Oil leak near tilt trim - Yamaha 150

RMAC

Hi,

I have a Yamaha 150 outboard and it seems like there is some oil leaking from the tilt trim area. From what I can see it may be coming from the tilt trim motor but I am not certain on that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be? The purple line in the picture is where I could see the oil running from but I can't see in behind there. That is the tilt trim motor on the left hand side.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Rob

Attachments

• image1(1).jpeg
    image1(1).jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 73
Hi,

I have a Yamaha 150 outboard and it seems like there is some oil leaking from the tilt trim area. From what I can see it may be coming from the tilt trim motor but I am not certain on that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be? The purple line in the picture is where I could see the oil running from but I can't see in behind there. That is the tilt trim motor on the left hand side.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Rob
Hey Rob, I’ve dealt with the same issue on one of my F150s, it’s going to be one of the o-rings between the pump and the tilt trim assembly body. There are 3 bolts that hold the motor on, the two shorties are not too bad to get off, and there is a 3.5” bolt that will almost certainly be a huge pain getting off due to salt build up on the shaft of the bolt. I had to drill out the entire 3.5” bolt in order to remove it. 2 hours on a drill press.

Its going to be the #26 o-rings on this diagram..

1657553999554.png

Hey Rob, I’ve dealt with the same issue on one of my F150s, it’s going to be one of the o-rings between the pump and the tilt trim assembly body. There are 3 bolts that hold the motor on, the two shorties are not too bad to get off, and there is a 3.5” bolt that will almost certainly be a huge pain getting off due to salt build up on the shaft of the bolt. I had to drill out the entire 3.5” bolt in order to remove it. 2 hours on a drill press.

Its going to be the #26 o-rings on this diagram..

View attachment 82138
Thanks again for the advice on this. Luckily I was able to get the long bolt out. Used a propane torch to heat that area with the bolt and an impact wrench and it finally gave way. Very lucky that we did get it out of the threaded section as it is now stuck as per the picture. I think it just be a lot of corrosion and it is just jammed in there.

Would anyone have any recommendation on where to take this in the Richmond area that could drill this out? I imagine it wouldn't be difficult but I don't think I have the tools to be able to remove it. The threaded section was just on the other piece that this was removed from.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• image0(2)(2).jpeg
    image0(2)(2).jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image0(2)(1).jpeg
    image0(2)(1).jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 39
I would source a new bolt, Cut the head off the old one and force it thru the end with the threads on it with a drift or a punch lots of penetrating oil in the bore to minimize friction. You could try it on the end with the threads and punch it thru but that surface needs to be flush for the O rings to seal so theres a bit more risk there.

Does the bolt spin in the bore or is it locked in there solid

I would source a new bolt, Cut the head off the old one and force it thru the end with the threads on it with a drift or a punch lots of penetrating oil in the bore to minimize friction. You could try it on the end with the threads and punch it thru but that surface needs to be flush for the O rings to seal so theres a bit more risk there.

Does the bolt spin in the bore or is it locked in there solid
A new bolt is no problem to get.

The bolt does spin but it won't back out any further. The head of the bolt is getting all mangled now as well so cutting the head off and trying a punch to get it out may work. Been using a lot of penetrating oil on it.

If you have a deep enough container, set the part in CLR overnight so the bolt is submerged. CLR will tackle the corrosion. /then dry off and use some penetrating oil and work it back and forth. The Bolt is toast anyway, but save the threads on the housing.

Drewski

Thanks again for the advice on this. Luckily I was able to get the long bolt out. Used a propane torch to heat that area with the bolt and an impact wrench and it finally gave way. Very lucky that we did get it out of the threaded section as it is now stuck as per the picture. I think it just be a lot of corrosion and it is just jammed in there.

Would anyone have any recommendation on where to take this in the Richmond area that could drill this out? I imagine it wouldn't be difficult but I don't think I have the tools to be able to remove it. The threaded section was just on the other piece that this was removed from.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
You are a lucky man, nice work. As suggested, cut the head of the bolt off and use a punch to hammer the bolt back through. The largest part of that bolt is the thread diameter, the non-threaded portion of the bolt shaft actually steps down in diameter so you shouldn’t have any issues at all drifting it out.

You are a lucky man, nice work. As suggested, cut the head of the bolt off and use a punch to hammer the bolt back through. The largest part of that bolt is the thread diameter, the non-threaded portion of the bolt shaft actually steps down in diameter so you shouldn’t have any issues at all drifting it out.
Thanks again for the advice on this. Cut the head off the bolt and used a punch to hammer it back through the opposite way. Lots of corrosion built up on the start of the threads. Had to order the replacement bolts from the US so hopefully they show up soon so I can get it fixed and get back out fishing.

Back