West Coast Fishing Guide Association Meeting

David we get it. You're mad at all the associations..... Move on and figure out something constructive instead of whining about the past over and over.

I have hardly even talked about wcga before. Didnt know they were so influential until this year. This is merely pointing out trends Kelly. Have to learn from the past in order to mould the future. I think it can all be agreed that a guiding association has far too much power over key decisions that should and are supposed to be made for ALL rec anglers. I've come to terms with this year, however, I wouldn't call it whining when one points something out that you happen to disagree with. If that's the case then 90% of this board is whining, yourself included.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's irrelevant whether I agree or disagree, that's not my point. I'm saying bouncing from thread to thread trash talking about how this association screwed up or that board screwed up is getting old. Find something constructive to try and move forward.

It's irrelevant whether I agree or disagree, that's not my point. I'm saying bouncing from thread to thread trash talking about how this association screwed up or that board screwed up is getting old. Find something constructive to try and move forward.
Look who's talking.... Coming from a guy who bounces from thread to thread trashing individual people. Your bashing of people Kelly and trying to call out for stating a true points continues to make you look like you need more time in school and less time in and on the water.

Grow Up.....

For the record I'm friends with David, I just don't agree with his approach. I don't trash any other idividuals although I do call you out on being a joke...

Pm if you have anything else, avoid further trashing this thread.

Kelly,

This thread should have been left on topic. You derailed it in order attack another member. But that's how you roll.

This was and still is a great thread minus your stupid posts.....

Take the time to read it. It is always interesting reading threads from the past and seeing how it ended years later. It's really interesting to see people feeling and thoughts at the time and how thing ended up.

maybe don't make any recommendations to SFAB that screw the rest of us over. since your group is really the ones responsible for the STUPID regs now in effect.
you know like these ones....
thanks

West Coast guides Association
P.O. Box 20054
Port Alberni
V9Y 8J8

January 31, 2013
Re: Halibut Allocation Options

Martin Paish, Chair SFAB Halibut Working Group
Delivered via e-mail

Dear Martin,

I’m writing to you in my capacity as the President of the West Coast Fishing Guide’s Association. We are the largest organized Guide Association in B.C., with over 80 active members.

Our local SFAC’s did not have time to poll members to gather input on the Halibut Options Discussion Paper. The West Coast Fishing Guide’s Association was able to hold a special membership meeting today to discuss the current Halibut Allocation issues. Membership reviewed options after first identifying key priorities to guide our decision making process. We then selected the best option based on the following core values:

1. Maximum possible season protecting core months of April 1 to September 15
2. Enhancement of catch data collection to ensure the fishery can be effectively managed into the future
3. Curtail risks associated with options that change fishing effort and jeopardize the August and September fishery
4. Provide the widest possible choice of experience, and angler opportunity

After spirited debate and very careful consideration, members agreed by majority vote to support Angling Regulation options that would effectively reduce the daily sport catch with the overall objective of extending our Halibut fishing season from April 1 to September 15. We propose to work within the SFAB process and Ground Fish Working Group in partnership with the SFI to table angling regulation options to achieve this objective. Those options are:

• Option D2 – 1/2 slot with one (1) fish less than 126 cm (60 lbs), and one (1) fish less than 83 cm
• Delay season start to April 1, to allow enough buffer to protect angling opportunity for August and September
• April 1 season start also allows for proper implementation of the Halibut punch card
• Implementation of a mandatory Halibut Punch Card, requiring all halibut to be recorded capturing critical biological catch data such as date, location and exact length measurement of each fish retained. As a condition of licensing, anglers must return their punch card to DFO. No electronic licensing purchases can be made in subsequent seasons without completing an online catch log survey
• Implementation of an “experimental” annual maximum retention limit of six (6) fish in years of low abundance, which will be reviewed and increased in seasons of higher abundance
• Six (6) fish was selected as it offers anglers 3 multi-day trips at full 1/2 limits, and supports greater angler choice of experience

Our Association has tremendous respect for the SFAB process, and the individuals who work tirelessly within it on our behalf. We fully appreciate these will be extremely difficult decisions. Regardless of the outcome and decision made by the SFAB, our membership will stand behind the recommendation of the Ground Fish Working Group, and do everything in our ability to support it.

If there is anything further our Association can do to support these proposals through the process, we would be most pleased to participate.

