Welded aluminum build

Thanks, I have actually seen jacksoncrafts before. Great boats. It's one of the options I'm considering, just a bit out of my budget. I love the customization Robert offers, and he seems like a great guy.
Yeah. he is a very nice fellow. Through him we got a builder price on our Suzuki's from Breaker's Marine.

It is a real act of faith to give someone you have just met a bunch of money to someone on a promise

He was building two 22 foot centre consoles side by side before our boat. They were really nice, Same hull as our boat just smaller and much lighter with no cabin

Whoever you use make take the time to ensure that the side railings are tall enough for you.

I am 6'4" and the railings are come up to over the top of my hips .

I was thinking about water ingress on our stern deck from the scuppers . We have a pod and twin 200 HP Suzuki and three Series 31 Batteries in the stern locker. If I go and stand in the corner in calm water a bit of water will slosh in from the scuppers on the first 5 or 6 inches on the corner of the deck maybe an inch deep trailing down to nothing.

We are lucky with all the choices of good builders we have on the west coast

Last edited:
Yeah. he is a very nice fellow. Through him we got a builder price on our Suzuki's from Breaker's Marine.

It is a real act of faith to give someone you have just met a bunch of money to someone on a promise

He was building two 22 foot centre consoles side by side before our boat. They were really nice, Same hull as our boat just smaller and much lighter with no cabin

Whoever you use make take the time to ensure that the side railings are tall enough for you.

I am 6'4" and the railings are come up to over the top of my hips .

I was thinking about water ingress on our stern deck from the scuppers . We have a pod and twin 200 HP Suzuki and three Series 31 Batteries in the stern locker. If I go and stand in the corner in calm water a bit of water will slosh in from the scuppers on the first 5 or 6 inches on the corner of the deck maybe an inch deep trailing down to nothing.

We are lucky with all the choices of good builders we have on the west coast
I agree, Doug's boats are top notch. I am almost reluctant to aproach him however, as I got close to purchasing one from him years ago and it ended up taking so long to get to the point where he had an opening to start my build that I'd already bought something else. I don't know if he'd want to work with me this time. I'm also afraid to ask him the cost.

Good point about the railings. I am coming from a 17' whaler, and without the railings I would have taken a bath on several occasions.

Definity consider a Jaxoncraft, Robert had a 21' CC for sale last year brand new when i picked up my Cope from him. It was a bare hull and looked amazing as it was his own design. Might be worth reaching out to him jaxcrft@telus.net

If you want to see his build quality and weld quality send me a PM, i'm out in South Surrey

Oh and cost wise, he was the BEST value for my cope build, I got quotes from all sorts of builders and he was the best plus the 30yrs of boat building sealed the deal. Keep in mind that he is the only builder that does't get his boats cut out for him. He cuts everything out himself by hand. That shows you how good he is...

Keep in mind that he is the only builder that does't get his boats cut out for him. He cuts everything out himself by hand. That shows you how good he is...
Lots of pleased customers from his builds, but how does him cutting out his own pieces by hand make a significant difference?

Lots of pleased customers from his builds, but how does him cutting out his own pieces by hand make a significant difference?
End product is the same, but it shows that he is not just a welder putting together pieces, but an actual fabricator as well.

Dick Proenneke of boat building!

I'm currently following a builder on Instagram building a 22ft center console - look up lux marine aluminum boats on Instagram. My understanding is that he worked for north west for many years and has started his own venture. The lines are very similar to north west's, its a tank of a boat. Might be worth reaching out to him on pricing.

That’s my build. We are picking it up next week. It’s a 22’ model that measures 24’ 8” bow to stern with a 8’10” beam.

Matt at Lux Marine has been amazing to work with. If interested, I can do a full build thread and walk through. We will likely be done rigging in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_4969.jpeg
    IMG_4969.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
End product is the same, but it shows that he is not just a welder putting together pieces, but an actual fabricator as well.

Dick Proenneke of boat building!

I agree totally. Being a good welder and a good boat builder are two different skill sets. I know before he got so busy he told me that he use to do the upholstery as well. He had it done by someone else on my build but they still did the paint in the interior and everything else but the wrap. A very skilled craftsman to say the least...imo

I agree totally. Being a good welder and a good boat builder are two different skill sets. I know before he got so busy he told me that he use to do the upholstery as well. He had it done by someone else on my build but they still did the paint in the interior and everything else but the wrap. A very skilled craftsman to say the least...imo

We hired Robert for our build based on ReelSlim's build thread, our face to face meeting with Robert and passing his informal " do I want to work with these folks?" interview.

We went to the island at least twice a month during our build and met with Robert. He supplied us with build photos on a regular basis and we would use him again in a heartbeat. Some builders want a lot less customer contact, that wouldn't have worked for me.

If you want something special talk about it and plan for it up front with your builder and have it included in your build contract. In our case we needed a longer V Berth, a taller cab and doorway, higher gunnels, and a list of other things.

This is the email we use for Robert jaxoncraft@gmail.com

His upholstery person does a really good job.

That’s my build. We are picking it up next week. It’s a 22’ model that measures 24’ 8” bow to stern with a 8’10” beam. I finally saw it in person this week and was shocked how big it felt.

Matt at Lux Marine has been amazing to work with. If interested, I can do a full build thread and walk through. We will likely be done rigging in a couple weeks.

If interested, I can do a full build thread and walk through.

Speaking for the Forum, the answer is yes.

That’s my build. We are picking it up next week. It’s a 22’ model that measures 24’ 8” bow to stern with a 8’10” beam. I finally saw it in person this week and was shocked how big it felt.

I'd love to see the build thread on this! Looks like a beautty

That’s my build. We are picking it up next week. It’s a 22’ model that measures 24’ 8” bow to stern with a 8’10” beam.

That boat looks sweet! I spoke with Matt, and I'm thinking of taking a look. Sounded like a functional design, the way he pushed the console forward for more rear deck space.

That boat looks sweet! I spoke with Matt, and I'm thinking of taking a look. Sounded like a functional design, the way he pushed the console forward for more rear deck space.

The boat will be in Tofino after next week if you want to see it rigged. He did a great job with the layout. The back deck has 65 inches of space between the rear facing bench and transom. My 27.5 ft Northwest has 66 inches from the deck bench to the transom.

Last edited:
Back