Welded aluminum build

submerged

I just sold my boat and I'm in the market for a new one. I'm thinking of getting an aluminum centre console by a local builder. I have toyed with the idea in the past but never followed through. I see there are previous posts similar to this, but thought I'd see if there's any new insights.

I'm considering Lifetimer, but I've read a few negatives, like the hull being narrow, and unstable, and plywood being used. I'm thinking these are probably issues from older models they don't make anymore? They seem priced well compared to the esteamed bridgeview, jackson, northwest....etc.

I was considering a 20 or 22' with self bailing. One issue I see with some welded boats, is the self bailing deck is too low, and water can get in with weight at the back. I can't find a moored Lifetimer to see how they sit.

Thanks for any recommendations

this is all about design, if you are going to get a boat built? address you concerns with them and get what you want!
22' cope design or a north west.
lets see a build thread!

I'm currently following a builder on Instagram building a 22ft center console - look up lux marine aluminum boats on Instagram. My understanding is that he worked for north west for many years and has started his own venture. The lines are very similar to north west's, its a tank of a boat. Might be worth reaching out to him on pricing.

I'm currently following a builder on Instagram building a 22ft center console - look up lux marine aluminum boats on Instagram. My understanding is that he worked for north west for many years and has started his own venture. The lines are very similar to north west's, its a tank of a boat. Might be worth reaching out to him on pricing.

Thanks. I will do that. All the Northwest boats I see look very well built.
this is all about design, if you are going to get a boat built? address you concerns with them and get what you want!
22' cope design or a north west.
lets see a build thread!
Yes, I am planning to get one built. The cope 22' design looks great. I phoned Bruce and he suggested Walker Boats, but their prices were the highest of anyone by far. I'm thinking they make a higher end boat than what I need in terms of finishings.

Thanks. I will do that. All the Northwest boats I see look very well built.

Yes, I am planning to get one built. The cope 22' design looks great. I phoned Bruce and he suggested Walker Boats, but their prices were the highest of anyone by far. I'm thinking they make a higher end boat than what I need in terms of finishings.
try E&D in arrowsmith

I just sold my boat and I'm in the market for a new one. I'm thinking of getting an aluminum centre console by a local builder. I have toyed with the idea in the past but never followed through. I see there are previous posts similar to this, but thought I'd see if there's any new insights.

I'm considering Lifetimer, but I've read a few negatives, like the hull being narrow, and unstable, and plywood being used. I'm thinking these are probably issues from older models they don't make anymore? They seem priced well compared to the esteamed bridgeview, jackson, northwest....etc.

I was considering a 20 or 22' with self bailing. One issue I see with some welded boats, is the self bailing deck is too low, and water can get in with weight at the back. I can't find a moored Lifetimer to see how they sit.

Thanks for any recommendations

I looked at them when I was ready to have one built. They were going to stretch their 24’ to 26’ to make up for the lost deck space with the euro style transom. They were easy to chat with until I questioned their quote on power and they literally ghosted me. Everything happens for a reason and been happy with my boat to say the least.

Their hulls look like a nice ride when travelling but any I’ve seen lean a lot and seem to be very weight sensitive at the dock or docking.

Also In their CC the flotation chambers they put at the transom eats a lot of space unless they changed the design. I always liked the lines of their cabin style boats.

As far as aluminum boats sitting too low and water coming in…..well that’s just poor design no way to sugar coat it….lol. A properly designed hull and especially if it’s podded and this should never happen….imo

Most self bailing boats with a directional cover over the outlet will bring water into the boat when in reverse and charging down a fish or trying to unsnag a line or cannonball though. I wouldn't overthink this part.

A CC build thread would be nice to see. What about a Bridgeview 22? There was a used Jaxoncraft CC on Marketplace for awhile.

