meant to be but holy fack does this have me fired up! By suggesting that we should take a slot or a lower limit later on is ludacris. And only really benefits guides and lodges. We should be making no concesaions. Joe blow angler that really wants a hali or 3 wil go get it before the season is shut down. This once again proves to me its all about money. And has always been about to 2 commercial sectors fighting over the pie while the normal rec angler is left in the middle trying to do what's right. And to me what's right is becoming grayer everyday with moves like this. IMO If you promote the idea of a lowered catch after August and a slot limit to me you have ***** slapped the thousands of anglers that wrote letters and went to meetings because that only benefits a select few (sound familar). The guides and lodges. To suggest that 300,000 rec anglers should take a slot and have a lower limit later so you can book more trips is ******** IMO. If the guides and lodges want to make a statement fish pass the closing! Tell the dfo to take their quota system and shove it! Get off your wallets and sue someone. Do anything else besides this. You want the divide that everyone fears between our sector ? This is a great way to start.

Disclaimer. This is only my opinion and as usual is probably not going to be a popular one. :)

Agree totally with you Lorne
The guide sector asking for a 1/1 limit or slot sizes only benifits lodges/guides and is a slap in the face to the rec fisherman
Dont open the season until May 01 then, then we can all fish the 1/2 limits

We do not need to be taking any more limitations or restrictions on our fishing to the benefit of a few.

I don't advocate to stop all exports but I do think that it is wrong to export our Canadian resource when not all Canadians needs have been meet. After all we have 70 to 75 % of the total Canadian TAC leaving the country to feed the restaurant trade outside of our country. Wrong on so many levels.
GLG

Considering that the bulk of the rec fish is coming from the north where guests
Fly in direct without setting foot in a town I would say that supporting the small
Communities is crap. When was the last time you visited Prince Rupert or Hardy?
Those towns are screwed and I doubt the odd charter will change that.

I am dead against trying to extend the season to accommodate the guides. What about the rest of us? They are a business. Let them work out a proper business plan. If that includes leasing commercial fish for their commercial operations then deal with it.

here we go,, divide and conquer is happening... if we all agreed on not accepting what is being done and ALL protest fish when the time comes, maybe the dfo will understand that we are staying together on this. nobody nor any group should make any decisions based on what area of rec fishing they come from....

Last edited by a moderator:
Your facts may be a little off..... The problem with diesel prices is that the consumption in Canada has exceeded the production capabilities of the Canadian refineries. Basic supply demand issue.
Not off at all, I live right down the road from the refinery, have friends that work in the shipping department and work in the industry myself. I know FOR a FACT, that the Suncore (PetroCan) facility in Sherwood Park was still shipping tankers full of diesel south when we were looking at a shortage at their gas bars!

Considering that the bulk of the rec fish is coming from the north where guests
Fly in direct without setting foot in a town I would say that supporting the small
Communities is crap. When was the last time you visited Prince Rupert or Hardy?
Those towns are screwed and I doubt the odd charter will change that.

wow,, you are very mis informed,, fuel delivery, people delivery, food delivery,supplies etc, staff etc etc all support local economies and no the lodges are not all from the north.. not the odd charter. duh,, june til sept fully booked is not the odd charter. lodges are all over the island on both sides and right through the central coast...

here we go,, divide and conquer is happening... if we all agreed on not accepting what is being done and ALL protest fish when the time comes, maybe the dfo will understand that we are staying together on this. nobody nor any group should make any decisions based on what area of rec fishing they come from....

Agreeed blair! Holy cow what a breathe of fresh air! Most G/O wont protest fish because the season will hopefully be extended by this ******** to spet 1st. Why is sept first so important? well i know you know, but for the people that dont most guides are pretty much wrapped up by then. How can this Recommendation not divide us? It was a recommendation from a guide assoc. for guides and outfitters. Its my understanding for the most part that a decision will be made today (or at least the recommendation will be presented to the dfo), and the recommendation is for 1 and 1 and a slot. How many rec anglers were consulted on that? Not one that i know of......

Last edited by a moderator:
leasing fish from the commies IS NOT EVEN AN OPTION FOR ANYONE, PERIOD!....as ive already stated, extending the season by whatever means or actions IS NOT ONLY for guides and lodges, who uses those guides and lodges????.....THAT'S RIGHT.....THE REC FISHERMEN....geeez, why cant ppl realize this?.....holmes*

I agree holmes, not every rec fisherman is getting screwed here if this passes. The guys that have the money to hire a guide arent. But the regular Do-it-yourself angler, which most of us are, are getting big time in the bum with no lube. And the not so funny thing as i have been eluding too is the prescendence this will set due to this action will be irreverisible i think. Not forsure, that is speculation, but as someone else mentioned, the government isnt usually a big fan of implementing something then taking it away. I feel so defeated man! I feel like i just caught my wife in bed with the brother that i hate.

I have to say I'm an avid sport fisherman, grew up on the island and fished these waters for the past 22 years. I don't support either of the proposed changes.

When I go out fishing this summer, a trip that involves halibut fishing will almost always be a 2 day trip. If you are going to the cost of planning a weekend halibut trip I'd rather do it earlier in the season and keep two then later in the season and keep one for the same expense. So I would think it will be for the rest of the sport fisherman that can't fish for halibut economically in a single day trip.

Halibut will be more important this season than recent years for guides/lodges and sport fisherman. The sockeye run is expected to be smaller than the past 3 years, there is no pink run and the slot limits and proposed closures for chinook make it much less appealing to spend 600 bucks on a weekend fishing trip. I wonder if you succeed in changing the halibut limit to 1-1 if you will see LESS business with a longer season then you would see if it was 1-2 and a shorter season?

Holmes,
The guides and lodges are business's that make their living from fishing.
While i respect their right to fish for their livelihood's , it's the individual sport fisherman
who gets screwed on this deal.
The guys that works all week looking for a chance to get out on the weekend and catch a fish.
Open the season for 1/day & 2/ possession , no size limit and let the chips fall where they may.
When they decide to close it, we've at least had an opportunity.

What a friggin mess.
Nobody is going to be happy with what the final numbers.
1 and 1 longer season
1 and 2 shorter season
I think the guys from our sector that have to make a recommendation to DFO are in a bad place.

I for one would like the short season BUT if it comes out 1 and 1, I will direct my anger to the head of DFO.
The guys that have to make this recommendation are not the bad guys.
They are just like you and me,they have to weigh all Canadians needs and use there best judgement.
Another point that needs to be made is the final decision is up to DFO.

I see it going to 1 and 1 so more people have a chance to catch a least one fish.
At least from mid June till late August, then if we have room on the TAC back to 1 and 2

What a friggin mess
GLG

Hey Craven l respect what you are trying to say but the people I take out are just like you, they work all week just like you , they want to go catch some fish on there days off just like you, the only difference is you have a boat and they don't. So they get me to take them out . No difference at all .

Back