West Coast Fishing Guide Association Meeting

No, you should begin to fight.
That means money and time.
And yes it will mean going to court.

Perhaps we should all just give up... ??

I support the idea of playing with the numbers so to speak so that there can be a halibut season all summer long. August is probably the nicest and safest time to be out targeting halis for most any way. I agree that DFO will not offer up any more pounds, nor will extend the season. I believe that we're stuck with the pounds and I for one would like to see everyone have the opportunity to get halibut all sumer long.

Matt, You are my friend so don't take any of this personally as its not meant to be but holy fack does this have me fired up! By suggesting that we should take a slot or a lower limit later on is ludacris. And only really benefits guides and lodges. We should be making no concesaions. Joe blow angler that really wants a hali or 3 wil go get it before the season is shut down. This once again proves to me its all about money. And has always been about to 2 commercial sectors fighting over the pie while the normal rec angler is left in the middle trying to do what's right. And to me what's right is becoming grayer everyday with moves like this. IMO If you promote the idea of a lowered catch after August and a slot limit to me you have ***** slapped the thousands of anglers that wrote letters and went to meetings because that only benefits a select few (sound familar). The guides and lodges. To suggest that 300,000 rec anglers should take a slot and have a lower limit later so you can book more trips is ******** IMO. If the guides and lodges want to make a statement fish pass the closing! Tell the dfo to take their quota system and shove it! Get off your wallets and sue someone. Do anything else besides this. You want the divide that everyone fears between our sector ? This is a great way to start.

Disclaimer. This is only my opinion and as usual is probably not going to be a popular one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And only really benefits guides and lodges. This once again proves to me its all about money. And has always been about to 2 commercial sectors fighting over the pie while the normal rec angler is left in the middle trying to do what's right.

you just figured this out........ and you called me slow lmao.

So I spend quite a few weekends during June to September traveling to the west coast, dragging my boat and gear and bringing home what used to be 3 halibut and lately has been 2 halibut, if I was lucky enough to catch them. And now supposedly my own fellow anglers, or taxi drivers as they like to be called want to voluntarily lower my possession limit so I can only bring home 1 halibut. say it ain't so, don't make me agree with Lorne, you can't make me, hey I spend money too you guys.

pretty sure i got the jest of the post. This fight has always been about the guides. look at the reps Martin P(oak bay), Rob A(tackle supplier), Gerry K(affilliated with oak bay)..... so who is looking after the little guy, you holmes???

Fish4all who are you looking out for?
The slipper skippers, you know the guys down south hiding from the winter.
Perhaps you are sticking up for the foreign markets, you know the fancy restaurants.
Could it be Jimmy P. your boss and the rest of his employees.
2012HalibutAllocation.jpg

GLG

you just figured this out........ and you called me slow lmao.

I called you slow because you said we should shut the rec sector down completey while we figure it out. Which is retarded. And yes i always new that it was all about what is mentioned above. However i figured it was in everyones best interest and to tow the line to achieve a desired result. Now it doesnt seem to me that everyone has the same objective. Sure maybe in the long term. But the short term actions of some if i am understanding what i am reading will be detremental to the long term success and we are very much not on the same page anymore.

Matt, You are my friend so don't take any of this personally as its not meant to be but holy fack does this have me fired up! By suggesting that we should take a slot or a lower limit later on is ludacris. And only really benefits guides and lodges. We should be making no concesaions. Joe blow angler that really wants a hali or 3 wil go get it before the season is shut down. This once again proves to me its all about money. And has always been about to 2 commercial sectors fighting over the pie while the normal rec angler is left in the middle trying to do what's right. And to me what's right is becoming grayer everyday with moves like this. IMO If you promote the idea of a lowered catch after August and a slot limit to me you have ***** slapped the thousands of anglers that wrote letters and went to meetings because that only benefits a select few (sound familar). The guides and lodges. To suggest that 300,000 rec anglers should take a slot and have a lower limit later so you can book more trips is ******** IMO. If the guides and lodges want to make a statement fish pass the closing! Tell the dfo to take their quota system and shove it! Get off your wallets and sue someone. Do anything else besides this. You want the divide that everyone fears between our sector ? This is a great way to start.

