Vault bearing systems

CCB

Going to be buying a new trailer to go with my new hull extention Pod and twin conversion . I figure I can't be doing all this work then run it on my old trailer . I'm looking at trailers with the new Vault bearing system and am getting mixed thoughts from some dealers and what not saying if I blow a bearing my boat will be on the side of the highway for a week waiting for parts . I just called them and that's not the case. It's is a touchless 5-10 year system but as everybody knows ANYTHING can happen and even the best of warranties will do nothing for you at 2am and in a no service area . The manufacture said I can buy spare parts and kits if it makes me feel better but you don't need it and it's a great system lol . That's not what I was asking but I wana be able to fix my bearings in a emergency to get me going again. Not repack or fix or anything like that under normals conditions why would I it's got a 5-10 year warranty. Anybody out there have this system or have had anything go wrong with it yet? Only been around a short time waiting to hear back from a couple trailer places still . As it stands now even in a crazy instance all 4 bearings blow wich never happens I'll be driving again in 2 hours tops. Have learnt in the last 3 years that if your trailer is blowing bearings switch to oil bath hubs, grease sucks and don't use cheap china bearings use good Japanese ones koyo I think. If anybody wants to know more about oil to grease you can pm me. I hate grease as much as I hate inboards now haha.

Cheers

Our new work boat is on a Tuff Trailer with the vault system. After 2 years one hub started leaking oil, took it to Sherwood (I have replaced regular bearings but was intimidated by the "no service" Vault system) There was a tiny dent on the hubcap... Maybe from jumping a curb? This had caused the oil leak and invalidated the warranty. I was not super impressed as I could have done service myself on grease hubs. Sherwood said that they have had really good success with Vaults, almost no problems. So maybe just bad luck.

I have a Tuff trailer that came with the vault system as well. Have had it since spring of 2013 and put over 8000 KM on it pulling over mountain passes etc. Have not had a problem with the vault system at all. Be diligent on doing pre and post trip visual inspections and always feel the hubs for over heating every time you stop for gas etc. They come with instructions on how to check them as well. I have a mechanical background and am skeptical about "no service required" gimmicks. I will most likely service them soon just because.

Nice , thanks for the replies . I was forced to learn how to do bearings as calling my bro each time was easy for me and he came but still when he's not with me or close it would have been an issue . I started blowing bearings up around 2010 and hated trailering always carrying 4 spares since I got a used oil bath in 2013 I think I havnt blown one up since but always drain and replace every dip as they leak a touch but since doing that not one bearing as blown in almost 3 years . I'm a pro now doing bearings on grease and or oil but this sealed no service like Jeteye said scares me as well as I always carry 4 sets of bearings but this system you can't touch the bearings yourself and a complete bolt on disk and everything is $450 here. Almost 3 times what a set of 4 bearings cost me. I don't wana spend upwards of 10k and still have to service bearings and or be stuck somewhere. Mmmm

I've had them on my pacific trailer for over 5 years. Towed the boat to Masset and back with no problems.
I had to add grease last year but it's fairly straight forward, the biggest issue I had was slow shipping of parts.
It seems to be a proprietary grease that I ordered from the States, didn't think of Sherwood Marine.

If the vault system fails and a bearing blows just fix it with a regular grease bearing system on the road. The special vault grease is the only thing that is different to an ordinary grease system. Uses standard bearings and races. When you are home you can then deal with warranty etc. If they refuse the claim or getting the vault grease is difficult just leave it as a normal grease bearing system.

Just ask The Big Guy he knows everything about everything lol
You funny solo. Bearings are not my area of expertise. I blew my first bearing in my entire lifetime last summer. I have always used good quality marine grease and never had a breakdown until last summer. I usually always use OMC marine grease. I didn't know my kid used up all my marine grease, and I was in a rush to get ready for the trip last summer. The only Evindrude dealer in Vancouver moved, I made the mistake of buying new marine grease at West Marine. First trip using that stuff I blew a bearing on the way back. Lesson learned, stick to the OMC marine grease I've used all my life without issues.

As far as oil bath, or other newer systems I'm sorry I can't offer any advice as I've stuck with the old school bearings. Hope the new fangled system works out for you if you go that route. Good luck.

................ The only Evindrude dealer in Vancouver moved, I made the mistake of buying new marine grease at West Marine................

If you are referring to Lordship Marine, they have move to 7481 Vantage Way, Delta, BC V4G 1C9.

If you are referring to Lordship Marine, they have move to 7481 Vantage Way, Delta, BC V4G 1C9.
Yup Lordship. A small but very good Evindrude dealer for many years in Vancouver. I haven't owned a Johnson outboard for many, many years, but I always stopped in to buy my OMC grease at their shop. Very nice owners staff at their shop. I was sorry to hear they left Vancouver, as I may very well buy an Evinrude as my next motor and it was nice to have them right in town.

Yup Lordship. A small but very good Evindrude dealer for many years in Vancouver. I haven't owned a Johnson outboard for many, many years, but I always stopped in to buy my OMC grease at their shop. Very nice owners staff at their shop. I was sorry to hear they left Vancouver, as I may very well buy an Evinrude as my next motor and it was nice to have them right in town.

It's not like they moved two hours away? Do you never leave the Vancouver bubble? Hell, I drive to Steveston just to get a flasher.

You're right I rarely leave the Vancouver bubble. The world ends at Boundary and Lougheed doesn't it? :)

Back