VHF and ROCM

Baxter

My boat came with the VHF. I do not have my ROC-M (Yet) Although I do plan on getting it this year.

I have heard mixed opinions but have not found anything official. Question is:

Am I allowed to HAVE this radio ON my boat even though I do not have the license, assuming it is turned off/not broadcasting?

(I am not talking about USING it. I mostly keep it turned off, sometimes listen to 16 incase someone close by is in trouble, but never broadcast) It is functional with DSC should the need arise to hit that distress button!). I keep the radio turned off at all times and never use it. Just leaving it on the boat in case of an emergency. Figure if I have to use it to 'not die' it will be worth a fine.

Also, to those who have done the course, I have found an online version with the exam via ZOOM for $100. Is this reasonable? How difficult are these tests?

Last edited:
I took these courses last year and yes u can have one in your boat And you can have it on. You just can’t broadcast with it. It’s a good idea to have it on, listening to the weather or the chatter going on around you. There’s a lot.

edit: my info wasn’t correct. You can’t even listen to it without a ROC. Apologies for the confusion.

Last edited:
I took these courses last year and yes u can have one in your boat And you can have it on. You just can’t broadcast with it. It’s a good idea to have it on, listening to the weather or the chatter going on around you. There’s a lot.
I have had it on from time to time, just listening to 16 in case of emergencies, but generally was leaving it off because I don't want to get dinged.

If I can legally have it on, I won't panic to do the ROC-M (will still do it, but less urgent). I know how to call for help if I am in distress (in addition to just hitting the red button), and I understand the general rules etc, just nothing "legal" yet. No plans to broadcast on it unless I am sinking/on fire/being boarded by pirates. ;)

Power squadron is now offering the self-study and online VHF course. You can look it up online. It’s only $100 and you will learn a lot.

I took the course. If there's anything in it not covered by a single VHF procedure sticker, I don't think I remember what it is. I guess if you're going to use one to chat, you know to jump off 16. I never use mine for that, though.

Take the course if you feel the need, but if you get a procedure sticker and rehearse it a couple of times, that's pretty much all you need.

Nothing illegal about using it without a license in an emergency, so if that's the plan, you're pretty much set.

If you want the knowledge of calling out other random stuff, I guess they cover that in the course. If you're not sinking, but you are radioing for a tow, say. But it's never come up for me, and if you listen to the commercial chatter, they're breaking the rules all the time about how you're supposed to talk.

I have heard two non-CG people actually stick to the formal radio rules, ever. It was so surprising that I stopped to listen to it for a minute.

Then I saw the boats as they came around the point into Silva Bay. I don't remember the first one, but the second one belonged to the guy who taught my radio course. He used the name of his boat in every example.

Anyway, I'm not against taking the course or anything, I did. But like most mandatory government classes for the masses... it's of fairly limited value and the information you retain could probably fit on a business card.

At any rate it's legal to have the radio, legal to have it switched on, and legal to transmit in an emergency. Therefore, I recommend having it with you.

I took the course. If there's anything in it not covered by a single VHF procedure sticker, I don't think I remember what it is. I guess if you're going to use one to chat, you know to jump off 16. I never use mine for that, though.

Take the course if you feel the need, but if you get a procedure sticker and rehearse it a couple of times, that's pretty much all you need.

Nothing illegal about using it without a license in an emergency, so if that's the plan, you're pretty much set.

If you want the knowledge of calling out other random stuff, I guess they cover that in the course. If you're not sinking, but you are radioing for a tow, say. But it's never come up for me, and if you listen to the commercial chatter, they're breaking the rules all the time about how you're supposed to talk.

I have heard two non-CG people actually stick to the formal radio rules, ever. It was so surprising that I stopped to listen to it for a minute.

Then I saw the boats as they came around the point into Silva Bay. I don't remember the first one, but the second one belonged to the guy who taught my radio course. He used the name of his boat in every example.

Anyway, I'm not against taking the course or anything, I did. But like most mandatory government classes for the masses... it's of fairly limited value and the information you retain could probably fit on a business card.

At any rate it's legal to have the radio, legal to have it switched on, and legal to transmit in an emergency. Therefore, I recommend having it with you.
Take the right class and you’ll get a laminated card with all the alphabet and emergency call info to keep in your boat.

Speaking as a former coast guard engineer, and as a private captain

get the course, the rules summarizes as anyone operating a vhf needs a license, it’s a bit ambiguous with the term operating but that’s intended. If you go into legal definitions you will find that turning it on qualifies as operating.
There is really good reasoning for the requirements of licensing in this case. This is a safety and critical information radio transmitting system. And simply not knowing how to identify problems with your vhf, test it’s function or being unaware that the mic button is depressed can block communications for people in your area (within about 60km max). I’ve been witness to this first hand, countless times where all communication is blocked due to a depressed mic, once even on a handheld in someone’s pocket (while trying to find a vessel on a genuine mayday of taking on water off Bowen), another mayday being talked over by people trying to decided where to anchor, shorted equipment causing issues with transmitting and receiving, and the general stupidity of actually broadcasting an official mayday call out so you can demonstrate to your grandkids how a radio works.

get the course, it’s easy and it’s just as important as your PCOC or SVOP, especially on the ocean.