Disclaimer. This is only my opinion and as usual is probably not going to be a popular one. :)

It's not just your opinion!!!

"This once again proves to me its all about money. And has always been about to 2 commercial sectors fighting over the pie while the normal rec angler is left in the middle trying to do what's right."

Whenever you attach $$$ to a resource those harvesting it are usually more motivated
than those doing it for sport and food only.
I agree , the average guy with a boat and a fishing rod gets the shaft here.

some one asked earlier, who would go out for 1 halibut ? The answer is more than would for none. when it closes in beginning of Aug, it is a big lose lose for lodges guides and sporties. All the little comunities, tackel stores marinas etc. will all suffer this August because there will be NO HALIBUT fishing! It will be a nice little blow to the small local economies. Yes I am a guide and I rely Highly on sport fisherman and tourists to hire me to catch and often learn to catch their own halibut. Its part of the whole deal. There is a working slot restriction on salmon that allows us to fish in shore all season long in most places. I dont have the answers, just the opionion that I would like to have a short term, ie this season, solution looked at to have it so halibut stays open for the summer. If it does shut down to zero, I wont do it with guests on board, but you betcha, I will be out anchored up catching halibut in protest prepared to go to court catching "my" halibut. Just all you sporties dont be throwing beerbottles at my C numbered boat on your way by while I am doin it.

hell if i'm at anchor anyone wanna tie off and protest fish with me they can!!!

Ha, this year will be a fun year! IF i get cancellations due to a mid season closure and lose time on the water AND dont fill the empty spots. When my revenue generating time is over for the season, it'll be my boat on the line for this, you better bring a dingy and lots of beer for us.

Too funny Hook Tender...me thinks you won't be alone on that. Its just too bad folks can't see the benefit to them by supporting a slot limit for this season. A lot of rec anglers will be wasting their holiday time if they booked their hali trip for August unless we move to a slot limit to spread out our 2012 allocation.

Fish4all who are you looking out for?
The slipper skippers, you know the guys down south hiding from the winter.
Perhaps you are sticking up for the foreign markets, you know the fancy restaurants.
Could it be Jimmy P. your boss and the rest of his employees.
2012HalibutAllocation.jpg
GLG

GlG I know I posted this earlier:

1) not in favor of the slippers. Personaly i am all for a use it or loose it system. That being said I do feel for the older guys in the industry who had small quotas and after a 50% reduction have had to lease out there share as it is not enough to leave the dock for and use this money to make ends meet. I also feel for a few widows that I know of that are trying to make it by on the same case.

2) foreign markets are what brings new tax dollars into the country. Just like every other natural resource we have.

3)I have never and will never work for Jimmy. I am an independant fisherman trying to survive during these times of low abundance. We fish every pound we have paid for and do not enter into the lease market except to cover off non-directed species.

I did spend some time digging around the quota sheets and on the phone with Jimmy's underlings to find that they control approx 200,000 lbs of quota. The rest is owned by independants.

I called you slow because you said we should shut the rec sector down completey while we figure it out. Which is retarded. And yes i always new that it was all about what is mentioned above. However i figured it was in everyones best interest and to tow the line to achieve a desired result. Now it doesnt seem to me that everyone has the same objective. Sure maybe in the long term. But the short term actions of some if i am understanding what i am reading will be detremental to the long term success and we are very much not on the same page anymore.

Myabe retarded is a little harsh. The rec community has been stuck in there ways and have refused any form of change even as the stocks are dropping like a rock. From personal experience I can tell you that the commercial fisherman were the same and it took dfo to tell us it would not open if we did not find a reasonable solution. Today according to many different groups including IPHC we are the best managed fishery out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
i always look out for the little guy, what you are failing to realize is that the lodges and guides facilitate the little guy, are you expecting all the ppl that come from around the world to be keeping up daily on this issue?, its the guides and lodges and businesses involved with fishing AND guys like me that reside here that are sticking up for the rec sector as a whole....holmes*

From around the world..... thought we were looking after Canadians...wtf.

Back