VRO oil system Yamaha

alley cat

After many years of faultless running my 115 Yamaha has finally burped a problem.
While running the motor during flush operation the alarm triggered and the low oil light came on , shut down the unit , checked the main oil tank and there was 3/4 of a tank , took the hood off the big one and the oil showed below the bottom sight line.
Checked all over the lines going to the reservoir on the motor from the main oil tank and found no kinks or leaks.
Pulled the electrical connection from the top cap and checked for continuity ................ OK
Put it all back together and started it again to see if the oil would transfer to the motor tank , no go.
Pulled the cap on the small unit gave it enough oil to get over the lower mark by about 2 ins and everything ran well , shut down siphoned out oil until a hair above the mark and ran until the alarm came on again , no oil transfer !!!

Any suggestions ?

AL

Make sure the pump at the base of the large remote tank is working. There is a remote fill toggle switch at the rear on the motor on the ecm unit. If the engine tank fills when you use the switch the pump is ok. If it fills very slowly replace the little inline filter also at the base of the remote tank. They clog up easy if there is any gelling in the oil. If partially clogged your engine could be consuming more oil than can be replaced by the pump. One last step is to drain all the oil from that tank, clean the tank with varsol and then re pour the oil into the tank through a painters filter. You will be surprised at what the filter catches.

Thanks profisher you sure know your stuff I started rooting around by the oil tank not realizing there was a filter down there , what a spot to get at , will try pulling that apart and cleaning that out first.

Tks

AL

Hope it cures the problem...the filters are cheap too. I would drain the tank while it is out, clean and use a filter to re-use the oil. Otherwise you may re-clogg the new oil filter.

Back