Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried the flats today, got one just as we were about to pull up our gear around 8:30. Beauty hatchery spring weighed in at 22 lbs. big smiles! got it on a tko spoon and blue flasher at 70ft in 170 ft of water. that was the only action for us, aside from a very full crab trap.

Just landed one fish out of a double header with a 7 year old. His rod had a 20+ and I landed a 15ish wild. Just shy of 80cm. It was nuts on the boat for 10-15 mins! I'm out with the boy and my wife.
Good times!!
The fish my boy had was out of control. My boy couldn't control it. I didn't realize until we had it by the boat that he had the bigger one.
Anyways, back to fishing!!

Right in front of he breakwater, 80 ft of water, 55 on the rigger. One side was a Chovy, other side was a coyote.

OB flats this morning from 5:45 to 10am. Extremely slow fishing. Had the place to ourselves until about 7 when some others joined us. Ended up landing a 15lb hatch on a Cop Car off Brodie Rock about 7:30 and that was it.

OB flats this morning from 5:45 to 10am. Extremely slow fishing. Had the place to ourselves until about 7 when some others joined us. Ended up landing a 15lb hatch on a Cop Car off Brodie Rock about 7:30 and that was it.

Nice fish Terry,
Oak bay was slow all weekend but the jigger's seemed to do better than the troller's
from what i saw.

Pretty busy out there on Saturday, I was out from 1:30-2:45 nothing for us, but very short, was using a new copcar and a new teaser head forgot to crush the barbs at first, so pulled them up after only a few minutes crushed them then ran into piles and piles of seaweed, couldn't get them back down for a few minutes. Then one of the DR clips released my line in the way down so had to pull it all up again. I don't think fishing was meant to be for me that day lol, then my friend showed up at oakbay marina and wanted to join us, so we pulled the gear went and picked him up and just cruised around on the boat for a few hours, took them up past trial then around/discovery Chatam then a few miles towards James island, then idled back towards oakbay marina along the shore line, beautiful day out, a tug boat came roaring by on our way back from James island a few hundred yards away and threw up a monster wake, straight into it first wave boat goes up and down 2nd wake covers my bow, wave comes up and over windshield completey soaking us all, luckily it was a nice day and just cooled us off for a good 1/2 hour or so. Had a great time, and 3 decent size crabs in my trap. So a nice little treat when we got home.

I thought that was you Tenmile. I couldn't sleep, so went out way to early and was at Constance Sunday before 5 am. I knew it was early when a bat about 6 inches across was dive bombing me as I got the rods out and gear down. Tonnes of bait in the top 2 feet and birds on them. It was calm and I was getting lots of short bites on electric chair hootchie set up at 35 ft. I ended up getting a football shaped wild coho likely 7lbs to release after a nice fight. Then got a small football feeder chinook that I also let go. The bait is definitely fattening those fish up quick now, so it should be a good late season for size.The bite was on from 6-715, then the current picked up quick and all the boats arrived to fight the current. I worked constance for a few runs back and forth, saw one other feeder released, then fisshed the flats until 10 with Tenmile but no success there with spoons or plastic.

I fished Saturday afternoon-evening and worked the bait balls around the flats and over to Gonzales Bay. Tonnes of bait , tonnes of birds going nuts. We trolled around the bait balls, working 150 to shallow 50 ft. If I had a dip net, I might have caught a fish.LOL

Tried the wall after work. Tons or crap in the water. Had to move around a few times to find the fish but I did find them and got a couple around 10lbs one hatchery one wild. I'll put a pic in the gaffe thread tomorrow left the net stowed away and it worked out.

Edit: to answer Andrew bite happened 7-7:30. Got two fish on 2 passes no hits before or after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Launched out of EA at 7:00 this am on a buddy’s boat and went to Seal Town (Oak Bay Flats). Got checked by the RCMP for paper work and safety gear along with about six other boats.
No strikes, no fish on the sounder and no one else appearing to be catching anything but the Seals still followed us around and lots of crap on the water. Gave up around 11:00 am and went west. Fish arches on the Sounder and caught 2 cookie cutters around 12 lbs each. One at the Flag Pole at 60 feet and one at Brotchie at 87 feet and both on green and white glow squirts.

Fish tomorrow around Sooke for the first time this season.
DFO area 19-20 regulations may be confusing a little bit,
Are you allowed to keep a hatchery clipped fish over 85 cm
Or max up to 85 cm? Thanks

Fish tomorrow around Sooke for the first time this season.
DFO area 19-20 regulations may be confusing a little bit,
Are you allowed to keep a hatchery clipped fish over 85 cm
Or max up to 85 cm? Thanks
You can keep clipped over 85.

Fished Constance for about 2 hrs this evening 6 fish on . kept 2 around 10-12 lbs
And lost one Hali by the boat . ( was by myself) .

JF

Launched out of EA at 7:00 this am on a buddy’s boat and went to Seal Town (Oak Bay Flats). Got checked by the RCMP for paper work and safety gear along with about six other boats.
No strikes, no fish on the sounder and no one else appearing to be catching anything but the Seals still followed us around and lots of crap on the water. Gave up around 11:00 am and went west. Fish arches on the Sounder and caught 2 cookie cutters around 12 lbs each. One at the Flag Pole at 60 feet and one at Brotchie at 87 feet and both on green and white glow squirts.
ya should've went to connie.. I heard it was on fire ;)

Fished Constance from 5-noon for springs. Caught two quick fish during a short bite at 9 am in a random spot out deep away from the "heard" of 20 boats. One was maybe 5 lbs and the other was 15 on the digital scale. Both hatchery. Both within 5 minutes of the other being landed.

The larger one had a 5" herring in the stomach with a large bright red shrimp and tiny ghost shrimp. Caught him while I was reeling up the rod to change hooks after I yanked it off of the clip. The lure must have been screaming.

I believe the consensus was that it was really slow on the bank. Only saw two nets out and have no idea if they were for salmon, ling, or hali.

JL

My neighbour was out on OB flats trolling for a few hrs yesterday AM. No bites and he saw no nets. He said he did take the kids crabbing in some channels/bays around Chatham and got 9 crab in an hour with a crab ring, so some excitement for the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back