Trailer Bearings Suprise

DuroBoat

I haven’t taken off the bearing buddy or checked the bearings since I bought the boat 2+ years ago (and the previous owner did not do any maintenance) so I suspect these bearings are 5+ years old and have thousands of kms on them! They never get hot on long trips and I did replace the bearings on the other axel but these bearing buddies are rusted on and whacks with a mallet only deformed them. Got them soaking in liquid wrench and will try to pop them off later today and post what I see inside! ..also I haven’t greased them since I’ve owned the trailer so this should be interesting… venture trailer.

Attachments

• 62A50922-FB86-48F9-8163-62067F0C0CAD.jpeg
    62A50922-FB86-48F9-8163-62067F0C0CAD.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 81
  • EB5A7200-EFCF-455B-A19D-78D7AEDE18FF.jpeg
    EB5A7200-EFCF-455B-A19D-78D7AEDE18FF.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 79
I haven’t taken off the bearing buddy or checked the bearings since I bought the boat 2+ years ago (and the previous owner did not do any maintenance) so I suspect these bearings are 5+ years old and have thousands of kms on them! They never get hot on long trips and I did replace the bearings on the other axel but these bearing buddies are rusted on and whacks with a mallet only deformed them. Got them soaking in liquid wrench and will try to pop them off later today and post what I see inside! ..also I haven’t greased them since I’ve owned the trailer so this should be interesting… venture trailer.
They are dexter eze lube axles and those aren't bearing buddies. pop the rubber insert and purge the bearings with your grease gun. the quality of escaping grease will tell the tail of your bearings condition.

here is what you have. You can get the replacement for the deformed piece on Amazon

They are dexter eze lube axles and those aren't bearing buddies. pop the rubber insert and purge the bearings with your grease gun. the quality of escaping grease will tell the tail of your bearings condition.
Lol.. good to know. Love the advise on this forum :)

Well personally that trailer would have never left my yard the first time until those bearings were changed. Regardless of its supposed history the only history you can be sure of is your own. If it were me, I would take a flat chisel and knock off those caps, doesn't matter that they will be destroyed, get rid if them and start fresh, get new caps, bearings and seals. Pack your bearings, install new seals and races, clean up the hub and install new caps. Now you know what you have and your set.

But thats just me.

I experience the same issue as you. I have purchased this Rigid Hitch 280453-2 trailer bearing to replace it. I had never done a bearing install before. the work is a challenge but a welcome one. at first, I had thought I would forego replacing the races but I'm glad I decided against that. everything has been fine since the installation.
Your did the right thing in replacing the bearings and the races. You should not put a new bearing in an old race. Will it run? Of course, but you will not get the same life out of it. Always replace in sets.

Well personally that trailer would have never left my yard the first time until those bearings were changed. Regardless of its supposed history the only history you can be sure of is your own. If it were me, I would take a flat chisel and knock off those caps, doesn't matter that they will be destroyed, get rid if them and start fresh, get new caps, bearings and seals. Pack your bearings, install new seals and races, clean up the hub and install new caps. Now you know what you have and your set.

But thats just me.
Already done :) all new race(s), bearings and break pads. I had a shop replace the bearings on one axel a couple years ago and they a wee bit of rust. The bearings on the axel I did not get changed were still in perfect condition despite all the years, miles and dunkings. Everything was changed regardless and now that I’ve done it once and bought the right tools, it will be a breeze to do every year or two

Attachments

• 9971F7F2-7D16-4618-B4B5-4A4C82BB097C.jpeg
    9971F7F2-7D16-4618-B4B5-4A4C82BB097C.jpeg
    499 KB · Views: 69
  • 6EF87276-F891-4680-B54F-8F3E9F4B7609.jpeg
    6EF87276-F891-4680-B54F-8F3E9F4B7609.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 55D9607B-1BD3-4734-9989-2BFFA9E17D48.jpeg
    55D9607B-1BD3-4734-9989-2BFFA9E17D48.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 69
Back