Victoria 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried out front last night. Probably moved around too much tried for springs at the wall then at OB didn't mark much or see anything hooked. For the last 1/2 hr I went offshore a little to about 350ft of water near the spoil ground and trolled towards the yellow can.

Only saw 1 fish on the sounder - luckily it hammered my rod. Nice fat 5-6 pound coho. JL I didn't find a tide line but if it wasnt so lumpy what I would do is head offshore until you hit a tide line then start trolling along that.

We had the golden hour on the flats last night on my buddies boat! Had a last minute call from a couple buddies moored at OBM that wanted to see if a recent report was correct about the flats being hot. From 7-8pm is was non stop summer chinook action! 65' of water down 44'. 5 hookups in the hour, 3 beautiful hatchery chinook in the boat - 13-16 pounds, 1 lost on a crazy run(it looked like a heavy one!), and one lost on a broken hook. That was the kind of hour that makes us spend the many no-bite hours on the water. 4 of 5 were on a gold and silver coho killer, other on chovie.

This is my first post on the sportfishingbc forum. I registered this morning as I wanted to share the experience I had with my son last Saturday morning (July 6) fishing off the Victoria breakwater. We had a hit on an anchovy on a Bloody Nose teaser head behind a Betsy flasher in 97 feet of water, 88 feet on the downrigger. My son picked up the rod and for the next 20-30 minutes he battled the biggest spring our little Double Eagle has ever seen. The fish took a monster run spooling out line so fast I thought we'd hooked one of the seals that always seem to be around the waterfront. It became quickly obvious we had hooked into a big fish but just how big became clear as my son finally brought the fish closer to the boat. We landed the fish and took a few quick photos before releasing it. It swam back into the deep in apparently good condition. I've attached a picture of my very happy son holding the spring. The most amazing thing about this great experience was the fact that we caught this magnificent salmon not in Sooke, Port Renfrew or Bamfield but a few hundred yards off the Victoria waterfront! We truly are lucky to live in this fisherman's paradise.Breakwater Spring.jpg

Any of us would be thrilled to have caught that fish and experienced that epic successful battle. Congratulations to you and your son. He looks pretty happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew - great story from the flats last night.

Blue Cheer - great story also, beauty fish! Thanks for the contribution.

It's stories like these that help bridge the gap between fishing trips.

This is my first post on the sportfishingbc forum. I registered this morning as I wanted to share the experience I had with my son last Saturday morning (July 6) fishing off the Victoria breakwater. We had a hit on an anchovy on a Bloody Nose teaser head behind a Betsy flasher in 97 feet of water, 88 feet on the downrigger. My son picked up the rod and for the next 20-30 minutes he battled the biggest spring our little Double Eagle has ever seen. The fish took a monster run spooling out line so fast I thought we'd hooked one of the seals that always seem to be around the waterfront. It became quickly obvious we had hooked into a big fish but just how big became clear as my son finally brought the fish closer to the boat. We landed the fish and took a few quick photos before releasing it. It swam back into the deep in apparently good condition. I've attached a picture of my very happy son holding the spring. The most amazing thing about this great experience was the fact that we caught this magnificent salmon not in Sooke, Port Renfrew or Bamfield but a few hundred yards off the Victoria waterfront! We truly are lucky to live in this fisherman's paradise.View attachment 7962

congrats on the nice spring,good luck for the rest of this years fishing serason..the fish gods will get you that spring back when the regs change next week,,

Bravo on the tyee Blue Cheer. Congrats.

As for my fishing today. Went to the yellow can and trolled around. Caught 4 pinks kept one. Spent all of my time trying to get to constance but the tide and wind had different thoughts.

Put my go PRO down on the rigger and got some great footage. Amazing to see how many fish were interested or tried to take the hook without me having a clue. anything white coho killers was the trick. The visibility is pretty low and the water is bright green as opposed to the winter videos we saw.

JL

oh and thanks A.P. for the info. I was doing just that went I read your reply.

Nice Fish . There are some big Fish cought off the Breakwater July and August I cought my largest fish ever 42 Lb right off the end in the Esq. angler Derby a few years back.

Nice Fish . There are some big Fish cought off the Breakwater July and August I cought my largest fish ever 42 Lb right off the end in the Esq. angler Derby a few years back.

You must be Fred? I'm sure not many guys can say they nailed a 42 in the esq anglers derby especially when they didn't even know they were in it! Great story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back