Weekend fishing

Jeffzee

Good morning everyone, I am just getting into fishing myself. Looking to maybe get out fishing in Vancouver Harbor this weekend if there is a break in the weather. Where is the best area to target? West Van shoreline? Certain depths i should be looking for? Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Thanks!!!

Where? Howe Sound around the west side of Bowen. In and amongst the freighters in English Bay. QA marker area. Mile Markers along Spanish Banks. West Van Shoreline. etc

Depth? Bottom or just above.

With the feeder springs you'll be looking at now....they can be pretty much in ANY of the local haunts. Find bait on your sounder and work it; you may find yourself covering quite a bit of water in the search.

Last edited:
Exactly what Pippen said.

Glow spoons in 3-4 inches most guys go green/lime, 5-7ft to your flasher.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it! I have a decent selection of glow tackle and new cable on the down riggers, we'll see how it goes!

I think Pippen meant to say the Qb marker in the harbour. The QA marker is out in the deep water further out in the Strait over 300 feet deep. A little to deep out there to fish near bottom. You can find the fish at any depth in the winter, but you want to fish within 20 feet of bottom most of the time. If you can bounce bottom even better, but it needs to be a more or less level and sandy is best.

Smaller size hoochies like the needle fish hoochies are also a good bet. Glow green splatterback is a pretty good bet for winter feeders. NG142R is the code, I believe.

Last edited:
QA as in the contours closer in. If you're in for a long tack you can go QA to Bell and then along the Mile Markers
QB is always worth a few passes while checking out the freighters

QA as in the contours closer in. If you're in for a long tack you can go QA to Bell and then along the Mile Markers
QB is always worth a few passes while checking out the freighters

Yes.....I didn't mean out in the real DEEPS....between Bell and QA. But hey....you find bait out there have at er!!! :p

Agree on the QB as well but I often just consider that "the freighters" or "pretty much anywhere in English Bay". :D

@Jeffzee As you can see from replies.....for winters....pretty much anywhere! Find the bait. ;)

One of my biggest winters came from around the environmental station in West Van. If there's a nippy NW breeze that's also a good reason to work that area. Pt. Atkinson blocks most of the wind on a day with a NW wind. Way warmer in the winter if you can fish out of the wind. Likewise with the mile markers, that's protected from a Southerly by Point Grey. Although no point in hanging out in any one spot for too long, if your not marking bait on your sounder.

Back