Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

killer whale music!!!!

i seem to post this every year. Get Whales of Blackfish Sound, get to the transient meat eating killer whale dialects, dub it over and over. fish on, tunes loud. Seals stay away. DO NOT TRY THIS IF KILLER WHALES ARE IN THE AREA!!. (I haven't a clue how the other killer whales would respond). I did this for a few years off of Norris and Flora rocks when I fished the Big Qualicum. We were the only boat NOT to lose fish to those black demons.

Drewski

Holmes,

I eat lunch at your place often. I camp at Tutta Marina. I fish out of a Sylvan Master Troller called MISTRESS. I have posted on your brag board on occassion. I am usually there last week of July. I will try and corner you in the kitchen and if i remember, I will make a CD for you to try. Thing about Nootka is there are NO SEALS???? This is a wonderful change from Deep Bay area where I would see hundreds on the rocks on the south side of Hornby and Denman. Sounds like Victoria has it as bad as Nanaimo for seals. Some years ago it was all the rage to tow a pool toy "Killer Whale" behind the boat about 100 feet back. Seals would turn and run, and the stores were sold out in all of the lower mainland. Problem is really bad at the Hood Canal south of the border. However, every once in a while a transient pod of meat eaters help out.

Drewski

I've wondered if anyone leading a big money derby on the first day of a 2 or 3 day tournament hasn't thought of blasting resident killer whale chatter up and down the fishing grounds in an attempt to keep fish from feeding.

No effect on fishing that we've noticed!!!

In the many years fishing out of Bowser Bill's we have used the killer whale tape extensively. After we hooked up on a fish and got him aboard we usually had a fish on pretty quick if the bite was on. So I can't say that the sound affects the fish at all. However, after losing 15 fish at Tribune bay buzz bombing in an afternoon to seals, I can tell you how good it can work.

Drewski

i seem to post this every year. Get Whales of Blackfish Sound, get to the transient meat eating killer whale dialects, dub it over and over. fish on, tunes loud. Seals stay away. DO NOT TRY THIS IF KILLER WHALES ARE IN THE AREA!!. (I haven't a clue how the other killer whales would respond). I did this for a few years off of Norris and Flora rocks when I fished the Big Qualicum. We were the only boat NOT to lose fish to those black demons.

Drewski

How about ripping an MP3 file of the meat eating killer whale sounds and posting it on this forum?
Sij

Dragged for over 3 hours before our 1st bite...
then picked up 11 & 15 lb hatch Springs .
blew a belt on downrigger, 1st ever and called it a day

Windy day on the water, slow but still picked up a 15 lb hatchery spring on the flats. Crabbing not bad but come on 3 commercial crabbers off Oak Bay thats brutal.

Looked a little lumpy offshore so fished the flats early this AM with the Rock and picked up 4 springs by 10am. Three around 12 lbs and one 8lb wild in the slot. On the bottom as usual. Bait. Only a couple guys out there today...everyone must have been home, prep'n for the Nuckers.

Windy day on the water, slow but still picked up a 15 lb hatchery spring on the flats. Crabbing not bad but come on 3 commercial crabbers off Oak Bay thats brutal.

looks like five commercial boats are working that area hard!

beemer

Good number of fish at Conny on Saturday but the ever prevalent seal problem as usual.

I won this battle though after about a 25 minute fight. Weighed in at 18 lbs on the boat scale before it's dead carcase was dumped in the water.

What a waste!

Photo-0018.jpg

Photo-0019.jpg

I'm thinking, because it was a Native, not a Hatchery. I think that they are closed there now?

A Close call ... lucky we won on this occasion..! lol. (pics are from summer 2009, not recent)

IMG_8929.jpg

IMG_8884.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt Scott. With the regs may have to start packing some morphine for the overs.

Conny was not bad again today. 3 beautiful cookie cutter clones 10-12 lbs and 1 with a fin well over.

No seals on the ebb so he went back unscathed.

Squirts in the mud. Still a fair # of needlefish around as per stomach content.

Back