Want to learn!

Merrittboy

Am buying a lot in Port Renfrew and am getting excited about spending time there in the summer. At present I am a river lake fisher so need help! Where do I start, I don't wnat to kill my wife or myself! :D Give me details and items that I need to get started fishing this spring! I hope to have about 10 - 15 grand for a boat, read the other post some good stuff. My immediate plans are not to try to go out too far! So guys and gals, share your wealth of experience including crabbing!
Thanks!

Oh and if there are any wise ol vets who want to take a newbie out and teach him the ropes, let me know, I am more than willing to help with gas or beer!

I'm jealous MB, Rennie seems to be where its at on S. Isle for consistent hali and salmon fishing. I would love to fish there in 2007 with my boat (after I install my kicker and get downriggers), but figure it's best to go with someone with local knowledge.
Island Outfitters reno'd a house in Rennie this year for their charter clientele. I personally know people who chartered with IO on a few occasions, limiting out each time.
Tight lines,
PinchMe

Good advice about taking Power Squadron
http://vancouver.powersquadron.ca/ it's the very first thing you need to do, then buy a GPS and learn to use it.

Then buy paper charts of the area and study them.

In terms of fishing start by doing a Search on this Forum-just type in Port Renfrew and you'll see all sorts of valuable info about the area.

Trolling for Salmon is easy and bottomfishing is even easier it's staying alive out there that's tricky sometimes.

Thanks dogbreath, good ideas. I don't plan to get out too far! Just basically out around the point! Hear the fishing is good there. Won't need to get too big a boat!

just my opinion, but i would look at something at least 19'
and make sure the power is good and reliable.
Renfrew is open west coast and it can get nasty in a hurry !

quote:Originally posted by Merrittboy

Botanical RV Resort, you know it?
yes thats the one on the hill on the way to botanical beach.I thought the lots were all sold.or did they put in another phase.

Lots of fog in Renny so you need to know how to navigate in it using electronics (Radar preferable, GPS, sounder) and compass. Don't go out in fog until you know what your doing and know your limitations. Need reliable power and learn how quick ground swell with a little wind and chop can turn nasty. Learn how to handle your boat in a following sea and a heading sea. I find a deep v boat in a following sea coming back to port from Swiftsure in a big ground swell deserves respect. Start with fishing near the can, camper's creek and logan creek. If going to Swiftsure for your first trip or two go with another boat or with a guide. Preferable to go with another boat anytime when venturing to Swiftsure. Learn the depts at different parts of the tide before blasting in/out of port and near shore. Crabbing is relatively easy, just look for the pots on the north side of the bay (there's three/four areas on the north side where you will seem them grouped). It seems like the commercial crabbers stick more to the middle of the port.

I got lucky, I guess, do you know much about it??? Good, bad, reports, a freind of mine introduced me, Rob Refshlager.
Let me know!

Salmon9. what do u mean can? I agree no real adventures until I get use to the area and know what I am doing. Good advice, thanks.:)

He is referring to the Bouy on the outside of the shelf/entrance to the bay , it is a swell activated horn bouy and is known locally as the "can".

AL

Ok think I bought a boat, hopefully a good deal! Now you guys can start telling me what to outfit it with! Have fun I enjoy the reading! Some great ideas on this site!

Ok think I bought a boat, hopefully a good deal! Now you guys can start telling me what to outfit it with! Have fun I enjoy the reading! Some great ideas on this site!

Back