Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Heard about the Halibut closure on the 9th,so broke down and purchased an anchor system,and headed out of pedder
at the crack of dawn Mon. We hit the 27 fathom reef straight out of the harbour mouth and dropped the pick in 240ft.
of water. Tide was ripping pretty good but managed to get down with 2lbs. and 400-500ft. of line.Pretty quiet for the
first few hours with nothing but a cabazon to show for our effort.Then right around 10:00 the sounder started showing
a pile of feed stacked over 50 ft. deep right on the bottom.I told my two buddys who were with me that it was
looking very promising when the port rod doubles over and just starts screamin! Grab the rod and 20mins. later up
comes the biggest hali I've ever caught. I harpooned it and that just pissed him off,and down it went,breaking my
80lb. Tuff Line like it was nothing,and submurging the little Scottsman right out of sight.A minute or two later it
pops up a 100ft. behind the boat,so we disconect the anchor,chase it down ,tie it to a cleat,and slash its gills.
In the meantime we get back on the pick and get the rods back down.The tide has since dropped off,and the rods
are hanging straight down with the huge stack of feed still down there.I just get our prize hali hog tied and in the
boat and bam,the starboard rod goes off.I pass this one to my buddys wife and pull the port rod out of the holder.
I get maybe 10-15 cranks off the bottom and that rod doubles over in my hands. Double Hali Header Time!! Pass that
rod to my buddy and get the poon ready.Total pandimonium insued for the next 45mins. or so while I pooned ,subdued
and hog tied these two fish. Get back to the dock and throw them on the scales. 78,34,28lbs. respectivly. Quite a day!
Just wish I had a chartplotter to mark the spot. All of them came on salmonbellys,and marinated in Pro-Cure Butt Juice.
Wow that sounds like a lot of fun, I got a 40lb'er right out there as well. Nice eating fish!!

speaking of Hali stories....I was out at Constance this afternoon and had been drifting across the top and was just going over one of the 65ft deep pinnacles on the Vic side, when a new guy rips over from Vic, drops in about 75ft away, lowers a spinnow and jigs for about 2 minutes and nails a 50lb hali. Dohhhh! Location, location, location. Anyway....I put about 3 hours in, but no hali for me and I didn't see anyone else around me land anything. Last time hali fishing constance I had put in 2.5hrs at anchor when another guy did the same thing but nailed a salmon right beside me in the first minute of lowering his gear. Perhaps next time...

Keep tring boated four hallys out there on wensday and 16 lb spring playing with a spinning out fit fun fun pin up in 210 of water , saw whales , many dogfish ,small porpoises that look like miinny whales very fast porpoise also boted a skate,and the biggest flounder all let go,(dogfish,flounders,skate,ratfish)the flooded was the best for use.goodluck boomer

limited out on hali today, last kick at the can, fished for less than 2 hours last boat to show up and the first to leave, gotta love that. 30 and a 70 great day, now two hours of vacuum packing.

I caught a 50cm wild spring off the warerfront wednesday evening. I thought it was my first winter spring but when I cleaned it the milt was very large. A winter spring would not be too developed would it? Is that a typical size for a jack spring? I thought they were more 10-12 pounds. Had 2 other pin poppers that didn't stick as well there was a quick bite out there. thought it was just feeders but after gutting that one I wonder if there were some bigger fish with it considering it appeared ready to head for a river. The other 2 sure popped the pins quick if they were all small fish.

These 'jacks' are 2 year old males (always males) and usually range between 4 and 6 pounds. They are mature fish at this time
of year and will die this fall as do other older spawners.

I guess that is what I got then. In hindsight I should have known it was not a feeder because the fish was quite thick for it’s size. Fiesty little bugger too it was leaping around like a coho. What are the 10-12 pound males three year olds?

Do these little jacks tend to hang with a school of their older (and bigger) siblings who are all heading to the river or do they form their own little school of jacks? We might have made a big mistake - we left the spot looking for bigger fish and got no more action. LOL. 3 hits in 20 minutes two popping the pin straight away isn't good enough for me I guess. The big ones were probably down with the little gaffer should have stuck around it might have turned back on.

Do these little jacks tend to hang with a school of their older (and bigger) siblings who are all heading to the river or do they form their own little school of jacks?

When I worked up at the hatchery on the Vedder River, the Jacks would come back mixed in with the older, larger fish.
Not sure if they behave diffrently once they hit the river, but my guess is they behave the same in the ocean.

