WD 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol,, I fish with them in the boat sometimes and have a couple for a snack just to make a point. Superstitions are for people that need excuses, nothing more.

And I use WD40 on my flasher swivels regularly, more oil residue and toxins go into the water from your exhaust and gets into the water from any little lube on your swivels I’ll guarantee you that. Anybody that adds oil to the engine on an inboard where do you think that oil goes, through the rings, into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust, Same as any oil injected 2 stroke, what do you think that purple slick is behind your boat. How about when you grease up the Gimble on your leg or out drive where does that go when it gets washed off, and they are greased until grease comes out. I’m not into soaking my baits or lures in it but a little sprayed now and then on your swivels absolutely negligible in the big scheme of things.

I don't worry much about scent for salmon, halibut is another story. We should be careful about what we put in the ocean. I agree with you however that it is important to keep perspective and not as sport fishermen beat ourselves up for using a little WD40. A tiny amount of WD40 spray on flasher swivels is not going to be the straw that kills the oceans. I suspect the moms putting suntan oil/lotion on their children at Parksville beaches may be more of an issue. Certainly the creosote leaching out of pilings is likely to be. One wonders how many billions or trillions of cans of WD40 equivalent an Exon Valdez or a blown offshore well head that runs for months in the Gulf puts in the ocean. Then there is all the worlds shipping that flush their tanks and bilges, most of the time hopefully when they are at least a little away from the coast. I was once out off Esq. in a buddies boat salmon fishing in bumpy water when we ran into a diesel slick so thick the smell was making me dizzy in rather strong wind and was glad neither of us smoked. How many millions or billions of cans of WD40 equivalent is still leaking out of sunk WW2 shipping into the ocean 75 years later or out of a sunk BC ferry for that matter. Street storm water runoff from Vancouver and Victoria vehicles with bad motor seals likely puts far more oil in the ocean in a year than all the cans of WD40 sold in BC. We should be conscious of what we put in the ocean and do our best to limit it but lets not lose perspective or accept the notion that somehow angling is the great polluter and therefor embolden those who want to eliminate it.

Last edited:
I don't worry much about scent for salmon, halibut is another story. We should be careful about what we put in the ocean. I agree with you however that it is important to keep perspective and not as sport fishermen beat ourselves up for using a little WD40. A tiny amount of WD40 some spray on flasher swivels is not going to be the straw that kills the oceans. I suspect the moms putting suntan oil/lotion on their children at Parksville beaches may be more of an issue. Certainly the creosote leaching out of pilings is likely to be. One wonders how many billions or trillions of cans of WD40 equivalent an Exon Valdez or a blown offshore well head that runs for months in the Gulf puts in the ocean. Then there is all the worlds shipping that flush their tanks and bilges, most of the time hopefully when they are at least a little away from the coast. I was once out off Esq. in a buddies boat salmon fishing in bumpy water when we ran into a diesel slick so thick the smell was making me dizzy in rather strong wind and was glad neither of us smoked. How many millions or billions of cans of WD40 equivalent is still leaking out of sunk WW2 shipping into the ocean 75 years later or out of a sunk BC ferry for that matter. Street storm water runoff from Vancouver and Victoria vehicles with bad motor seals likely puts far more oil in the ocean in a year than all the cans of WD40 sold in BC. We should be conscious of what we put in the ocean and do our best to limit it but lets not lose perspective or accept the notion that somehow angling is the great polluter and therefor embolden those who want to eliminate it.

Exactly,, it’s like swatting a misquote and thinking you may be eliminating the species lol.

I was jigging bottom fish last week. Wasnt catching anything Had a nearly empty can of wd40 rolling around from unsiezing some pliers earlier. Never tried using it for attractant. Always heard the tale. Sprayed some on, Caught a large charbozen within seconds. Then next spray i sent it down caught a nice cod. Can was emtpy by then and the weather picked up. Worked for me
Pretty sure Cod is closed for the winter

no need too have it dripping off, even a light spray is too much. it will break the glue on your flashers if that is where someone told ya to spray it , lol, ,.but it hides scent on lures and works as a swivel loooob..
edit: it makes the hooks too slippery and you lose fish.
do not get any wd or any attractant on yer clips, cuz that is lame.

thank you someone that finally gets it....

What area were you fishing for cod?Mongoose

The cod were caught when bottom fishing for bottom fish called halibut in the ocean to make it clear

He said last week.

Reading comprehension is a learned skill.
Sure is aces. Maybe you should take note on your own lines and understand that i didnt say i was fishing for cod nor keeping

I remember watching Charlie White videos as a kid he used WD-40 and bilge water as experimental scents. He did ok with them as I remember. Enough nasty shat goes into the water I don’t want to add more if I can help it though.

I saw this video as well, Charlie White dipped one set up in dirty oily/fuely bilge water on one side, and kept it clean on the other side, both setups worked indifferently...

Think the original question in this thread has been answered and this has veered off course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back