Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out to Constance just after noon for a quick fish. Got into some coho right away, 4 in about half an hour but all were wild. Others picked them up too and we saw a hatch at EA so they were out there. Nothing else for us though, we just bounced a couple baby lings off the bottom. Gorgeous few hours, flat calm and hot as I've ever had it on the water.

fished the flats and picked up a 15 hatchery and released a bigger wild 20? Had a few other strikes and got sealed once. All on spoons with 4 to 5 foot leader.The fish do not seem to be in all the "usual spots" . The back eddy is your friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished along the wall this morning. Long released a wild big spring slightly over 85 cm by the boat, trolled more, picked up a hatch spring keeper, lost two...lots of weeds, woods, logs around

any reports from flats/discovery from past few days..... heard they were hittin some fish on far side of discovery over the weekend.

headin out this aft

PM me if needed.

Cheers,
dfrase

thanks, i can see it is pickin up a bit now like it has the past few days. will keep an eye on it over the next few hrs

we will zip around to ten mile if the flats are not so flat

It looks much less windy than yesterday, but still pretty darn windy. I took the Ten Mile option last night for a night bite try from 8pm to 10pm.....with no salmon bites, but lots of lings dragging along.....I wonder how long on some.

What depths do most try back there? I was hugging tight for the most part with the gear down 30-60'.

beauty night....
IMG_2981.jpg

If you get offshore about 1/4 mile you can fish a relatively unobstructed bottom (90-120)
and get away from those small lings.

Try blue and silver spoon and cop car spoon 50 to 80 is good there is some really nice fish around with few fisher man around water front

Try blue and silver spoon and cop car spoon 50 to 80 is good there is some really nice fish around with few fisher man around water front

Yes, I was there couple days ago, hooked a big spring over there and played it for ten minutes, I realized it may be over slot restrictions, apparently, fish split the hook out and swam freely and wildly, as my buddy almost net my fish. It was fun though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Constance 10 - 1pm. Got two winter-sized hatch springs (5 and 7) both on a glow hoochie right away and then it was all coho all the time at all depths. Unfortunately for us they were also all wild. Quit after releasing over a dozen. Absolutely perfect weather.

Very slow around the breakwater, but an angler caught a nice 15+ hatchery spring today on a pink Buzz Bomb while casting from the breakwater. He did better than 90% of the boats!

Went out with the family yesterday. Went just of west race rocks and trolled back towards constance in hopes of a coho I was thinking with all of the action towards Sooke the shipping lanes would be far enough west. Put the go pro down at 50' on one the third rigger. No FISH caught, no bites. a review of over an hour of video revealed only one came in to have a peak and that was in the first 4 minutes of the video. Went to the gravel pit after then Brotchie. No fish. 12-5

JL

I figured I'd hit the waterfront as opposed to sooke today due to the winds. I figured I'd go to Constance, but man, I got 3/4's of the way and had to turn back, it was ugly that way, real nasty chop. So, I went back and fished the breakwater for a couple hours. Not a sniff. It was starting to calm down a bit, and we noticed a few boats pack up and head towards Constance. So, we figured it must be clear now, so off we went. Bad idea, 3/4's of the way again and had to come back. Fished out front again and picked up a 15# and a 16# hatch chinook. The 16 brought in by my 7 yr old, he did awesome on a strong fish. Then we lost both fish on a double header, and they felt good. Trolled a bit more, and noticed it was quite flat towards Constance. I had my son, and my friends son with me, and I really wanted to get them into some coho. So, 3rd time lucky, we enjoyed a fairly smooth ride to Constance. We picked up an 8# chinook that my friends son(turned 8 yesterday) fought from beginning to end, landed it. He was happy, so that was our que, we were done. Fished from 7-230, good day and lots of fun.

As rockdog(great report!) alluded to, the chop against the current this morning was nasty and also kept me off Constance. Ended up deciding to try the tide lines to see if the pinks and cohos were coming through. It wasn't long until the first of three double headers were on. It was only me, so it wasn't long(by 8) before I had my fill; 2 hatch coho(4 of 5 were hatch) in the boat and 1 pink that fought like it was something else. It was a net free day with either a gentle gaff release, or a quick spike through the head. I got a l got a lot out of the recent gaffing thread and am hooked.

Headed back to see about a chinook, with no luck. I did see a couple of nice fish at the dock caught tight in.

These three went straight in the brine and into the smoker tomorrow!

You don't need to go all the way to sooke to get your coho and pink fix guys and gals, just find the highway.

They were all between 40-60' in 220-260'. Mostly all on a teaser head bucktai(faux chovie)l combo that I tied up. Worked well for first time out, Dave S is skeptical it will land a spring...we'll see!! Yum.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373249881.279329.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373249857.965422.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373249857.965422.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 555
Andrew, do you have a close up image of that teaser/flashtail combo. I have a bunch of flashtails but rarely use them. Like to see how they roll in a teaser head.

Andrew, do you have a close up image of that teaser/flashtail combo. I have a bunch of flashtails but rarely use them. Like to see how they roll in a teaser head.

I'll post up some pics tonight(assuming I go for a fish after work...) and start a thread as to not highjack the reports thread. I did tie this one up with the teaser head in mind, so it is asymmetric a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back