Switching on a marine radio is considered to be operating it; card required. Would authorities really do anything about a radio where no one on board has a ROC-M? Highly unlikely. Agree with @YachtMech on this, take the course and learn some background. Not like it'll cost you your firstborn.

Better double check with transport Canada. Looks like either some forum members are misinformed or the course teachers are teaching some of us wrong.

They sure aren't hard; in fact that they are essentially un-failable is exactly why I think they're pointless, but I don't care if people want to get them.

But you will come away with very little information, ultimately, just like every mandated government safety course I have ever seen. But there is so little information that you need to use a radio that the only thing you're really blowing is a hundred bucks and an evening or two.

But if you want to imagine the course, here's what it's like: imagine a bunch of people this summer mow their lawns in bare feet and somehow chop off their toes in a lawnmower, and some Karen successfully petitions the government to make a mandatory six hour lawnmower safety course for everyone who buys one.

It's got no information about maintenance. It's got no information about gardening. And of course it doesn't, because it's a lowest-common-denominator mandated government safety course that everyone in the room is going to pass. I assume everyone has been subjected to courses like this at some point in their lives: somebody pulled the tool rack over at work and now everyone needs a class.

Well, the ROC is one of those. Take the class if you like - to be honest I can't even remember if it's mandatory if your vessel will always be in Canada and your radio only operates on maritime mobile frequencies; I don't actually think it is. It won't hurt you to take it.

It's just another lawnmower safety course, though.

I've never known anyone to fail, but maybe there are some.

It's hard for me to imagine that anyone who reads my posts here comes away thinking "I bet that guy couldn't pass power squadron" but maybe so, I can't speak for the impression others have.

But regardless of the impression I personally give, I would argue that assuming the only people who find mandated safety training to typically be low-information, low-requirement are the people who can't do it is pretty unrealistic. In my experience, the only training that's worthwhile is training many people can't or don't pass. I have done tons of that and it's how I got to be highly skilled at some of the stuff I do.

But the ROC course isn't that, it's a basic primer on radio use and there's not much in the course you couldn't pick up off one of the many procedure cards available.

Anyway if you want to take it, take it, I'm not anti-training. I'm just pointing out that it's essentially the same as every other "this could have been an email" meeting you're supposed to sit through in life. And it's not because I couldn't pass...as a matter of fact my current professional requirements have me designing RF communication systems, although I don't spend much time monkeying around with radios. But I assure you I have plenty of background in radio applications, as everyone who uses radio frequency carriers as their primary comm backbone does.

Not that you need any of that to get through an ROC class. Show up and don't sleep through it and you get the ticket. Safety!

I've never known anyone to fail, but maybe there are some.

It's hard for me to imagine that anyone who reads my posts here comes away thinking "I bet that guy couldn't pass power squadron" but maybe so, I can't speak for the impression others have.

But regardless of the impression I personally give, I would argue that assuming the only people who find mandated safety training to typically be low-information, low-requirement are the people who can't do it is pretty unrealistic. In my experience, the only training that's worthwhile is training many people can't or don't pass. I have done tons of that and it's how I got to be highly skilled at some of the stuff I do.

But the ROC course isn't that, it's a basic primer on radio use and there's not much in the course you couldn't pick up off one of the many procedure cards available.

Anyway if you want to take it, take it, I'm not anti-training. I'm just pointing out that it's essentially the same as every other "this could have been an email" meeting you're supposed to sit through in life. And it's not because I couldn't pass...as a matter of fact my current professional requirements have me designing RF communication systems, although I don't spend much time monkeying around with radios. But I assure you I have plenty of background in radio applications, as everyone who uses radio frequency carriers as their primary comm backbone does.

Not that you need any of that to get through an ROC class. Show up and don't sleep through it and you get the ticket. Safety!
Had a guy in my svop course who fell asleep every day. Slept through first three days and never came back to finish. Pretty sure he didn’t pass. But who knows?

I took the Power Squadron radio course at least 40 years ago. I will take it again because the features of a VHF radio are now enhanced, with AIS and DSC, compared to the old days, although essential operation is much the same. Learn to Cruise offers an online course with exam and certificate for a little over $100.00 They have other courses that look worthwhile, too.

Had a guy in my svop course who fell asleep every day. Slept through first three days and never came back to finish. Pretty sure he didn’t pass. But who knows?
You never know. I taught adult ed courses for many years and recall a student that would constantly doodle during my "riveting" lectures. I eventually wandered back, on my high horse, to give him hell for being so disrespectful. Well, this guy was a fantastic artist who went on to do very well in the course. People process information differently. I learned something that day and even bought some of his art!

as per transport canada (in the FAQ section so you dont have to sift through pages of legislation) and the radiocommunications act

3. Do I need a radio operator's certificate?

Marine radiotelephones fitted onboard Canadian vessels, must be operated by a person holding a Radio Operator's Certificate ( ROC-M ). Commercial vessels required to fit Digital Selective Calling or a satellite ship earth station must employ radio operators holding a Radio Operator's Certificate - Maritime Commercial ( ROC-MC ).

Back