Depending on the length you are looking for, I'd suggest talking to the guys at Bridgeview. They make a phenomenal 18 and 22 ft centre console with self bailing deck. If you want to see one in the wild, there is an 18 moored at Burrard Civic right near the coast guard station - easily visible from shore. I talked to Bridgeview at the boat show 2 years ago, and these going in the range of $100k (and they don't build them very often). Another alternative is a Silver Streak 20' Haida or maybe the 18'6" Challenger centre console.

I think if you talk to a bunch of builders, they will warn you that the smaller 20ft centre consoles (typically 18ft interior + 2ft hull extension), are hard to do as self bailing and guarantee it to be 100% dry all the time. I have a Jasper Marine center console in this size range - it is self bailing with two ping-pong ball scuppers at the transom. At rest with a few people in the back, I get maybe a 1/2" of water around the scuppers - but pretty minimal. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Remember, to make a boat self bailing the builder is creating a sealed chamber under the floor. They can increase the volume/flotation of this chamber by raising the floor, but then you have to raise the sides as well. Sometime you will see self bailing boats where the floor is surprisingly high, and the side are disconcertingly low. The real art of the self bailing deck is seeing how everything is sealed, how the controls wiring / fuel lines are done, and whether water can get trapped in any of the interior compartments. I'd say its hard to tell what you've got until you've lived with it for some time.

Last edited:
Depending on the length you are looking for, I'd suggest talking to the guys at Bridgeview. They make a phenomenal 18 and 22 ft centre console with self bailing deck. If you want to see one in the wild, there is an 18 moored at Burrard Civic right near the coast guard station - easily visible from shore. I talked to Bridgeview at the boat show 2 years ago, and these going in the range of $100k (and they don't build them very often). Another alternative is a Silver Streak 20' Haida or maybe the 18'6" Challenger centre console.

I think if you talk to a bunch of builders, they will warn you that the smaller 20ft centre consoles (typically 18ft interior + 2ft hull extension), are hard to do as self bailing and guarantee it to be 100% dry all the time. I have a Jasper Marine center console in this size range - it is self bailing with two ping-pong ball scuppers at the transom. At rest with a few people in the back, I get maybe a 1/2" of water around the scuppers - but pretty minimal. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Remember, to make a boat self bailing the builder is creating a sealed chamber under the floor. They can increase the volume/flotation of this chamber by raising the floor, but then you have to raise the sides as well. Sometime you will see self bailing boats where the floor is surprisingly high, and the side are disconcertingly low. The real art of the self bailing deck is seeing how everything is sealed, how the controls wiring / fuel lines are done, and whether water can get trapped in any of the interior compartments. I'd say its hard to tell what you've got until you've lived with it for some time.
The Bridgeview design is awesome. When I called them however, they had a 2 to 3 year wait list. The one that's for sale is a bit above my budget and it's in Prince Rupert.

Yes, I agree, the self bailing gets trickier the smaller the boat. I used to have a 19' Wolf however, and never had any issues. It was dry even with 3 people in the back corner, so it can be done.

I’ve got a modified Cope 22 Nanoose built by E&D. You’re welcome to check it out in person if you want . It’s definitely not quite as well finished as the spendy ones , but, it’s a solidly built, safe boat. It’s moored at False Creek …
Cheers , Lemmy

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpeg
    IMG_0375.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 85
Send me a PM if you want to see our JaxonCraft at Reed Point.

Not a Centre Console but you will get an idea of build quality

I’ve got a modified Cope 22 Nanoose built by E&D. You’re welcome to check it out in person if you want . It’s definitely not quite as well finished as the spendy ones , but, it’s a solidly built, safe boat. It’s moored at False Creek …
Cheers , Lemmy
That looks like a well laid out boat. I like the cope design. Thank you for that offer. I'm over in Victoria, but I'll let you know if I'm over that way, as it'd be cool to check it out.

Send me a PM if you want to see our JaxonCraft at Reed Point.

Not a Centre Console but you will get an idea of build quality
Thanks, I have actually seen jacksoncrafts before. Great boats. It's one of the options I'm considering, just a bit out of my budget. I love the customization Robert offers, and he seems like a great guy.

Back