Sincerely,

Pat Ahern
President, WCFGA

cc

Owen Bird, SFI
Rob Alcock, SFI
Gerry Kristiansen, SFAB
Marilyn Murphy, SFAB
Chuck Ashcroft, SFAB
Deryk Krefting, SFAB
Jon Pew, SFAB
Brad Beaith, DFO
Devona Adams, DFO
Bob Cole, Area 23 SFAC
Jay Mohl, Area 24 SFAC
WCFGA Members

maybe don't make any recommendations to SFAB that screw the rest of us over. since your group is really the ones responsible for the STUPID regs now in effect.
thanks

So what's your solution?
You seem to like the hit and run method on this forum.
Why don't you stand up and give us your thoughts on how to best manage the resource.
GLG

Who are you and how exactly did you get screwed over? We get to fish for for Halibut for a longer season this year and we didn't have a reduction in our overall allocation.......doesn't sound like we got screwed over at all. :)

thanks

West Coast guides Association
P.O. Box 20054
Port Alberni
V9Y 8J8

January 31, 2013
Re: Halibut Allocation Options

Martin Paish, Chair SFAB Halibut Working Group
Delivered via e-mail

Dear Martin,

I’m writing to you in my capacity as the President of the West Coast Fishing Guide’s Association. We are the largest organized Guide Association in B.C., with over 80 active members.

Our local SFAC’s did not have time to poll members to gather input on the Halibut Options Discussion Paper. The West Coast Fishing Guide’s Association was able to hold a special membership meeting today to discuss the current Halibut Allocation issues. Membership reviewed options after first identifying key priorities to guide our decision making process. We then selected the best option based on the following core values:

1. Maximum possible season protecting core months of April 1 to September 15
2. Enhancement of catch data collection to ensure the fishery can be effectively managed into the future
3. Curtail risks associated with options that change fishing effort and jeopardize the August and September fishery
4. Provide the widest possible choice of experience, and angler opportunity

After spirited debate and very careful consideration, members agreed by majority vote to support Angling Regulation options that would effectively reduce the daily sport catch with the overall objective of extending our Halibut fishing season from April 1 to September 15. We propose to work within the SFAB process and Ground Fish Working Group in partnership with the SFI to table angling regulation options to achieve this objective. Those options are:

• Option D2 – 1/2 slot with one (1) fish less than 126 cm (60 lbs), and one (1) fish less than 83 cm
• Delay season start to April 1, to allow enough buffer to protect angling opportunity for August and September
• April 1 season start also allows for proper implementation of the Halibut punch card
• Implementation of a mandatory Halibut Punch Card, requiring all halibut to be recorded capturing critical biological catch data such as date, location and exact length measurement of each fish retained. As a condition of licensing, anglers must return their punch card to DFO. No electronic licensing purchases can be made in subsequent seasons without completing an online catch log survey
• Implementation of an “experimental” annual maximum retention limit of six (6) fish in years of low abundance, which will be reviewed and increased in seasons of higher abundance
• Six (6) fish was selected as it offers anglers 3 multi-day trips at full 1/2 limits, and supports greater angler choice of experience

Our Association has tremendous respect for the SFAB process, and the individuals who work tirelessly within it on our behalf. We fully appreciate these will be extremely difficult decisions. Regardless of the outcome and decision made by the SFAB, our membership will stand behind the recommendation of the Ground Fish Working Group, and do everything in our ability to support it.

If there is anything further our Association can do to support these proposals through the process, we would be most pleased to participate.

Sincerely,

Pat Ahern
President, WCFGA

cc

Owen Bird, SFI
Rob Alcock, SFI
Gerry Kristiansen, SFAB
Marilyn Murphy, SFAB
Chuck Ashcroft, SFAB
Deryk Krefting, SFAB
Jon Pew, SFAB
Brad Beaith, DFO
Devona Adams, DFO
Bob Cole, Area 23 SFAC
Jay Mohl, Area 24 SFAC
WCFGA Members

Who are you and how exactly did you get screwed over? We get to fish for for Halibut for a longer season this year and we didn't have a reduction in our overall allocation.......doesn't sound like we got screwed over at all. :)

Not screwed over? Come on. Jesus. Everything is roses and lollipops.

Combover... you still on that two tier recreational fishermen thing?
Thought you would give that up by now.
Why don't you post that idea for us to talk about.

Back