VHF Antenna

pennel

Well folks I've just about cobbled this boat together ( a lot of it thanks to you guys) and I have just one more bit to go.
I have been looking at antenna and vhf radios and was wondering what you guys would recommend.
The boat will be used for offshore Barkley Sound with the occasional trip up the coast to Nootka etc.
I've looked at the usual suspects and the two I was looking at were a Shakespeare galaxy 5400 (3db) and the 8' version which is 6db.
Only thing I had against the 8' one is that it would be on top of the cabin and not sure about the wind resistance on the base when moving.
So if anybody wants to chip in (also vhf radios) please do
Thanks

Well folks I've just about cobbled this boat together ( a lot of it thanks to you guys) and I have just one more bit to go.
I have been looking at antenna and vhf radios and was wondering what you guys would recommend.
The boat will be used for offshore Barkley Sound with the occasional trip up the coast to Nootka etc.
I've looked at the usual suspects and the two I was looking at were a Shakespeare galaxy 5400 (3db) and the 8' version which is 6db.
Only thing I had against the 8' one is that it would be on top of the cabin and not sure about the wind resistance on the base when moving.
So if anybody wants to chip in (also vhf radios) please do
Thanks

It will be fine get the 8ft whip antenna. The mounts are strong. I have mine on side of roof hardtop and just fold it when I trailer. You want the height.

I have a Standard Horizon Eclipse Plus VHF and an 8' Shakespeare antenna. The height is important for best transmission/reception. At least once a season have a radio check on 83A to make sure everything is working as it should. For some reason my old antenna/cable quit this year; maybe water ingress somewhere after another wet winter, so it's new and working again. Next winter our boat will be inside!

I’d seriously consider getting a Morad. The antenna is what makes the difference in VHF communications and Morad antennas are used by commercial and coast guard vessels. Mounting it as high as possible is important.

I’d seriously consider getting a Morad. The antenna is what makes the difference in VHF communications and Morad antennas are used by commercial and coast guard vessels. Mounting it as high as possible is important.
There is no doubt that a quality antenna, mounted as high as practicable, is important. The coax cable, it's connector, diameter, length and routing is equally important. Any pinching, kinking, stretching, splicing or excess length will significantly reduce a VHF radio's performance.

Worth a read:

Shakespeare also makes an XT model.

XT stands for extra tough which resists damage from overhead vegetation when towing. lol

Shakespeare also makes an XT model.

XT stands for extra tough which resists damage from overhead vegetation when towing. lol
Thanks,I’ve more or less decided to get the 8’ Shakespeare 5225xt model with a s .steel mounting plate-seems to get pretty good reviews
Was initially concerned about the reaction of the steel foot being bolted onto an aluminium roof but saw a boat without any layer between and there seemed no corrosion.
Now just a radio ,not sure if that AIS feature on some is worth the extra bucks for our neck of the woods.

Thanks,I’ve more or less decided to get the 8’ Shakespeare 5225xt model with a s .steel mounting plate-seems to get pretty good reviews
Was initially concerned about the reaction of the steel foot being bolted onto an aluminium roof but saw a boat without any layer between and there seemed no corrosion.
Now just a radio ,not sure if that AIS feature on some is worth the extra bucks for our neck of the woods.
Stainless steel is fine on aluminum. You just don’t want regular mild steel. If it was me, I’d still put some 1/16 Teflon sheet in between as a gasket but that’s just because I have lots of it

Excellent comments on here, already. I would say that if you plan on fishing/travelling in areas w substantial commercial traffic - I think AIS is worth it. Smaller boats (esp. wood & fiberglass ones) sometimes don't show in the radar - esp. if it is rough w sea clutter. And if one gets into trouble - the DSC feature is there, too. I am assuming that you already have a chartplotter that shows AIS?

Excellent comments on here, already. I would say that if you plan on fishing/travelling in areas w substantial commercial traffic - I think AIS is worth it. Smaller boats (esp. wood & fiberglass ones) sometimes don't show in the radar - esp. if it is rough w sea clutter. And if one gets into trouble - the DSC feature is there, too. I am assuming that you already have a chartplotter that shows AIS?
Yes to your chart plotter question-Garmin 1243 & 943 xsv

Excellent! Ya, it works good in reverse, as well. That way - while you are either travelling, trolling or jigging - you can tell whom is likely to be a danger to you as well. And if you have AIS capability - might as well hook it up and use it :)

I just upgraded to the Standard Horizon GX2400 Matrix with AIS and wired it through my NMEA 2000 network to my Raymarine Axiom 9. I can't recommend it enough. We fish offshore in our little Boston Whaler Montauk and are possibly not viewable on radar. Now every ship broadcasting AIS is viewable on the Axiom and in fog makes it a little more comfortable. Not as good as having radar, but we are too small for that. I'm going to put a radar target on our boat though for another level of safety. I can't recommend the GX2400 enough. It is definitely worth the extra expense. We immediately noticed better reception too. jc

Back