Holy trucks and trailers Batman. Esquimalt anglers this morning. Lol

I launched late and had to park two blocks up Lampson. Haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite logical Kildonan when you consider the good weather, flat water, second to last day of halibut season and James Bay Anglers' derby today (and tomorrow too).
If the wind drops for tomorrow (whitecaps out there now) could be just as busy.

Good Coho day for us. Fishing along the border. 4 'hos and 2 spring. Nothing huge, but done by 1130.

Hi folks...I lost one of my fenders at the Esquimalt ramp yesterday (Saturday) morning--it is a black G3 polyform fender with black cover and doublebraid rope with a clip for the rail. It would be great if someone found it. (A six pack of your favourite wobbly-pop?) ps Deckhand was suitably flogged.

Fished Saturday and Sunday out at Constance for hali hoping to get some in the freezer before season ended. We were drifting, so when the winds came up yesterday, we were forced to end it early. But what a perfect day it was out there today, flat and calm current as can be. Unfortunately, no hali to report, but we did see one humpback, had a close encounter with a sea lion who decided to pop up right behind the boat, looking straight up at us, and ended the day by catching a large octopus! That was a first for us, and with my wife and two young kids on board, it was pretty cool! He made the release relatively easy too, no gear lost.

Tried for Hali one last time today. Last weekend got a limit of chickens from Connie, but today wasn't so good for us. The only one we hooked snapped the braided mainline (should probably change it more often :p). Caught a ratfish, which was pretty cool, and even shed the anchor to drift around as the current and wind conditions were so good, but it just wasn't my day. Heard some other guys killed it - great to know more where caught to end a good season! Can't wait till next year!

We fished a long day yesterday near Race Rocks/ Pedder Bay to try to get a halibut before the season ended. And we did - my son got a nice one about 25 lbs. Best conditions for halibut I have ever experienced. No current or rough water all day! Lots of laughs with my son and a great friend in the boat. Fantastic.

Did two Hali trips this weekend. Skunked on sat fished 10am - 4:30pm. Went out Sunday to literally watch the sun set on the season. Got to the bank at 5pm fished until 7:30. Somebody told the halibut it was the last day because they were ON.

Got the first at 5:40 a 26lbr. It tangled in all 3 lines what a cluster f... Managed to get one rod clear and back down. 20 minutes later while still clearing the tangle that rod goes off. Lost the fish about 30ft off bottom. drop 2 rods back down and again not long after fish on! This guy tangles in the other rod too! Get the fish in though 29lbr.

In all the chaos I knocked a rod holder into the drink. Damn now I gotta use an orca. Rods go back down and we had 2 more fish come mouth the bait about 20 min apart. Both looked like hali bites. at 7:30 it's time to go. Start bringing one line in it was about half way up when the other rod hits. We see it pump once, twice, then the POS rod holder opens up and before anyone can grab the rod SPLOOSH into the deep she goes. Of course our second line was way off the bottom so the fish didnt tangle the gear this time. Tried to snag my rod with no luck. Watched it sink down on my depth sounder. Thankfully it was just a cheap $50 used rod/reel i got but i didnt plan on replacing it.

So we ended with a 26 and a 29 and we coulda shoulda had our third. I caught bigger fish this year but based on chaos and action this was by far the best day of the year for me. 5-6 hits in 3 hours with total gong shows in between.

Hali 2012 was nothing short of fantastic. I've started my x-mas list now and have for sale 2 orca rod holders!

Got screwed by the currents yesterday. Funny because everyone is reporting great currents.
Ran out to Boarder first and experianced the strangest current I have ever seen. Boat was hanging to the west but gear was going east so hard we could not keep it near the bottom. It looked like we were not anchored and drifting but we were not moving. Reel up the gear and as it got close to the top it would swing to the back of the boat where it should be.
So that being unfishable we moved to East Conny to avoid the crowds. Current was moving so hard we again could not stay on the bottom.
Couple of texts with buddies on the water and we were on the move again to fish the mud. Currents were great and we were good to go. Only problem was we only had an hour left in our day as we both had other comittments.
So about 30 miles of boat ride, 4 anchorings and 4 hours on the water with 1 hour of fishing.
Just a few dogs for us.
Oh well. Always good to be on the water.

Tips

Back